ball bearing cars brakes

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:27 AM

Hello coaster fanatics! It's been a long time, 2020 is finally passed us and I am starting to build again. This post is what could become possibly a future tutorial if things work out well. It is also the beginning of the construction of my new custom Euro fighter.

I recently purchased a set of Johnny's ball bearing wheel housings. They work extremely well (tested on the super duper looper after the final video and the results were amazing). When I started to build my new coaster a week ago I realized that the most of the existing brake models will not work for the ball bearing housings. The spacing between the wheel housings and the track is different.

So behold! My new version of brakes especially designed for Johnny's ball bearing cars. I have not been able to test them out yet. But the initial fit looks good.
The first image shows the six different pieces needed to create these brakes. Then add whatever track segments you want to sacrifice. If this works well maybe it can be a tutorial.

A couple of quick notes: my intent for these is station breaks. As you can see they are easily concealable. The ladder connectors, which you can see in the third image, are staggered in order to prevent the long orange rods (that hold the brake track) from pivoting. More to come...but on this ride I plan on utilizing some mechanical automation.

Attached Files

• W-e-s-l-e-y and CrayCray for coasters like this

#2 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:57 PM

Hello everyone! Update:

So the mechanical automation idea has worked out very well in conjunction with the brakes. The images show the station so far and the level/gear/pulley/weighted lift mechanics involved. As stated in the video, the main goal is to simulate the trains stopping for a few minutes but the timing is actually in seconds (scaling!).

I plan on adding a vertical lift and a past 90 drop, with several inversions and an end brake run before the station so I can have 2 trains running.

Youtube link:

More to come!

Attached Files

#3 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

Are you going to do the drop the standard way or the Takabisha way

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#4 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:15 PM

I don't really like thee shape of Takabisha's drop. But I love that layout. I think my drop will be more rounded.

#5 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:58 PM

Cool, are you going to do a block zone system

#6 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:19 AM

Yes now that I think about it I am actually going to have a mid-course break run as the last block. Well essentially there really will only be two blocks. The station with the automated hold time system and the midcourse brake run will just have a chain that's consistently running at slow speed with a brake if needed.

I think I'm going to go for about 7 gray rods tall. Here is tonight's progress:

Attached Files

#7 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 06:30 AM

That's quite tall for a Eurofighter! - How are you getting on?

• Steelwheels33 likes this

#8 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 02:13 AM

That's quite tall for a Eurofighter! - How are you getting on?

Really well thank you!

Update: so it is a tall Euro fighter but things are going really well so far! I have tested the automatic station and lift Hill and they both work. I still remember how to build with tubes so that's good lol!

The next element is going to be an immellman followed up by a reverse cobra roll (not sure if that's really the name of the element). I posted a couple of pics of the build that are from tonight. Here's a link to a YouTube video which shows a test run.

not sure why the pictures are loading upside down and sideways sorry guys.

https://youtu.be/xCp-sfB2kI0

Attached Files

Edited by Steelwheels33, 31 January 2021 - 02:16 AM.

#9 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 07:45 AM

this is looking really cool.

#10 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:14 PM

I really love the shaping on that drop so far!

#11 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:06 AM

I really love the shaping on that drop so far!

Thanks Chaos! Using gray rods throughout most of the ride to support the track. Until the turns get tight of course. Here is an update on my progress tonight. The link is to a short video showing how to build tubes that work well under pressure.

https://youtu.be/YZvz1YCnA90

Attached Files

#12 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

that's an incredibly wide pullout, but this is looking good, also thanks for the tip on tubes, now hypersonic can make it through the first turn w/o me having to adjust the supports after

#13 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:06 PM

Nice to hear cray cray!! I learned a lot about tubes creeping (shortening) when I built Lengua Del Diablo. It's important to keep those buggers from moving!

yeah I completely agree after looking at it again for a couple days that the pull out is way too long. I am definitely going to shorten that...and have the incline start earlier on. Even if I wanted to keep it the way it is, I don't have the space for it. I'll try to get working on it again sometime later this week.

#14 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:14 AM

Update: adjusted the pullout so it's shorter. First elements going to be an immellman.

Attached Files

#15 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:27 PM

looks good, the only thing I would say you could improve on is, you see how you angled the supports on the drop, if you did that at the start of the imulman I assume it is... it will stop the car pushing the invention over. it will give it forwards and backwards support. just think all the supports need to be in terms of tilt anyway rather than also thinking about yawr... at roughly a 90-degree angle to the track.

sorry for the crude drawings, you sound like a smart man, I'm sure you will understand my crude illustrations XD

try this way

Attached File  1888ea1d4ccf4d510f7388e569562473.png   24.48KB   0 downloads

as apposed to this way

Attached File  e35a868b8ff1f17d463a0de9ceac8c83.png   23.11KB   0 downloads

#16 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:27 PM

yeah, i would advise you tilt the supports to account for the forces, it'll bend a lot less

#17 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:47 AM

Update!! Hello coaster fans. I took Gaming ninja n Cray's advice and adjusted the supports on the immellman. Because I have to have a walkway around the coaster to get to my stored goods, I am limited on space, and therefore cannot have the back support out as far as I would want it to be. But this inversion is coming along great I love the shaping and it's pretty solid at this point. The train makes it over the top with very realistic speed.

Sorry I don't have a video yet. It will be easier to record once I can complete this element and have another incline. I'm certainly getting my tubes on with this ride!

Attached Files

• rgarner42 likes this

#18 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:00 AM

This is looking good, with the pullout of the immelmann are you going to do a gerstlauer super structure like fury at bobbejaanland

#19 Sim-ple

Sim-ple

• 1025 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:58 PM

Whoa!

SFGAmBanner.gif

Best Come-Back Member 2005

#20 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:30 AM

Update!!

Hey KNEX coaster fans! Latest update on my custom Euro fighter. I think I also may have found a good name for it...not sure yet though.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ball bearing cars, brakes