[Tutorial] Magnetic Braking System

brakes lambchopz magnets tutorial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Just curious...... (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Just curious......

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Can a staff delete this? There need to be many changes to the design and I'm not happy with how it works in the current design.

EDIT:*** For the Poll, Option one should read: "I used this system: It did work" ***
Hello everyone!

After many questions, research, PM's, and experimenting later, I am now willing to put my tutorial for how to install magnets into your track and cars to use as brakes. I had a major problem with brakes on my newest coaster, Orange Rush, since the cars were custom and fragile, so this is a good and innovative system.

I will warn you that this tutorial is a bit more advanced than other tutorials, so if ANYONE has any questions about this, please post them in this thread or feel free to PM me!!

The parts you will need for all 3 parts:
  • Magnets (preferably 1/4 by 1/4 by 1/4 inch cubes)
  • Cardboard cut to 1/2 by 1/4 inch if using 1/4 cubes. If not, then make the width (1/4) bigger or smaller.
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • K'nex rods (size varies to situation)
  • K'nex connectors (depends on which car)
  • Either a custom car or a SS car

The tutorial will be broken up into 3 different sections- Installing the Magnets into your track, installing the magnets into a front SS car, and installing magnets into a middle/end SS car.

Please read through the entire tutorial to see how many magnets you should dedicate to your cars and track!

---- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----

Part 1: Installing the Magnets into your track:

The parts you will need for this part of the tutorial:
  • Magnets (preferably 1/4 by 1/4 by 1/4 inch cubes)
  • Cardboard (cut to 1/2 by 1/4 inch)
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • K'nex rods (size varies to situation)
  • K'nex connectors (depends on which car)
  • Track going to be used for the brake run

Step 1:
Get your cardboard that is cut to 1/4 by 1/2 inch
Posted Image

Step 2:
Get your magnets (I am using N40 Neodymium Magnets)
Posted Image

Step 3:
Put magnet's side with the poles facing the carboard (either North or South, does not matter right now- to find the magnet's poles, let it attract/ repell to something metal/other magnets; those 2 sides are the poles.) down onto the carboard, and hot glue them in place. Do NOT use all your magnets for this step! You will need some magnets for your car(s)!
Posted Image

Step 4:
After making as many as you need, make sure to "test" to make sure that your magnets are all facing the same direction (the poles). If you did everything correct, you should have something like this so far:
Posted Image

Step 5:
Find the part which you need to make brakes on.
Posted Image

Step 6: Grab 2 of any size of rods and any type (flexi / stiff) and insert them into the top two holes of the X-ties. You can use multiple rods if necessary.
Posted Image

Step 7: Put a very small amount of glue onto to two parts of the rods which you will be placing the magnet on to. Place your magnet set-up onto the hot glue; if need be, place hot glue on top of the magnet and onto the X-ties directly next to it. Let the glue dry before installing the next magnet.
Posted Image

Part 2: Installing the magnets into a middle SS car

• One (or more) Magnet set up created in Part 1 of this tutorial
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • K'nex connectors (two orange connectors)
  • Middle SS Car

Step 1: This step has no real picture, is one of the most important, and might cause some confusion so I will try my best to word it the easiest.
[/B]

Take a single magnet and let it attract to the non-cardboard part of an already built magnet set-up. While it's still connected to the prebuilt magnet (so you know which side to glue), place a small amount of hot glue on the side of the magnet that doesn't have cardboard on it (it should look like a cardboard and magnet sandwhich). By doing this, you have now created a magnet for the car (make sure you can tell the difference; ex: write on the cardboard part for the car magnet with a sharpie.) You only need to do this step for ONE car magnet.

Step 2: Use the "car magnet" to help find the correct side to glue to the cardboard and test like in Step 4 for Installing Magnets into your Track part of the tutorial.

