Phase 3.0 - Wiring the cabinet

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#61 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

To make it even more like a cabinet, you should install white lights on the inside (at the top) that either have a switch, or light up when you open the doors.

They often do that in real life to have a clear sight inside the cabinet when it's dark, or if the light doesn't manage to get into the cabinet very well (because of the depth).

But so far, it's looking really good.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#62 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

This is way too realistic for knex ;)

Oh, and a small advice: Watch out with those Sub-D connectors/cables.
Most cables do not go pole-to-pole. So you will have to buy special cables that do.
Those Sub-D things caused most of the problems on PWRTWR actually.

#63 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

To make it even more like a cabinet, you should install white lights on the inside (at the top) that either have a switch, or light up when you open the doors.

They often do that in real life to have a clear sight inside the cabinet when it's dark, or if the light doesn't manage to get into the cabinet very well (because of the depth).

But so far, it's looking really good.

Great tip, I'll get some white led's installed with an NC switch :)

This is way too realistic for knex ;)

Oh, and a small advice: Watch out with those Sub-D connectors/cables.
Most cables do not go pole-to-pole. So you will have to buy special cables that do.
Those Sub-D things caused most of the problems on PWRTWR actually.

I ordered the exact same Sub-D connectorsand cables as I used for Phase 1.0 had, they are the proper ones, no worries there :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#64 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

this is amazing max! also whats the"fault" buttom does?

#65 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

this is amazing max! also whats the"fault" buttom does?

The Fault isn't really a button, it's a light. It will light up if there is a system error or a wrong sensor reading. It will also light up if the emergency stop button is pressed :) It's better if the light never turns on ;)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#66 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

The Fault isn't really a button, it's a light. It will light up if there is a system error or a wrong sensor reading. It will also light up if the emergency stop button is pressed :) It's better if the light never turns on ;)

when i see "fault " i don´t know if i imagined in my language "falta" i imagined that when someone tries to touch the coaster or the car this will make a sound like: beep, do not touch the track or car sir. :)

#67 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

when i see "fault " i don´t know if i imagined in my language "falta" i imagined that when someone tries to touch the coaster or the car this will make a sound like: beep, do not touch the track or car sir. :)

I could also have used "Error"but decided not to.

If you've seen the video, I have a rectangular hole cut out, but I'm not happy about the shape, it's jagged and plain ugly. I tried sanding it down but it didn't work. Any idea's on how to patch this part up so it's a proper rectangle? I really hate not owning any powertools, except a dremel, a crappy electric sanding machine and a drill.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#68 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

use a block to sand it and not just a piece of sandpaper in your hand.

Also you could install it, and then place wood filler into it or caulking.
Or create a square plastic shield around it. that would fit square over the light and then cover the jagged wooden edges.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#69 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

Looks amazing, but what are those chasing/programmable red lights for again (other than looking cool)?

Worse comes to worse, you could always cut out and re-paint a new door if sanding it doesn't give you what you want. I'm not sure if you have enough materials or money to do so, but it's still an option. Also, the blue LED's are probably more expensive/no longer made here in the USA because of our wonderful economy. Seems like more and more people are loosing jobs.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#70 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

use a block to sand it and not just a piece of sandpaper in your hand.

Also you could install it, and then place wood filler into it or caulking.
Or create a square plastic shield around it. that would fit square over the light and then cover the jagged wooden edges.

I will go for a combination of both. I'm so glad you replied, I hope to get this done somewhere next week :)

Looks amazing, but what are those chasing/programmable red lights for again (other than looking cool)?

Worse comes to worse, you could always cut out and re-paint a new door if sanding it doesn't give you what you want. I'm not sure if you have enough materials or money to do so, but it's still an option. Also, the blue LED's are probably more expensive/no longer made here in the USA because of our wonderful economy. Seems like more and more people are loosing jobs.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more!

It's a 10 channel light chaser, I will use it for the sign on Super Mouse.
The doors are fine, it's the rectangular hole on the left side that is bothering me. It's quite hard to cut a proper rectangular hole with old and blunt tools.
The blue lights, I really don't have a clue, he still sells them, just not to Holland (and a few other countries). Belgium is still available though...

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#71 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Also, the blue LED's are probably more expensive/no longer made here in the USA because of our wonderful economy. Seems like more and more people are loosing jobs.

Blue LEDs have always been more expensive/exclusive. Not related to the economy at all.

I still know a few (internet)stores here in Holland that sell them cheap though. I know one store that sells them at a very low price, 100 for €3,50. The shipping takes ages though.

#72 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Blue LEDs have always been more expensive/exclusive. Not related to the economy at all.

I still know a few (internet)stores here in Holland that sell them cheap though. I know one store that sells them at a very low price, 100 for €3,50. The shipping takes ages though.

You mean leds-buy? They only have the red, green, yellow and orange LED's for that price.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#73 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:08 AM

If you've seen the video, I have a rectangular hole cut out, but I'm not happy about the shape, it's jagged and plain ugly. I tried sanding it down but it didn't work. Any idea's on how to patch this part up so it's a proper rectangle? I really hate not owning any powertools, except a dremel, a crappy electric sanding machine and a drill.

For your level of projects, you should buy one of these:

Posted Image

Just drill some holes, for example: the corners of a rectangle. And put the small blade through it, then attach it to the handle again and start cutting.
You'll have to make a small turn when leaving one of the drilled holes, but that's a part you can saw afterwards, and sand to finish it up.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#74 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:43 AM

^I have that tool too. It's very useful although it's quite hard to saw perfect straight lines, but that's why I almost always go to school to saw pieces because of the great tools they got there. For example this one:

Posted Image

Max, this project is looking so good! I guess it would be too complex for me to do this :P.

Posted Image

#75 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:12 AM

You mean leds-buy? They only have the red, green, yellow and orange LED's for that price.

No I do not. Those I can get for way lower prices;)

#76 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

I tend to look on e-bay for those "odd" colour led's, but still I'm not fond of buying stuff for extremely low prices, offering items at such prices just raises flags here. I always tend to buy from an online store that is registered or where I can find some reviews from. Nonetheless, I'm wondering where you buy those from.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#77 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

This is my adress:
SamenKopen.net - LEDs, componenten, Arduino, ledstrips, motors - Producten -

The shipping takes really long, but the prices are bizar.

#78 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

That site, yes, I've heard from that. The thing is that people all order together and only when there are enough orders the items will be ordered. That's why the shipping takes so long.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#79 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

No, this one is a bit different. He actually just sends it to you directly from China, so that is why it takes so long. You will probably have it within 3 weeks or so. H

#80 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

No, this one is a bit different. He actually just sends it to you directly from China, so that is why it takes so long. You will probably have it within 3 weeks or so. H

I guess, some products are in stock, some aren't, depends on how stuff is taken care off. 3 weeks from China is decent, DX isn't particularly fast either.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image