Park Advice Thread

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

Going to an amusement park you haven't been to before and would like some advice for your trip? Ask here. This thread is for members to ask questions to make the most of their trip and visit of a specific park. Please don't post general information that people can find on the park website or randomly post advice for your home park. This is simply an "ask and respond" thread.

To start it off, I am heading off to Florida on Friday and will be visiting Sea World and Universal's Islands of Adventure. Sea World will be this Friday and Saturday, and IoA will be the following Saturday (June 18th). I already have a good idea of what I want to accomplish at Sea World, but IoA is where I'm looking for advice. My priorities are most of Harry Potter, Hulk, Spiderman, and Jurassic Park, but after that I'm unsure. I'm expecting very long lines and am really unsure of how much my sister and I can get done. Beyond this, what other rides would be good to experience? Anything in Suess Landing that is a must do? We won't be getting there at opening, so does it matter where we go first? What's the best show (that's free) to see if a storm rolls in?

I'm ready for some Butterbeer!!!

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#2 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

We went to florida in March. We were going to go to IoA but we went to busch gardens instead. Hoever, if your going to seaworld, ride manta in the morning before there are long lines. Kraken had short lines in the late afternoon/early evining. Manta and Kraken would have the shortest lines during shows as some 5000 people attend.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#3 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

I went to Universal Studios in December. I don't know if your going to the Florida side, but if you do go to Rip Ride Rockit first then The Mummy. You shouldn't have to worry about crowds to much there though, everyones going to the new Harry Potter section of IOA. At IOA however it's much more crowded. First, definitely go to Harry Potter Land because if not you'll need a pass just to get into the place, then you'll probably find yourself waiting 40 minutes instead of 5 hours to get on The Ride inside the Castle. While your there in Harry Potter I would get everything out of the way,(Dueling Dragons, Butterbeer, Hagrid's adventure or w/e). After that you shouldn't need too much of a plan because most people are trying to get into Harry Potter. Make sure you get Hulk, Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Popeye and Blutos Rapids thing, Rip saw falls, and Dr. Doom (In no specific order, just as you get to them). Just keep in mind your still going to have to wait a lot. The best way to skip lines is to use single rider lines as well. Only some of the rides have it but sure, if not sitting with your friends/family for a 2 minute ride skips 2 hours of waiting sure. :D
Hope this helps.

EDIT: I forgot your questions.

Seuss Landing is mostly for smaller children and I would not recommend riding anything unless you got through all that you wanted to and you have some time to kill. We waited for like 2 hours for The Seuss Trolley and It wasn't really worth it, but again if you have time, sure.

Since you aren't getting there at opening it may not matter but even so I would go to Harry Potter first, because if you don't do that early you might not be able to do it at all because of long ride times.

I think we only watched one show, Sinbad. It was okay but not really anything to talk about. Other than that I don't know too much about the shows.

Also if your looking for a decent sitdown meal at IOA go to this one restaurant in the rocks on the water. It had really good food but you might need too make a reservation. Butterbeer is great you'll love it, have fun.

I'm going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg this summer and I don't know what to do. I know I should go to Griffon first, but I don't know what to do after that, maybe Mach Tower?

-AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#4 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

There is a chance that I could be going to either Dollywood or SFOG this summer for a day. SFOG has bigger and badder coasters, but does Dollywood tend to have less people? I'd prob go to SFOG, but whats the difference between the 2 (besides the coasters)?

Posted Image

#5 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

2015ASM, both of my visits to Busch Gardens Williamsburg have seen fairly calm mornings. Germany opens an hour after the rest of the park, and the crowd is fairly split between Apollo/Italy, Griffon/France, and Loch Ness Monster. Both times I've gone I went to Griffon first since Alpengeist is right there. Mach Tower will have a decent wait, so I would go over to Apollo first and be at the rope for Germany once the time gets close.

STKD, I found Dollywood a lot of fun. Thunderhead beats any coaster at SFOG (personal preferance pending), and the Adventure Mountain rope course is a great side attraction (that's free). Dollywood is absolutely beautiful, just a step below BGW. It was a bit crowded, but I don't know how that compares to SFOG. But SFOG does offer a lot more in coasters.

SSCoasters Staff

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

#6 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

Kevin, Ripsaw Falls and Popeye's Bilge Rat Barges are must hit attractions. Best water rides I have been on.

I'd probably waiting until the afternoon to hit Potter. Hopefully will have calmed down a bit by then. When I went this past March, Dragon Challenge had no line even though the rest of the area was slammed. If you are not getting their at opening, the Marvel area will also probably be packed.

#7 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Does anyone know of any good theme Parks near Destin, Florida? My mom wants me to find one.

Posted Image

#8 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

There ain't nothing in the Florida Panhandle. Trust me, lived there for 18 years.

