TRON: The Ride

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#41 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

Steel, you are a LEGEND! THat's amazing trackwork and shaping! Cnan't wait to see this one done.

#42 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:09 AM

Steel, I really love your transitions :). I saw that first picture and I didn't expect it to be that high, you must have a powerful launch!

That could be very powerful because he used surgical tubing.

I love the S pull in and the helix at the top, combining it makes it look epic!

Keep it up colonel! :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:28 AM

Wow nice, the shaping looks perfect IMO!

I can't wait to see some more elements in this ride, it's epic so far!

#44 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

This looks really great steel, and certainly realistic to the actual one on Ring Racer! As far as I can see, nothing is needed to change on the beautiful and clean trackwork. I especially love the third picture of the ride that gives an amazing side view with beautiful shaping. Just wondering, is it easier to shape and follow the layout with the flexi rods?

Posted Image

#45 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

That trackwork looks so perfect! Was there a special reason you continued building with flexies instead of greys?

Posted Image

#46 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

Shaping and layout look incredible, no flaws at all. Please continue.

Posted Image

#47 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

Not at these speeds...

My point is that a stengle dive is a camelback with a twist on the top, this is more of an airhill/overbanked turn like on Maverick like Gump said.

Like the new element :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

I love the supports. They are minimalistic looking, but they also look strong at the same time. Very nice style.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#49 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

Looks very goos steel. But shouldnt the highest point of the rise be right after the launch in case the train doesnt have enough speed to clear the hill. Then it would just roll back onto the launch and be launched again and not stall somehwere? Just a technical thingy I saw. Looks very good. Thats the only no positive thing I could find.

#50 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

Two awesome elements.
So far, I'm liking this a lot.

#51 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

Well based on your comments, I guess the shaping is good. Special thanks to RCDB for comparison pics and Knexrule11 for giving me advice while shaping the element.

That trackwork looks so perfect! Was there a special reason you continued building with flexies instead of greys?

I don't know what you mean. I am using both grays and flexis. Grays for areas that need lots of support, and flexis for tighter twists/curves.

I love the supports. They are minimalistic looking, but they also look strong at the same time. Very nice style.

Thanks, that is very encouraging to me, both to hear that you like it and to hear that I have a unique style.

Did anyone notice the major layout changes?

#52 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:36 AM

^I noticed the layot change, but wasn't sure if I was right so didn't mention it :D

Looking good so far, hope you can build some more when you come back of vacation! :)

#53 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:24 PM

Judging by the height of the second element compared to the first, the Stengel dive must hurt.
Looks great! I love unique elements.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#54 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:29 PM

^I was thinking that also.

But steel, this is impressive. Really great shaping. I've always liked you better with boxes anyways.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#55 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

Judging by the height of the second element compared to the first, the Stengel dive must hurt.
Looks great! I love unique elements.

Actually, it's based on a high speed Stengle dive, like the one on Maverick (now just to wait for gump to correct me.....). I've been on Maverick, and going through that Stengle dive at high speed is a amazing feeling.

I must say Steel, this looks way better than when I saw it the first time. Good job! And about this, I like the idea. But theming would be quite hard.

Kr11

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#56 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

I do agree ^, although this is a really nice picture (how'd you do it anyway?)

Since I last saw this, it does look like this is improving in the shaping and layout. Can't wait to see your next update!

Baaaaaa.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#57 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Again, thank you for all your encouraging comments. My trip was great, but I'm glad to be back.

So I started the airhill over the launch, but you can't really see that in this video.

I've worked on the launch too. I replaced my custom motor with 2 SS motors, which also required a LOT fewer gears. If I run the motors off normal battery power, they can reset the launch in about 35-40 seconds, which isn't too bad if that's all you have. But I'm going to try running them off wall-power and see how fast it can reset that way.

I watched Tron for the first time on Tuesday night and loved it. I think it would make a nice theme for this coaster, how about you?

That's all, folks!

#58 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

Oh noez! Teh shakies! That is pretty much my only concern. Its fine unless you get speed issues later in the layout. Please continue!

Posted Image

#59 RightWayTrey

RightWayTrey

Automatic or nothing

• 702 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

Oh noez! Teh shakies! That is pretty much my only concern. Its fine unless you get speed issues later in the layout. Please continue!

If you are referring to the camera, then yes, major shaking problem. ;) However I thought the track was very sturdy for how much speed the train has.

Amazingly epic, as always Ryan. I could stare at that uber-smooth trackwork all day. :D

I find it amazing that two SS motors can reset that launch. I would have thought they would slip for sure.

Posted Image

Valleyfair Recres:..........My Tutorials:......

................Steel Venom................Automatic Station Gates.......

..........Corkscrew...................Automatic Drill Launch....

...Round About................Auto on/off switch..

#60 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

I really like the speed that the train launches at, being just the right speed and not too fast as I expected it would. Even as Trey said, the tower's structure is a lot stronger than I though it would be for the speed that the train was at, and really held well with that speed. The hill looks nice, so presume with the amazing layout and automation that is being worked on to get this awesome coaster in more of "the works".

Posted Image