• 3818 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:37 PM

Yeah that looks pretty epic! Keep it up 

#22 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:14 AM

Quick update! More to come.can anyone tell me why my pics keep loading sideways and upside-down?

Attached Files

#23 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:51 AM

This Immelmann is shaped like a nice booty O_O. 

I hope you'll add more massive inversions like this one. 

• SCM likes this

#24 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:40 AM

My guess would be that you're taking them on your phone, and for whatever reason your phone is thinking it's not being held the right way when the photo is taken.

That spine looks incredible on the immelman.. jeez that shaping looks amazing.

#25 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:26 AM

My guess would be that you're taking them on your phone, and for whatever reason your phone is thinking it's not being held the right way when the photo is taken.

That spine looks incredible on the immelman.. jeez that shaping looks amazing.

Thanks Britfag! I agree with you guys I love the immellman as well. So here's another update...I haven't made very much progress lately but I've also been waiting for some parts to come in. But finally I can reveal that the next element is going to be a sea serpent! The car just clears this first inversion at about 37 1/2 in. I am a little bit concerned because I'm losing approximately 11 to 12 in of height on the inversions so far, and I'm hoping that the reduction in momentum gets reduced as the elements become smaller. because if I keep losing a foot per element I'm only going to be able to do like two more inversions.

I'm hoping to make this a six inversion coaster. I'm using Johnny's bearing design and so speed loss has improved but at the same time stability is tough when you're working with tubes. The second half of the sea serpent shouldn't be a big speed loss because of the way a sea serpent is designed. So if I exit the sea serpent at about 34-35 in, theoretically the next element could be about 26 to 27 in tall. I am going to have a mid-course break run after the element following the sea serpent.

Attached Files

#26 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:43 AM

Update!

Check out the link for my first official test video.

Pictures are after I made some more progress.

Attached Files

#27 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:34 AM

Update!

Does it clear at that height

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#28 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:17 AM

Update!

Hey that coaster looks sooo smooth, congrats, as I already told you on Youtube. But with regards to the K'nex lift hill motor, if you want it to go faster I thought I'd give you a tip.

I don't know if you're comfortable with electronics and soldering but what you can do is the following: Take the two halves of the motor apart, snip open an USB cable and solder the red lead of the USB cable to the + connector for the batteries and the black lead of the USB cable to the - connector for the batteries (Although it's not really a problem if you mix it up since you can reverse the motor).

Then plug the cable into a somewhat decent phone charger brick and tadaaa, your motor runs faster and stronger on 5V instead of 3V and you're not wasting batteries anymore. Batteries suck. 

Of course you're running the motor outside its operating limit so your mileage may vary, but I've used it on "Griffin" and I use two on the lift hill I'm building now and so far I've not had any problems.

DON'T plug the cable into a PC since a PC might get damaged from pulling to much amps from a USB port.

Don't know if you want to do anything with this, but if you do you're welcome :P.

Edited by Alabastine, 09 April 2021 - 03:20 PM.

#29 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:23 AM

Does it clear at that height

It does clear, and it clears at a really nice speed and I will have another update soon but I'm pretty much done with the sea serpent moving on to the next element now.

Alabastine, I love your advice I think I might give that a try! my brother can help me out he's really good at soldering I just don't have a soldering iron but I could borrow one from somebody. The lift is kind of slow but I guess it's simulates what it would probably be like in real life unless it was cable driven. Also thank you for the comments! I am pretty stoked about this ride although it is taking a ton of pieces to finish.

Sorry for all the upside down and sideways photos people, I guess you just going to have to have auto rotate disabled when you view my pictures lol!

Attached Files

• Alabastine likes this

#30 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:35 PM

Another update! This one's really just some more photographs that I haven't shared yet. I am finally officially done with the sea serpent and I think the next element is going to be a little air time bump.

Attached Files

#31 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:51 AM

Layout plan

I know it's a lot. It will be six inversions total featuring a banked airtime "buck", overBanked turn, and a final helix. I am thinking about possibly adding a third block as well.

Attached Files

• frank likes this

#32 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 02:27 AM

Update!!

I have added a couple more elements. An airtime 90° banked "buck" hill, as I call it. Followed up by a dive loop. Check out the video for more details!

Attached Files

#33 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:55 PM

Update!

• CrayCray for coasters likes this

#34 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:10 AM

That looks great!

The pacing is good, it's a shame the SS trains lose so much speed so quickly.

#35 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:46 PM

I finally have a solid plan for how this Euro fighter is going to tie back into the station. Showing here is the diagram from a top view. In total it will be 6 inversions and eight elements.

Progress update to come soon!

Keep building...

Attached Files

#36 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:59 PM

Wait so will the in-line twist occur after a small upwards ramp and be curved? That'll be interesting. I'm fairly certain there won't be enough speed leftover for an upwards helix. Not at that size. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#37 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 11:47 PM

Well Houston we have a problem. SCM is right and there's no way that this train is going to make it back to the station after that layout I presented with the upward Helix at the end. Some initial tests I ran with the track you haven't seen yet didn't work out so well.

So what do I do? Adapt and overcome! I've changed the layout a little bit and I've raised the cork to give it just a little bit more lift at the overbank turn. Then I'm going to weave the track through the existing coaster and bury the inline twist somewhere near the lift mechanism. Then it will go pass the station and around 180° turn back into the station.

I am pretty confident I have enough speed to make it back but it's going to be close. The problem is I need to come into the station with enough speed to activate the levers that engage the automatic lift system.

Wish me luck!

Attached Files

Edited by Steelwheels33, 26 May 2021 - 11:49 PM.

#38 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 12:22 AM

Almost done with the in-line twist.

Attached Files

#39 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:24 AM

Update - test video 6/5. Things are going well I will explain in the video but I will need a little bit more speed to get back into the station.

#40 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:27 AM

Hello!

It's been a long time and finally there's a new update! There were many technical issues with this coaster. I have since made several adjustments to ensure that the ride operates consistently.

Please watch the video where I highlight the work that's been done. There will be another one posted very shortly because I have two separate video updates.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ball bearing cars, brakes