Here is the list of parks within 100 miles of there, only three of which are open:

Sam's Fun City Pensacola, Florida, USA Operating 38 276° W
Miracle Strip Amusement Park Panama City Beach, Florida, USA - 50 109° ESE
Cobra Adventure Park Panama City Beach, Florida, USA Operating 52 109° ESE
Petticoat Junction Panama City, Florida, USA - 61 107° ESE
Waterville USA Gulf Shores, Alabama, USA Operating 64 259° W
Gulf Shores Amusement Park Gulf Shores, Alabama, USA - 64 259° W

#9 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

Im going to park saint paul in the vancation some realy great kiddy rides there does anyboyd know on wich dates it's bussy there.

Posted Image

#10 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

STKD, your best bet would be SFOG. It's pretty much the only major park that's not terribly out of the way.

SSCoasters Staff

#11 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

Update on the big day tomorrow at IoA.

Due to the crowds, my parents have decided to wake up early enough so that we make it to the park at opening (8 AM) or shortly after. At this point with what I've heard from you guys, it would be best to go straight to Harry Potter. Would that be correct?

Also, would it be worth the $50 dollars (of my parents money) to get the Express Pass? The whole fast queue thing is something that I've always seen an enhancement, but not a necessity. For Sea World, we got free Quick Queue passes just for staying at a partnered hotel, and while they were great for a quick re-ride, we would have been fine without them. With Universal's Express Pass though, it's only one ride for each participating attraction.

Priority list: Harry Potter section, Hulk, Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Ripsaw Falls, Popeye's, and Dr Doom.

Again, it is a Saturday. Please share your thoughts, even if you haven't been before, but especially do if you have.

SSCoasters Staff

#12 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

I went there a saturday of may (2 years ago) and there was a 5 minutes waiting time for Dueling Dragons and 10 minutes waiting time for all the rides in the Jurassic section. Howerver, the queue of Incredible hulk was long (at least 1 hour).

Posted Image

#13 BGEurope Kid

BGEurope Kid

Architect

• 476 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

Asm2015. When you go to Busch Gardens, I wouldn't worry too much about hitting Griffon first. That line moves very fast and isn't too bad of a wait during the day. To be honest, Aplengeist has the slowest moving line (becasue they rarely run all 3 trains) so I would try to go there sooner than later. Can't say much about mach tower yet becasue it's not open. As for a plan,... When the park opens, go through Ireland to New France. Ride Giffon a few times then walk over to Alpengeist. You can probably get 2-3 rides on each in about and hour. This will get you to about 11am when Germany opens. From Aplengeist, head to mach tower. Get a ride or two there then I'd go do bumper cars and swing ride until lunch. If you want variety and german food and such, eat at the festhaus. The smokehouse (New France) is really good and theres a few good italian places (Italy). After lunch, head over to Italy and do Apollo's. From Italy, you can take the train back to New France or go from there.

Hope this helped some.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

Don't waste the money on the Express pass. If it is so crowded you need it, you can buy it at the park. As for Potter, I'd play it by how many people are there waiting in line when you get there. If it is packed, I'd skip and come back later.

#15 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Wow, did not realize you were going on the 1 year anniversary of Potter opening.

#16 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

Any advice for SFGA in New Jersey? I might go this summer.

#17 Coaster105

Coaster105

Lead Engineer

• 1035 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

So, I know I could probably find out myself, but I thought I'd one of you would know right away.

I'm going to Canada's Wonderland for 2 days, as well as Cedar Point for 2 days. Will a season pass get me to both of them, or does it have to be a "platinum pass"? And also, is it cheaper to get a seasons pass, or just pay 2 days at each?

-Coaster105

Youtube Channel

#18 BGEurope Kid

BGEurope Kid

Architect

• 476 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:39 PM

I'm going to King's Dominion Friday and was just curious if any of you have any tips or anything about crowds. I don't think King's Dominion is anyones home park (Not sure about this) but anything is appreciated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:41 AM

^ Dominator open at 10 with the front gates, a half hour before the rest of the park. During both my visits last year, I never saw a 305 wait longer than 10 minutes, but Volcano's line was still over 45 minutes at times. I would hit Volcano first once the whole park opens and get a few rides while the crowd is smaller. Dominator's longest lines are between 10:30 and about 12, since that's the first coaster the guests see. It seems the heaviest flow of people is clockwise around the park starting with Dom, Volcano, and I305, after that it disperses. Just stay slightly ahead of the big crowd, and getting there at 10 for Dominator is certainly a good head start.

I'll be taking my girlfriend to Kings Dominion on July 9th and 10th. Along with CP, KD is a "home park away from home" for me, since I pass through Virginia every 2 or 3 years.

SSCoasters Staff

#20 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

Yeah, I've gone to KD several times this year and it's surprising how short 305's line is throughout the whole day. I would do Dominator first but only if you get there right at 10. I've almost always done Old Virginia last and I've never had many huge lines (except for maybe White Water Canyon if it's a hot day). Drop Zone is never a very long wait as it's capacity is great. Also remember that Shockwave and Avalanche open at 12. Oh, and Rebel Yell is best in the second to back or very front seat.

-OL659-

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba