• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hey everyone, I'm back!!!

Sorry there's no pictures, but there's too little for you guys to even critique (it's just a base and station structure and the start to the lift). So since this is again going to follow the same structure style as the original H-J I made, this will be a tube supported coaster. I just need some help or advice on the backbone for the lift.

The backbone was orignally going to be box supports, but that would ruin the look that I'm aiming for but I want to try tubes as a backbone, but IDK how it will work out. Anyone else have an idea or suggestion on how to make a good backbone that won't take up all my parts? (If you need pictures, let me know and I'll post them for you)

THANKS! (And yes, this will be the new HyperJump's construction thread)

LaMbChOpZ!!!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

Maybe the backbone forgottogrowup had on whirlwind?

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#3 kwoolever

kwoolever

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

Pictures please?

I love to see pics of coasters.

~Wookie (ninja)

~I AM A BUILDER~

Posted Image

#4 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

Pictures!!! (2)

Close up-ish of the station structure and start to lift (no prelift)

Posted Image

Farther out view of the base (not all of it) and the lift

Posted Image

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#5 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

I've used the same backbone on all my coasters. It's really strong and compact enough to look good with tube supported coasters. There are lot's of other good ones on other coasters as well. Many have much better chain returns than mine. It does not use a ton of pieces. But how can you talk about conserving pieces and then show a picture of that base!?, talk about using lot's of pieces!

Posted Image

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#6 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

^ Hahaha, I know! My awesome base takes up every single one of my blue parts except for one, but I have over $50 put aside for K'nex. If I have to, I can always buy more blues and the super small green rods because I have very few of them.

I really like you backbone, but now I have to build it and figure out to connect tubes to it but it shouldn't be too big of a problem because I see how right away, but I feel like being lazy and not explaining.

Expect picture updates in about 3 or 4 hours. I'm just starting to build now.

#7 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

Bad news FTGU, it didn't work out. I tried for about 4 hours yesterday and made several attempts and restarted a few times, but I couldn't get it!

However, I have an idea, so let's hope it will work out...

#8 kwoolever

kwoolever

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

uhh how did you make that turnaround hill? i don;t know ho to build it.

~Wookie (ninja)

~I AM A BUILDER~

Posted Image

#9 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

^Uhmmm, unless you're talking about my turnaround (which I don't have) try to keep it off this specific thread because this is about my coaster and its many problems, not his turnaround. If you really need to ask how, post on his profile or PM him.

UPDATE in 4 or so hours.

#10 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

DP, but it's for an UPDATE!!!!

So I finally figured out how to make a nice-ish backbone that works very well with tube supports. Just wanted to let all of you know, this went from a compact looper to now just a hyper/stand-up -ished styled coaster. The layout has been determined, but it keeps changing by only a little bit.

Since my spring break just started yesterday and goes for 9 days, that means that I could get this thing done by then! So the layout that I had planned, which you might be able to figure out by the base, is a banked turning drop ( Intamin / BM styled. Can't decide yet ), and from there an air hill or zero-g-roll, then banked rising turn around, and then some bunnie hills weaving left and right (you'll see what I mean later), then a turn around, then bunny hills, 90 turn, Brake block, then 90 turn into station.

Here's the pics: ENJOY!!

Overall.

Posted Image

Rest of the Lift hill; going to be working on it tonight/ tomorrow.

Posted Image

I know a few of you are probably wondering how I connect the tubes to the backbone, well this is how: (see picture). It's fairly easy, and keeps the backbone level and centerd all the time.

Posted Image

And since I had a lot of extra time while figuring out the backbone, I also made the station as you can see, and I really like how close and level it is with the station floor.

Posted Image

Comment about any problems that you see or anything and I'll see what I do, but try not to be too harsh, this is my first lift hill with tubes.

#11 Eggo

Eggo

Vote for Pedro!

• 1212 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

Radii's on the crest plox? I like it, it's cute... But how are you going to get that long of a layout out of that height?

Posted Image
|Millennium Force|TTD|El Toro|Bizarro|Maverick|Wildfire|Nitro|

#12 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

^Radii's? Crest plox? Idk what your saying there.

The layout is subject to change, so if I have to, I'll change it, but I rarely stick to my layout plans.

#13 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

He wants you to use radii supports on the crest please. I disagree though, I think it would look better with just tubes.

#14 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

^ Well that's what it is, because I just finished making the curved tubes for the backbone, and after all that work, sorry Eggo, but I'm not changing it. When I was building I forgot that if you curve a tube that has flexies, the ones closer in will have extra coming out of it so it will be messed up but I've compensated for that. I might post another update tomorrow, but all I've changed since was the height of the 3rd tube support by making it 3 greys now instead of 2 and a red, but now lowered it by a small green rod.

Update will be tomorrow, so maybe around noon or so (it's 11pm here)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compact, hyper jump, hyperjump, lambchopz