FINAL VIDEO!! Top Thrill Dragster Re-creation

automatic dropzone knex tower of power

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

If you want to go for complete accuracy, the back column should tilt toward the front 2 columns starting about 2/3 of the way up.
Posted Image

#22 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

I angled the back tower more but I am to lazy to take pictures of it, I will try to update tomorrow though.

Posted Image

#23 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

Small update, I made the back angled support and the angled sections near the top of the two front towers. Tell me if I need to change the angle of anything.

Posted Image

#24 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

It looks pretty good, but your connections look weak, see picture 2.

-AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#25 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

I will work on strengthening the supports. thank you.

Posted Image

#26 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

I expanded on Ccron10's magnetic braking system and created a large section of brakes. I put small super magnets on the bottom of each car and taped a ten foot galvonized steel plate to the center tubing.

Test videos:

Top thrill brakes.mp4

Top thrill brakes 2.mp4

I will change it so that I can get the correct stopping distance for the ride.
I also finished the towers, I am working on the elevator right now.

Please comment.

Edit: sorry for the bad picture of the car, I just got a new camera and I'm still trying to figure it out..

Posted Image

#27 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

Those brakes work great! I'm impressed.

#28 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

To me it seems like the brakes are just rubbing. But I could be wrong.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#29 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

The magnets and the steel are connecting which causes it to slow down, I don't know if I can fix it. I know it isn't how real magnetic brakes work but it stops the cars.

Posted Image

#30 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

With the braking system I'm using for my Zac Spin, Orange Rush, I'm using N40 Neodymium magnets and I'm doing almost exactly what you did.

I will tell you that your magnets must be touching, because why would the car shake the way it does towards the end of the video. When I was testing my magnets like you did, mine just came to a quick yet controlled and smooth stop. If you feel like you need to change them then I would suggest that you put the magnets in a linear direction following the track (going straight down the middle of the car) if you have more. The closer they are to the track the faster the deacceleration will be, thus the shorter your brake run will have to be.

You don't want your magnets too close or else they could attract the metal in the track and possibly separate from the car, but you don't want it too far away meaning the magnets become practically useless. If you need a picture of what I mean I can post it on here or PM it to you. Feel free to PM me too about any problems about the magnetic braking system because I'd be willing to help!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#31 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

Update! I made the pullout and the brake section.
I will probably leave the brakes the way they are, the sound isn't as bad as in the video and it works. I can adjust the brakes to get the right stopping distance if I need to.
Tell me if I need to change anything.

Test video: Test video

Posted Image

#32 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

Question: Do you think it is worth the time and money to make my brakes accurate or should I leave them the way they are? (This is for a variety show at my school so they won't know or care if the brakes are accurate).

Please answer my question or comment.
Thanks.

Posted Image

#33 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Nah, I think you should leave them as they are now. They work pretty efficient, and bear in mind that the train will pick up some more speed from the top of the tower than it has now so it will effect the brake a little, but not too much.

Posted Image

#34 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how effective magnets on the cars and on the track would be, so that it doesn't touch but right now I will leave it how it is like you said.

Edit:How does the shaping of the pullout look?

Posted Image

#35 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

The radius of the pullout seems to decrease as the pullout progresses, when it should be the opposite. Pretty much flip the pullout over and that would be perfect.

#36 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Thanks. I will do that.

I'm thinking about the magnetic brakes and think it might be impressive if I can get the coaster to stop without it touching anything, I think the people at my school would love it.
It might be worth investing time and money into.

Posted Image

#37 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

Looks great man, but I see some problems with the base you chose if you want to use my launch. You should be able to make it work though.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#38 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

The pullout needs track strengtheners.

Formally RK500

#39 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

This is looking great man. You should definitely work on the brakes some more. It would be a lot better to have them a little more accurate.

Posted Image

#40 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

I will strengthen the track. Thank you.

Posted Image