Phase 3.0 - Wiring the cabinet

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

Looks great Max! Really inspiring to see how creative you can get.

I guess I'll guess at asking does the "Public Allow/Disallow" have maybe a 2nd control panel connected the motors and sensors, where the public who's watching to be given a chance to control the ride from where they are without using your expensive control panel? I know that was a big rule for you, maybe that's how you're going to get around it.

v Gates Close, Gates Open, Dispatch. The lights above them tell you what it's for.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#42 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

Great job there! I'm curious what the 3 three buttons at the low right side of the whole thing are for.....

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#43 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, we're only allowed tech from like 10+ years ago, as there's a syllabus based around it.. sucks eh?
Looks good, good to know what the keys are ;)

#44 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:10 AM

Going offtopic, but that genie microcontroller is kinda programmed the way we make our sequential function charts. Except, it uses flowcharts.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Been a while since I did any real work on this, I'm very good at procrastinating, so it usually has to be an impulse which triggers me to actually do something...
[
Today was one of those days, as always I manage to make my mum angry because of my impulse, she totally had other plans today... I had to resort to a family member to take me to the store.

So I bought this:
Posted Image

I had the store cut the wood to roughly the right size, they can't make cuts under 20cm so I had to do some chopping myself... The guy who did the cuts there got a mote in his hand and started bleeding, so there are some red stains on my coffin, err, project (6)

Posted Image
I drilled some large holes for the analogue meters, then I also added the first hinge.

Posted Image
The other door (deur in Dutch, oh lovely pencil :)) features a lock which locks itself against the other door.

Posted Image
The door with the analogue meters has it's own lock that locks the door to the bottom of the case.

Posted Image
The first parts of the box getting attached, oh man I'm not that good at this kind of crafty stuff :/

Posted Image
Nonetheless, no reason to give up, all the odd parts can be shaven of with a sanding machine and the nooks and crannies can be filled up with some glue or wood filler.

Posted Image
Not that bad now is it?

Posted Image
It decided to do some sexy poses for my camera ;)

Posted Image
Wooh!! Flashing the inside, naughty, naughty!

Posted Image
Oh baby, now you are just showing off ;)

Posted Image
Yeah, that's right!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#46 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

Cool, pimp it with some led lights!

Glowing meters would be cool too.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

Maxlamm builds his electronics like a boss.

Looks good Max!

Posted Image

#48 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

Man up and cut the wood yourself :) (measure twice cut once)

Practicing these wood working skills will help to make things easier in the future, and from your previous work, I have a feeling you will be doing more of these projects.

Overall I think you did a good job (from the pictures it looks square and the doors function (really those are the two important parts) and your seems look flush).
Now cover that wood before someone gets the wrong impression :)

Excellent job Max. This is truly an awe-inspiring project and I look forward to watching things unfold.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#49 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Man up and cut the wood yourself :) (measure twice cut once)

Practicing these wood working skills will help to make things easier in the future, and from your previous work, I have a feeling you will be doing more of these projects.

Overall I think you did a good job (from the pictures it looks square and the doors function (really those are the two important parts) and your seems look flush).
Now cover that wood before someone gets the wrong impression :)

Excellent job Max. This is truly an awe-inspiring project and I look forward to watching things unfold.

Haha, if I only had some decent tools, I had to cut the remaining wood parts with a rusty saw... While building stuff is fun at times, it's not something I like to do a lot.

Thanks for the compliment.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

Max, we all know you and Gump will open a Museum over there in Holland with Amusement Park Creations that is run by Dutch Details. Of course you need wood working skills.

Posted Image

#51 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

Haha, nice idea you've got there, Connor. That has been one of my personal ideas, indeed. I have other dreams now, though. I am sure Max, I and others will continue with displaying models at expositions, though. Whereas I think this cabinet would be too bulky for my personal electronics project, I think it does fit yours and I hope you'll be able to get everything expo- and operational-friendly.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#52 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

The LCD display will work on boot too; telling the user what to do to get it running. I had to write a manual for both expo's in Weert and Roosendaal ;)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

last time that i tried cut wood i slice my nail and finger......

#54 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

last time that i tried cut wood i slice my nail and finger......

Heh, I burned my finger with the hole-saw, I had the drill the wrong way so it created a lot of friction, when I touched the saw it burnt my finger...

I'm working with old fashion hand tools and only 3 powered tools, a drill, a dremel and a sanding machine which is horrible...

Anyway, here is some progress from today:

Posted Image
Here is the little box in pieces that is going to house the external control panel that the kids and older kids (read: adults) can use to operate the coaster. The edges are messed up, but after sanding them down a lot I managed to get it to look proper.

Posted Image
Here is the box glued together, the top can be removed by unscrewing 4 screws. I still need to sand down a few parts.

Posted Image
The cabinet itself received it's second coat of paint today. I'll see what the outcome is tomorrow, else I'll give it a third coat.

Posted Image
The button has a light inside that will turn on if it can be pressed. The sign says:"press when button is lit" I made a spelling mistake in Dutch there, but no worries, I already fixed that.

Posted Image
I'm not going to lie, but Im a bit of a show-off. I bought a small storage rack from Rainer Scholz, a German model maker, who actually makes a living by making H0 models. The storage tower was not suitable for smaller pieces so I use it for wires now. The wires in the bag on top are actually reed-switches, the type Gump and I are going to use for our models.

Posted Image
I got this storage box for Sinterklaas, perfect for storing LED's, resistors, diodes, relays, buttons, etc. The barriers between the little boxes can be removed to suit larger parts like the screw terminals on the right and the antistatic bags on the lower left. Now I'm a lot more organised than before, I still need to sort a lot of parts though. I'm thinking about picking up 1 or 2 more of these and actually make a bit of a stock in resistors, LED's and diodes :) Using the label writer I can easily tag each container so I don't need to figure out which is what all the time.

That's it for now, I hope to start wiring within 2 weeks (no promises), stay tuned!

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#55 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

I have to admit, this is starting to come out really great, and seeing all those different colored LED's makes me really curious as to where they'll be used (if they are at all). I really wish I had the skills and $$$$$ to do this... :/

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#56 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

I have to admit, this is starting to come out really great, and seeing all those different colored LED's makes me really curious as to where they'll be used (if they are at all). I really wish I had the skills and $$$$$ to do this... :/

All leds you see there are actually left overs from XenoX, I ordered them in bulk, but this isn't enough to finish the Super Mouse.

Oh, and yeah, I need to take it easy from now on. Thank god I only need to do 2 more large expenses for this... I'm draining my money supply rather fast atm.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

EDIT: When am I getting my reed switches? ;)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#58 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

I wish you would have used some wood filler before painting :(

Your electronic storage looks like my K'nex® storage. Now if only I could organize my electronics this nicely. (Also, I need to look into the plastic reeds instead of breaking 25% of the glass ones I work with)

Still a great project, and it is great to be following.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#59 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

I wish you would have used some wood filler before painting :(

Your electronic storage looks like my K'nex® storage. Now if only I could organize my electronics this nicely. (Also, I need to look into the plastic reeds instead of breaking 25% of the glass ones I work with)

Still a great project, and it is great to be following.

I'm gonna patch those parts up later on, don't worry it will be fine :)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

Video time, go watch!

SSCoasters Administrator