105 replies to this topic

#81 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Progress:

Posted Image
6 Sub-D cables (25 poles), motors, sensors, lights and the control panel.

Posted Image
The dust covers have names on them so you know what cable goes where.

Posted Image
Extremely ugly case fan for air intake on the right, also a switch on the top right that triggers a led strip when the doors are opened, just so you can see what you are doing as suggested by Floris2Burn

Posted Image
E-stop relay card, once the e-stop is pressed the power will be cut to all the motors, once you reset the e-stop button you just have to press the reset button to make it work again.

Posted Image
8 relays with indicator lights, used to power 8 motors.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#82 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Might I wonder why you still have all the connectors on your power supply unit? :)

Oh, and you know that I really like these updates. Nice work on the sub-D's.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#83 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

I think they're useful for the isolation they provide. if you just cut off all the headers, you got a lot of uninsulated cable ends flying around, is rather nasty.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#84 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hmm, they don't cause problems with my system. I do keep the ends away from metal, though. Especially be cautious with any non-ground wires touching the power supply casing.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#85 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

If you look at the pcb's which are installed it kinda does make sense why I haven't cut them of :-) I haven't decided on the final lay-out yet ;-)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#86 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

By popular demand, the back of the control panel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#87 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

By popular demand, the back of the control panel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wired really nicely!
I'm impressed.

#88 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Looks very clean to me.
I still don't get how these buttons work, because it seems to be they are a lot more complex to install than the simple ones I'm using on my control panel.
For example, what or those white with green number rectangular shaped things?

Posted Image

#89 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

Wired really nicely!
I'm impressed.

Is it that good? ;)

Looks very clean to me.
I still don't get how these buttons work, because it seems to be they are a lot more complex to install than the simple ones I'm using on my control panel.
For example, what or those white with green number rectangular shaped things?

I thought it was quite clear from the "mini tutorial" I posted on page one and the wires coming out from them as seen here ;) But I don't mind saying it again ;)
Each button consists of 3 main parts, the button, an adapter and a contact element (or LED element) The button is what you press, however there are no electrical connections in/on the button part, it does however have a few plastic rods poking out on both sides from the bottom. Therefore you need an adapter, this will form the bridge to a contact element or light element.
The contact element is where you attach the wires and where the electrical connection is made or broken. When the button is pressed the plastic rods will push down the lever on the contact element, thus forming or breaking the connection between the 2 screw terminals.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#90 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

So the buttons function the same as a light switch basically? To turn on and off the electric flow?

Posted Image

#91 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Indeed, that's what a button/switch does. Or in this case, the contact element.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#92 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Is it that good? ;)

Depends how highly you view my judgement..

But yeah, it's very good. The connectors on the wiring, and the general organisation.. looks good!

#93 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Update time, I finished all the circuits and mounted them in the cabinet. Today I found a hour to wire up the main power lines throughout the cabinet. Next thing to do is solder about 150 wires to the SUB-D connectors. That's only one end, I still need to do the other end of the cable afterwards ;) Also some wires inside the cabinet for the motors, the circuits are not connected togheter yet.

Video:

Sorry for the quality, I wasn't using my HD camera and halfway through the vid my memory card was full and a couple moments later my battery went almost flat. Camera work isn't the best either.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#94 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

It looks really good and organized! I also like the lights on the bottom left.

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#95 Intamin Thrill Rides

Intamin Thrill Rides

Construction Worker

• 79 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

That is very impressive Max! Very organised and looks very interesting. Cant wait to see more!

~Intamin Thrill Rides~

1. Intimidator 305  2. Fury 325   3. Skyrush  4. Outlaw Run  5. El Toro  6. Banshee  7. Nitro  8. Magnum  9. Iron Rattler 10. Storm Runner

#96 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

It looks really good and organized! I also like the lights on the bottom left.

Thanks, just wait till those lights are actually hooked up ;)

That is very impressive Max! Very organised and looks very interesting. Cant wait to see more!

Stay tuned :)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#97 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

While shopping for parts for the rope-barrier I'm building I came across a fun little thing for Phase 3.0. I'm not sure when you will get any pictures of video from it though. Tomorrow after hitting up the gym early I was hoping to spend most of my time to actual wiring, the paint on little box that spreads the wires out over the coaster is now dry and can have it's components and wires installed. Priority tomorrow is to finish wiring the cabinet though.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#98 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Pff, priority, it's 3 months later and I finally got around to soldering all the connectors inside the cabinet. Now I have 2 weeks to finish this, very busy year for me... I have all the parts lying around now so it's just a bunch of wires that need to be soldered onto connectors. I'll try to get the majority finished tomorrow.

I also found that I made a mistake in the Sensor and Button circuit boards. I had the +5v and ground hooked up wrong. I fixed those.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#99 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Darn, quadruple post...

Tiny update:
Posted Image

These are my sensors, Jogumpie uses the same for his project, they are reed-switches with a plastic housing. I used green shrink tubing to make them look more like actual sensors. Ya know, the little green boxes on the track. There's two in the picture, one connected and one that isn't connected. They are at about the same height as the top of the rails, which makes it perfect, even when next to a booster wheel. That was my only concern really, making a sensor housing that would fit alongside a booster wheel...

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#100 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

The wiring is now done, this morning I finished up the last 2 wires and installed them all.

First we have this (oh my...):
Posted Image

And we fit it like this:
Posted Image

It turned out a bit messier than I originally expected but it hooking up was a breeze, just a few tight spots...

(Just noticed, bottom middle, the 2 yellow 12V lines aren't actually hooked up to the PSU yet, fixing!!)
The only wiring still to do is for a few uplighting LED's but those will be done when everything else is working... Now I'm off to making a grafcet for the coding :)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image