FINAL VIDEO!! Top Thrill Dragster Re-creation

automatic dropzone knex tower of power

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

It looks like you guys tried your very best to get the middle car like that... :P

Posted Image

#82 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

I have been looking at pictures of the Dragster and it seems our launch is no where near as long as it should be. Do you think it would be worth it to extend the launch?

Posted Image

#83 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

No, I very much disagree on this one. We wouldn't be able to test it because it wouldn't fit, and our super thick surgical tubing doesn't need a long launch.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#84 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

okay, but shouldn't the length not matter because we can just lengthen the string and that should not effect the launch. We could build the track section and take it with us then we could add it when we get to the variety show and replace the string, if it fails we just switch it out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#85 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Actually, I think that we have the length pretty accurate based off of the picture.

#86 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

I don't think the length has to be 100% accurate based off the picture. As long as it looks good it's fine to me. The most important thing is to get a good working and powerful launch (which doesn't break your cars :P)

Posted Image

#87 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Okay, sounds good. I will be adding a catch mechanism at the top to prevent a rollback and the catwalk at the top soon.

Posted Image

#88 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Small update. I made the catwalk on top, the positioning is not final and the elevator section is not final. I also have some pictures of the launch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

NOT FINAL SHAPING!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wind up crank

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#89 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Almost finished with the station ceiling, just need to angle the first section up more. The automation is coming along, Alpal has almost completed it but it may still be a week or two. The show that we are taking it to is on the 16 of March I think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#90 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

That honestly looks amazing, definitely one of the better recreations of this out there.

Edit-- You sure about that string? Looks like you could have a cable snap with how much it's wearing.

#91 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

About the string- We will double it up and adjust the length so that it will work with the automation, but at the moment, it can take a lot. We have launched it so that it flies over the top, and we had no problems. We will show pictures of the automation once it is working to an extent, Right now my main focus is to make the gear setup strong and durable. For each gear connection, I have 2 gears and 4 tan clips with a black rod as the drive rod. It is holding a ton of tension. My only concern is this: does the tension increase when something is geared up? I am gearing down the drill, but I have a concern that the tan clips will snap off easier by the drill. Is tension evenly spread between different gears?

#92 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

^^Thank you for the comment!

Edit: ^We should just super glue the tan clips so they don't come off.;)

Posted Image

#93 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

That station is awesome.

This coaster is very nice, I love the colors that you used for the supports. Well done!

#94 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

That station looks really good.
Could you please have another look at the heartline roll? It could be a lot smoother.

Posted Image

#95 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Posted Image

IMO I think that you should incline the launch like in the picture. Everthing else looks amazing to me. Keep up the good work.

#96 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

^^^Thank you.
^^I said the heartlining is not complete and I will fix it.
^Our launch inclines slightly, I will make it steeper though.

Thank you for your help and your comments!

Posted Image

#97 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Where have I seen such kind of launch before? Oh yes, it was my garden. It works, just make sure you don't launch your car with 55km/h (35mph) because then you will lose another car. Also, do you want to automate it (or is it yet?), because you guys are gonna need a very very very strong engine, geared down for about 4 times, to be able to pull your launch back in its entire. Good luck.

-=tK=-

Posted Image

#98 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

We are attempting to automate it, we are going to use an electric hand drill to wind up the launch. I am optimistic about it and think that we might be able to pull it off. I fixed the heartline roll (I will post pictures in the next update) and slightly increased the incline (I cannot get a good pic until we move the coaster).

Does anyone have a good picture of the entry and the path of the ride? If so could you post it please, because I can't find any.

Posted Image

#99 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

IDK you could go to CP and get one yourself :P

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#100 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

It is the middle of winter and my deadline is in mid-March.

Posted Image