Back to the easier-to-understand part of the tutorial:

Step 3:
Take your middle SS car, connectors, and "car" magnets.
Posted Image

Step 4:
Place a bit of hot glue in center / back of the underneath of your car. Put your orange connectors with the connecting end facing the back of the car.
Posted Image

Step 5:
Glue your magnet set up. You can always add another/more magnet set-ups, but I suggest only installing one right now. You haven't tested it yet but now you can!
Posted Image

Part 3: Installing the magnets into a middle SS car

• One Magnet set up created in Part 1 of this tutorial
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • K'nex connectors (two single grey connectors)
  • Middle SS Car

Step 1: Collect your front SS car, one magnet set up, and the grey connectors.
Posted Image

Step 2: Place a bit of hot glue in center / back of the underneath of your car. Put your grey connectors with the connecting end facing the back of the car.
Posted Image

Step 3: Glue your magnet set up. You can always add another/more magnet set-ups, but I suggest only installing one right now. I suggest testing the car's magnets to ensure there are enough in the car/track.
Posted Image

And that's it! If you have followed the pictures and steps, you have created a working, magnetic braking system!

FAQ'S and Tips:
  • Always install magnets on the track one at a time. Test after installing new magnet before installing any more.
  • If your magnets are slowing down your cars, then making them speed up, your mangets are most likely facing the wrong direction. Repeat Part 1 of this tutorial
  • If your magnets are coming out of the track, car, or both, place hot glue over top of the magnets. Make sure the hot glue goes over the connectors adjacent to it.
  • The magnets in your car can be larger as long as they don't stick out too far and the poles face the right direction.
  • As far as my testing has occured, these magnets can not be used as a launch / transport. They can be used as a chain dog if you install magnets on your lift (what I did in Orange Rush).

Again, feel free to ask any questions about any problems, tips, or suggestions you have.

Next tutorial? A braking system identical to Milli Force.

Enjoy!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

Nice tutorial! I think the problem I'm having is that my magnets are too big. I would love to see a video, and some pictures of this actually working.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#3 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

^^I'll try my best to get them to you within the next week.

vHahaha ok.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#4 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

Lol, I am starting to find out that my post is totally bullcrap.
So I'll delete it.

#5 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

Very nice tutorial chopz. Clear pictures and clear words - I hope people begin adopting things like this as I think it would provide pretty smooth braking and its so unobtrusive.

Perhaps you could take a few video clips of the magnets slowing the train down and edit them together and link that video to this thread? Would give members a good idea of how effective your system is!

-Ben

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#6 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

^ Thank you! I do hope that this might help lead a new way of braking and maybe more things to come for SSC! When I finish fine-tuning my brakes on Orange Rush (they're not close enough), I will definitely upload a separate video for the braking to this thread. I won't be able to do that until Thursday or the weekend because of school and Marching Band.

#7 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

I just ordered 40 of these magnets for top thrill dragster.
I should have a test on the top thrill thread in about a week also.

^I have marching band too.

Posted Image

#8 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

40 sounds enough for your coaster. When you install them, do them 1 at a time (or start off with 10 spaced out at equal intervals). You will need to put at least 1 or two in each car so you'll have to accomadate for that.

#9 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

john mosnter - You should check out my top thrill dragster the brakes I used look like the real breaks but they're friction breaks, and are very gradual... IF this doesn't work for you ;)

Looks nice lambchopz ,I'm sure they work nicely.

#10 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Having trouble with my brakes, the magnets are stopping the cars but are also pushing them forward. I have one or 2 more ideas but after that if it doesn't work I will go to my old magnetic brakes or burrito masters brakes.

Posted Image

#11 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Having trouble with my brakes, the magnets are stopping the cars but are also pushing them forward. I have one or 2 more ideas but after that if it doesn't work I will go to my old magnetic brakes or burrito masters brakes.

You might want to check the polarity of the magnets, if just one is facing the wrong direction, things can go wrong. I had this problem multiple times, but after I went through and fixed the polarity for all the magnets they work very similar to having very small little friction brakes (being the individual magnets).

I still have to go through and fix my brakes on O.R., but I have no time whatsoever to do so.

I'll be looking to using stronger magnets in the track/car to see if this will help brake the car better/easier.

#12 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Could we use magnetic strips?

Formally RK500

#13 xx-cyp-62-xx

xx-cyp-62-xx

Construction Worker

• 105 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

can you make a test video please :)

#14 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Could we use magnetic strips?

I actually used them as a chain dog for the chain lift with the magnets in the car. The strips I had were really weak, but I guess if you get ones that are stronger it could work.

can you make a test video please :)

Please read my post again:

I still have to go through and fix my brakes on O.R., but I have no time whatsoever to do so.

#15 xx-cyp-62-xx

xx-cyp-62-xx

Construction Worker

• 105 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

a ok sorry ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, lambchopz, magnets, tutorial