FINAL VIDEO!! Top Thrill Dragster Re-creation

automatic dropzone knex tower of power

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

This pictures comes very close to it, you can see the little concrete tunnel entrance to the queue line (which is placed soon before the pulleys on the launch).

Posted Image

...and this picture shows the middle area where the queue line wraps around behind those tan(ish) colored walls.

Posted Image

I would have some more picture but I can't find anything better than these, in depth pictures of the low area of the ride are hard to come by.

#102 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

Thank you!

Posted Image

#103 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

I found this on Bing maps:
Posted Image

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#104 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Update! I fixed the second pullout, made most of the path and the tunnel under the launch, I even added vending machines. I also finished the station roof and built the building behind the exit station. Alpal worked on the automation, it is growing in size and looks kind of confusing to me, I will let him explain exactly how it works.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#105 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

Haha, loving the detail you have there. If you want it even better you should add the cool stat signs they have throughout the Queue on the wall next to the launch.

#106 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

^ I agree. The detail is great and that is one very complex launch mechanism. You should make a video of how it works.

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#107 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hehehehe... You guys will like the automation I have in store. 1 switch for the entire coaster's automation, and the actual automation part involves no knex motors. Just a power drill. Booya.
Cookie to whoever figures it out with those two pictures.

Edit: Love this:

Alpal worked on the automation, it is growing in size and looks kind of confusing to me

#108 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Auromation - Something I will never be able to do or understand.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#109 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

^I couldn't agree more.

The details of the ride are no where near completed, we still have a lot of work to do. I think I can finish the brakes in about 2 weeks, that is if I don't run into problems.

I tested the string we are using right now and it supported about 25lbs and it broke, so I will go to the store and buy some 40 or 60lbs fishing wire.

Posted Image

#110 Eggo

Eggo

Vote for Pedro!

• 1212 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

Is it a drill powered launch, or a rubber launch? If its a drill launch automation should be fairly simple. (To those who can understand it) I take that either A. It is not a drill launch, or B. You want everything hooked up to one switch.

I think it works like this:
Posted Image
If the "thing" isn't for a power strip I don't know how you'll get the drill automated, and since I have no clue what type of launch it is, I can't figure out how it works completely

EDIT: Now I see it is not a drill launch, so the drill turns that drum to pull back the rubber material, and the drill will turn itself on and off with a switch and a power strip.

Posted Image
|Millennium Force|TTD|El Toro|Bizarro|Maverick|Wildfire|Nitro|

#111 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

^ K then where is the release system (oh my GOD I actually understood that mess of gears)

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#112 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Ok, I just want to say that the automation is not nearly finished. I have the main mechanism working, what you see there. I still need to make the switch and more gears to scale down the speed and give me more torque. The switch you see actually moves the entire gear assembly over so that the power is released from cranking the launch.

#113 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

That's an interesting way of doing things.

#114 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

I have an idea for the brakes and it is going to be incredible! It is a secret though and I will not have it done for a few weeks.

Posted Image

#115 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Can't wait to see what it is! This is coming together wonderfully by the way, it looks great.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#116 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Update. Finished a bit more scenery and Alpal worked on the automation.
I have also done some car modifications for the brakes, I can't show you too much or you might figure out what we are planning.

Automation test

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#117 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Oh, and I also finished the switch, the picture shown is not the final. Automation should be completed soon.

#118 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hey, verbal update. We did some testing today, everything is working exactly as planned, except that the last gear connection is slipping. I have a complete gearbox, black rods for the drive rods, 4 red gears with 2 tan clips on each, tan clips are in the same direction (To prevent wobble), and it is pretty much as strong as possible. Any tips? Also, just in case you were wondering, the drill handles the tension with ease, and the release mechanism is working perfectly.

#119 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

You're putting the fins/wheels on the back of the train?

#120 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

^Yes. Sadly I will not have time to finish my super awesome brakes (I will try them on my next coaster maybe) but I still have ideas. A monster update is coming so be prepared. If you have suggestions for the brakes that could be helpful, last resort is friction brakes and I do NOT want to use them.

Posted Image