FINAL VIDEO!! Top Thrill Dragster Re-creation

automatic dropzone knex tower of power

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

Huge Update!!! Finished the last turn, the brakes (using copper and magnets to make eddie currents) and did some theming. We are hoping to finish the launch soon but there is so much tension our pieces keep breaking, we are trying to come up with solutions.

Three car test, we ordered more magnets to increase the power.
Brake test

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Broken pieces. The black rod snapped because of tension and the red rod broke because the launch string sliced through it.

Posted Image

#122 REXENK

REXENK

Learner of the tubes

• 216 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

On the zero g roll...why do you use the black connectors then the flexis

Posted Image

Thanks ~steelspectrum~!

#123 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

^It is a heartline roll not a zero-g-roll. I use them because it makes it easier for me to shape the roll.

More comments?

Posted Image

#124 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Comments????????? Come on people, one comment for tons of work and progress, including magnetic brakes on a large scale.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#125 Spitfire

Spitfire

SSC Graphics Designer

• 1753 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

The mechanics in this are very impressive. If we're talking about accuracy, the vertical heartline is a bit too abrupt/quick and doesn't go down far enough. Also, the tophat is too rounded- it needs to peak a bit more. Otherwise, don't let that get you down about the effort you put into everything; I'm really impressed. Nice work!

(cop) SSCoasters Staff (cop)
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Posted Image
Maverick | Millennium Force | Ravine Flyer II | Top Thrill Dragster | Kumba

#126 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

I wish I knew how to automate like that :( . Looks great by the way! :)

#127 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

^The heartline roll ends and starts at the correct points it just looks too short because the track is wider than in the real ride. I will fix the tophat, thank you for your comment.

Posted Image

#128 REXENK

REXENK

Learner of the tubes

• 216 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for telling me about the heart line roll. Do the brakes slow it down enough.

Posted Image

Thanks ~steelspectrum~!

#129 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

^You're welcome. The brakes slow it down perfectly, I just got more magnets and tested with the full train and it stopped in exactly the right spot.

Posted Image

#130 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Update!! Almost done! Automation is almost complete, station roof has been put on, path almost finished, Alpal set up an automatic audio that plays the "arms up, head back" thing, an automatic launch assistant has been made to take tension off all of the gears by the station, and the hallway has been cleaned, all in one day (I am very tired). Still need to place station chains, station gates ( they will not be automated, just for decoration), finish automation of launch, and finish scenery and path.

Posted Image
Overview

Posted Image
Station

Posted Image
Path and speakers for audio

Posted Image
Overview

Posted Image
Station area

Posted Image
This is the pullback assist, it is in the building at the end of the launch, when tension is placed of the launch string the gears on the motor and the gears connected to the string connect therefore assisting in pulling the launch, what is genius about it is that when the launch releases near the station the gears on the assist come apart and release.

We are going to start moving it to our school on Wednesday. Feel free to comment!

Posted Image

#131 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

Impressive work!

Posted Image

#132 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

That's impressive! Great work on all the details, i love it :)

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#133 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Its so pretty, I would be extremely nervous working with this, only because of the fact that it cleanly split a rod in two. Imagine what that would do to a finger....or a hand...... :o

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#134 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

^I feel the same way. It is extremely hard to fully automate a powerful launch. the tension also ripped a black rod in half. The automation has been the most difficult thing I have done in my life.

About the mechanism that I designed, the assist motor is on a hinge. That piece moves back and forth when the main string of the launch moves across the pulley that is connected to the assist motor. When the automation is pulling back, the string makes the assist motor and gear fall into place, and it begins to help crank up the launch. When the automation lets go, then the string moves the other way, immediately lifting the assist motor out of the way, allowing the assist spool to be free, and releasing the launch. It works without fail.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#135 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

It looks awesome! Nice details and I love the station, can't wait to see this in action :)

Posted Image

#136 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

After many months of waiting we finally present to you: The final video of Top Thrill Dragster! As you will notice in the video, there is no automation. This tragedy was due to the fact that knex are plastic, and cannot withstand 50+ pounds of torque. It was a sad but glorious day when we launched the coaster in front of our fans. But, despite the uselessness of the automation on Top Thrill Dragster, we have found another use for it. Stay tuned...

Posted Image

#137 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Nice coaster overall, I love this ride, I've been on it twice!

#138 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Awesome video! Whether the automation worked or not, it was still a great recreation.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#139 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

When I went to Cedar Point the puul in and out were shaking. Even without the carts going through that part. Thats one of the reasons I didn't go on that coaster!

#140 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

This turned out quite good. I really like the whole station part of it. It looks so good!!!! :)

Posted Image