[DD] Super Mouse - Soldering madness!

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#21 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

^lol, this pics looks great max can´t wait to see this in a expo!

#22 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

Wow, I would totally sell my moms house just to lay on a track. Your very lucky to be able to get so close to it.

#23 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

^lol, this pics looks great max can´t wait to see this in a expo!

It has already been booked for an expo :D

Wow, I would totally sell my moms house just to lay on a track. Your very lucky to be able to get so close to it.

Yeah, not just close but actually work there too! Being the one with the least experience and being pretty much the only Dutch fellow there (all the employees are Polish or Hungarian, except for the owner who is rarely around himself) I could only do the chores. Cleaning, replacing broken lights...

I was allowed to dispatch gondola's later on though :) Which was awesome!

Anyway, it's been a while and the coaster has long followed it's trip across Europe, The Netherlands and Germany mostly. I spoke to the owner on the last day and showed him the pictures I quickly took that morning. He was amazed that I was actually going to replicate his ride! He showed his wife and step-daughter and they really liked it too :)

I asked him if I would see him at a funfair where I've been booked to show this model and it appears he will be there with his ride too, so showing Mini and Maxi within a 300 meter walk is just plain awesome!!

Anyway, as my camera is recharging I decided to grab my video camera instead and give you a quick test video. Tomorrow the batteries will be charged and I will take some picture.

What you are going to see in the video is the following. The track work has been like this for a good week or 3 already. I just never wanted to show you guys it as it seemed a bit boring... One thing I did change, were the straight parts. I didn't like the old style as it seemed chaotic, random and just plain ugly. I decided to try something that looked more like the track of the real coaster so I came up with a box spine that instead of being below the track, cradles the track leaving 1mm of space between the wheel housing and the spine. Apparently it is sturdier too. Which is a good thing.

The old gondola is now sitting on my desk and I made a new design as I found the design that I based on Jespercoaster's gondola to be awful at spinning. It seemed to work much better in his video so I guess I must've missed a point when building mine.

So I threw that design out and made a new gondola that only uses regular parts so that solves the issue of me absolutely hating to cut parts to make them fit properly. It seems a bit more balanced and gives a great spin to the ride. (See what I did there?) While being more balanced the gondola is still a bit heavier in the back allowing it to face the proper way on the lift. Oh the joy of having your gondola unlocked at the start of the ride and trying to get it to do continuous turns on the lift by shifting your weight :)

Here is the video, expect pictures tomorrow:

Please use the direct link to watch it on youtube as the video is incredibly small on this page:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kMqmQXjsDoQ

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

It looks great, it has perfect speed through the turns! The only thing I noticed is that the whole structure seems to sway as it goes around the turns. That may be something to look into, but it will probably be fixed for the most part when you build the supports and track for the levels below the turns. Looking good!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#25 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

Looks really good. The car's spin looks like it's doing great and you don't seem to have a problem with speed yet.

Can't wait to see what's next. Hopefully you pull out a surprise or two on this ride.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#26 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

The video is great. The speed looks awesome and the track work from a the distance looks great (very sturdy).

Can not wait to see the stills, and some better detail shots of things.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#27 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

It looks great, it has perfect speed through the turns! The only thing I noticed is that the whole structure seems to sway as it goes around the turns. That may be something to look into, but it will probably be fixed for the most part when you build the supports and track for the levels below the turns. Looking good!

Yeah, it sways quite a lot and I still have to add the diagonals but I'm having trouble finding the right length for them, so I postponed that untill I'm further on the build so I know that the supports are in their final position. I did brace a few with some diagonals connected to the base, but these have to go later on if I plan on keeping it like the real ride. Right now, it's pretty much on stilts :P

Looks really good. The car's spin looks like it's doing great and you don't seem to have a problem with speed yet.

Can't wait to see what's next. Hopefully you pull out a surprise or two on this ride.

I was amazed at the spinning ability too. I guess the gondola is now more balanced allowing for less friction to occur on the "axle" that goes through the bottom. It can spin freely even when stopped for an acceptable time too :)

The video is great. The speed looks awesome and the track work from a the distance looks great (very sturdy).

Can not wait to see the stills, and some better detail shots of things.

Thanks, the track is decent but as I said before, it's pretty much on stilts right now, so until I continue on the track it will be flimsy.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

Max is losing his metal roots. No worries, guys, I'm still sane. ;)

Nice spinning, Max. Good job figuring out your own spinning coaster cars configuration.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#29 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:53 AM

Max is losing his metal roots. No worries, guys, I'm still sane. ;)

Nice spinning, Max. Good job figuring out your own spinning coaster cars configuration.

I find myself to be more inspired and motivated while listening to the same type of music I hear on the funfair.

Here are the pictures I promised:

Posted Image
The new gondola.

Posted Image
Different view, please look at the amount of clearance between the wheels and the backbone.

Posted Image
Track so far, you can see how horizontal beams warp a little, I guess it doesn't look very appealing, but it can be bend in shape a little. Not a big deal imho.

Posted Image
A better look at the overall fall of the track.

Posted Image
The new backbone.

Posted Image
The turns from above.

Posted Image
A close look at how the parts all connect at the columns.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 Dabubs

Dabubs

Where is the love?

• 186 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

Wow! That looks amazing! I like the realism of the supports and the connections.
-Bubba :P

Posted Image

^^Thanks Ward!!!^^

#31 kid26120

kid26120

Construction Foreman

• 212 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

I like when guys are building recreations, particulary when then keep the real type support!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#32 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:32 AM

^Max is going to recreate the Super Mouse, so no surprise for what is next ;).

It looks really good Max, I agree with rcf919. It is shaking a bit now as it goes around the turns, but that will probably be fixed when you build the rest of the track (I've had that with the Wilde Maus too).

Posted Image

#33 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Please fix the dip at the 3rd picture at the last straight part. Those newer cars look very good nice job.

Posted Image

#34 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

Wow! That looks amazing! I like the realism of the supports and the connections.
-Bubba :P

Thanks, I happen to have a huge load of detail pictures from the real ride, so it's not much of a guess to me where everything goes :)

I like when guys are building recreations, particulary when then keep the real type support!

I was thinking about using tubes first but decided not to and go with a support type based on the Pinfari style I made for XenoX

^Max is going to recreate the Super Mouse, so no surprise for what is next ;).

It looks really good Max, I agree with rcf919. It is shaking a bit now as it goes around the turns, but that will probably be fixed when you build the rest of the track (I've had that with the Wilde Maus too).

Yeah, I still have to add all the diagonals like the real one has, but finding the proper lengths is a pain.

Please fix the dip at the 3rd picture at the last straight part. Those newer cars look very good nice job.

Yeah, noticed that. It happened when I took pictures from the gondola, I accidentally pressed down on the track there when removing the gondola...

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

Superb!!

This looks simply awesome. Excellent job Max. From the new car, to the track spine, to the spot on supports, and even the coloration looks amazing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#36 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

Please try to fix those small bumps when you have the transition from straight part to turn, and turn to straight part. It will make the coaster look better ;) Great eye on the details so far Max, but i actually expected that from you since you worked at the coaster in real life for some days ;)

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#37 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

I'll go have a look at it today when I go visit Max. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#38 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:07 AM

Do you need more of those orange sticks i have someone. And im not using them.

Posted Image

#39 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Do you need more of those orange sticks i have someone. And im not using them.

Thanks for the offer, but I have plenty myself, I hope :P

I finished this odd looking part, any idea's?

Posted Image

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

It's a part of your new ball machine, right?

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg