FINAL VIDEO!! Top Thrill Dragster Re-creation

automatic dropzone knex tower of power

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

Should I use grey rods or orange rods for the supports?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

I really like your breaks and like you said no one who is not obsessed with coasters would ever know the difference. So personally I wouldn't spend more money on the breaks. Now if it was for like summer heat of something I probably would have more realistic breaks.
Hey Josh do you think you could tell me when that variety show thing I would love to see this in person if I could.

Posted Image

#42 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

Thanks. I will do that.

I'm thinking about the magnetic brakes and think it might be impressive if I can get the coaster to stop without it touching anything, I think the people at my school would love it.
It might be worth investing time and money into.

He he he. I say you should give it a shot because if it does, it will look and be realistic and just awesome.

^Well the magnets I was telling him about are N40 Neodymium Magnets, 25 for 9.99 free shipping, and they work great. I'm using them for my Summer Heat coaster, but you can still use them for any coaster if you're willing to spend the money now and recieve the benefits from then on.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#43 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:52 AM

FINALLY! An awesome tubed recreation. It's the first one i've seen. The magnetic brakes will be amazing. Even if they touch.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#44 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

I really like your breaks and like you said no one who is not obsessed with coasters would ever know the difference. So personally I wouldn't spend more money on the breaks. Now if it was for like summer heat of something I probably would have more realistic breaks.
Hey Josh do you think you could tell me when that variety show thing I would love to see this in person if I could.

I think it is sometime in January (I have way too much time to finish this roller coaster so I should be able to perfect it) I will let you know the date when I find out.

He he he. I say you should give it a shot because if it does, it will look and be realistic and just awesome.

^Well the magnets I was telling him about are N40 Neodymium Magnets, 25 for 9.99 free shipping, and they work great. I'm using them for my Summer Heat coaster, but you can still use them for any coaster if you're willing to spend the money now and recieve the benefits from then on.

Thanks for your help, you won me over I'm going to try the magnetic brakes your way but it might be a while.

FINALLY! An awesome tubed recreation. It's the first one i've seen. The magnetic brakes will be amazing. Even if they touch.

Thank you.

I merged these for you
-KR11

Posted Image

#45 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

Microscopic-tiny update! I fixed the pullout and have nothing to do right now so I decided to update. The pictures of the pullout are hard to get because of the railing so it is hard to see but it looks better.

Posted Image

#46 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hey Josh, if you click Multi " for all of the posts you want to quote, when you click reply, they will be quoted in your posts.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#47 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

Update! I made the heartline roll and I think it looks good, I used Alpal's heartline tutorial to make it so it should be heartlined correctly. I had to place one extra support for stability but other than that it has 100% accurate supports. I am planning on adding more track connectors to the pullout but I am low on them because of Alpal's roller coaster. Please tell me if I need to change anything.

Posted Image

#48 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

Nice!!!!!!

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#49 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

Nice!!!!!!

Thank you.

If you didn't notice, in the third picture the roll has a bump in it so I fixed it.

Posted Image

#50 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

this looks awesome man. The best knex tube supported coaster ever!

#51 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

I will be using 40 N40 magnets to stop the train.

Posted Image

#52 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

Test video! The entire coaster shakes terribly so I am going to strengthen everything, mainly the brake section which you will see shakes the worst.

Test

I had my brother stop the coaster because I didn't feel like adjusted my brakes (laziness strikes again).

Posted Image

#53 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

Holy crap, that looks better than TBM's recre. Just strengthen the brake run!

#54 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

Holy crap, that looks better than TBM's recre. Just strengthen the brake run!

Thank You.

Posted Image

#55 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

This is just awesome. There is a little bump in the third picture but this thing is so awesome.

Posted Image

#56 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

I fixed the bump in the roll.

I think there might still be something wrong with the shaping of the roll, it doesn't quite look right.
Can anyone tell me if it looks right? Thanks!

Posted Image

#57 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

You might want to pull the middle of the roll out a bit more (to the left if you were looking at it straight on)

#58 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

Heartlining. It needs a lot more heartlining that it has now. Also it looks a little bumpy. Nice brakes btw.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#59 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Heartlining. It needs a lot more heartlining that it has now. Also it looks a little bumpy. Nice brakes btw.

Thanks for the help. I thought it looked a little flat.

Posted Image

#60 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

SHAKY. the pullout shakes alot. yeah.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]