FINAL VIDEO!! Top Thrill Dragster Re-creation

automatic dropzone knex tower of power

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

Update. I strengthened the pullout but the rest of the brake section and the twist still have to be strengthened more.

Pullout test

Twist test

Posted Image

#62 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

Speed looks deadly through the twist :D, but supporting looks good!

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#63 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

I got the magnets but am having problems with the brakes. They are pulling the cars back but also pushing them forward. I have them set up like this.

I-I__I-I__I-I
I -----------\
-------------- Car
I-I South
\/

/\
North
-------------------------------------------------------------------Track

I do have an idea but I don't know if it will work. My theory is that the two south ends will push apart and the south and north will pull together.

I-I__I-I__I-I
I-----------\
------------- Car
I-I South
\/

<South|_| North>
-------------------------------------------------------------------Track

Does anyone think my idea will work or have ideas on how to fix it?

Posted Image

#64 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

I had this problem when I tried with magnets. But lamb said this is how his magnets are setup. I'm still waiting for pictures to make sure I set mine up right.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#65 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

The only way you can find out is by trying.

#66 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

I will try my new idea(the one in blue)on friday.

Posted Image

#67 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:23 PM

I like how you are using a clever technique for the brakes. But remember, equal opposite forces cancel each other out. If you were to buy another set of WD50, and placed them on the track a certain way, then you might get a better result. Place on south WD50, and the one north WD40 on the other side. For the next one, place a north WD50, and then a south WD40, and repeat the pattern. Once you've gotten to a steady speed, put some kind of transfer device to move it around.

I hope that this helps.

Formally RK500

#68 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:54 AM

I like how you are using a clever technique for the brakes. But remember, equal opposite forces cancel each other out. If you were to buy another set of WD50, and placed them on the track a certain way, then you might get a better result. Place on south WD50, and the one north WD40 on the other side. For the next one, place a north WD50, and then a south WD40, and repeat the pattern. Once you've gotten to a steady speed, put some kind of transfer device to move it around.

I hope that this helps.

WD40/50? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Posted Image

#69 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

^I mean 40 N40, 50 N50, 40 S40 and 40 S50 magnets.

Formally RK500

#70 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

I don't have much money but if my idea doesn't work I will try yours.
Thank you.

Posted Image

#71 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

Update! I finished most of the structure now all I need is the technical stuff. I have decided I am going to try a latex tubing launch and if that doesn't work I am open to suggestions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the gap and the structure for the launch, I will continue to make it stronger.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#72 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

The crest looks a bit too circular, you might want to push that up a little more. Also, if you're going for complete realism, you might want to make the launch and brake run not parallel. They should get nearer to each other as they get closer to the station.
Posted Image

#73 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

I got the magnets but am having problems with the brakes. They are pulling the cars back but also pushing them forward. I have them set up like this.
I do have an idea but I don't know if it will work. My theory is that the two south ends will push apart and the south and north will pull together.\Does anyone think my idea will work or have ideas on how to fix it?

I had this problem when I tried with magnets. But lamb said this is how his magnets are setup. I'm still waiting for pictures to make sure I set mine up right.

Yes mine somewhat worked, but then again they were entering them under 30cm/sec. I'm actually planning a new design right now using a bit more materials than just magnets in the car. I would suggest using Aaron's design, seems to work very well for him.

v Well I realized that after building it, it's just using the magnetic fields colliding into each other to stop it, not an attracting forces or any other ones are involved. Like I said, I'm improving it / basing it off of Aaron's design, but with a few modifications...

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#74 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:25 AM

That's because your design is scientifically proven not to have any net braking effect.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#75 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

I just thought of something: have magnets on the car lift up some friction brakes. Maybe? Or just aarons method.

#76 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

^ That is what my first braking design was, it lifted metal to the magnets and stopped the train, that is my last resort choice.

Edit: I am going to talk to a friend of mine who knows all about magnets and hopefully I can figure something out.

Posted Image

#77 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Update! We have a test video of the launch, it is not at the right speed but it will be changed.

Please comment!

Posted Image

#78 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

That looks great, just get the launch to an ideal speed and it'll be perfect.

#79 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

What is this? You didn't post the actual video of the time it broke? ;)
I have been waiting for this.
So yeah, basically we will have the launch more consistent, expect another update in say a week or so.

#80 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

Well, I have a verbal update. Josh and I spent some time working on the automation, and came up with a very minimalistic but consistent and effective design. I also came up with a universal tire drive system that will get the perfect height every time. Also, the automation uses no knex motors or NXT or electronics. More to come.