• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ArrowFanBoy

ArrowFanBoy

Formerly known as CG55

• 136 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hey guys,
many of you said it wouldn't work but it did! thanks to maxwell58 (sorry if i spelled your name wrong buddy) for coming up with the idea of a launch powered by a Tape Measure! You will see this on his rides and mine in the near future so keep a close eye out!
It is very basic and here is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IZhNrE7_FWM

again, this is a prototype that I made with the help and advice of maxwell58 and I think we should both get credit but more so to him. He came to me and said "what if..." I just made it happen. He is really smart for thinking of this!
ENJOY!

#2 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

Above expectations, perfect for small VV coasters. What are the results with a longer train? Please don't cut yourself ;)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

Wow, I cant believe it actually worked! Well done to the both of you :)

-AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#4 ArrowFanBoy

ArrowFanBoy

Formerly known as CG55

• 136 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Above expectations, perfect for small VV coasters. What are the results with a longer train? Please don't cut yourself ;)

hahah thanks and longer launch=faster speed and longer train=almost exact result.... the launch pullout needs to be reinforced but this IS just a prototype so I guess that can wait... when max said HE was going to do this (before I vaulenteered) I said "be careful not to cut yourself! it really hurts!" ahahah

Wow, I cant believe it actually worked! Well done to the both of you :)

-AsM

thank you very much! We really appriciate it! Of course when we make these and incorperate this into a REAL ride we will be making the system MUCH more complicated :) (dont worry max, I wont give it away ;) )

#5 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

;) I think the ride im gonna use this on will blow you guys away. Well he pretty much stole the words out of my mouth. :P

EDIT: Also, dont cut your thumb because then you wontbe able to build for a week or so (I learned this the hard way).

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#6 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

You can use your other thumb.....?^

Posted Image

#7 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:35 AM

Lolz. This is genius.

#8 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

You can use your other thumb.....?^

I couldn't because i had a broken wrist.

Lolz. This is genius.

Thanks, :D my launch is very different from CG55's. But it is also the same in many ways.

I'm gonna order more k'nex today. And i might start my launch sometime this week. I've already shown this picture once but I'll show it again.

Posted Image

#9 ArrowFanBoy

ArrowFanBoy

Formerly known as CG55

• 136 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:43 AM

I couldn't because i had a broken wrist.

Thanks, :D my launch is very different from CG55's. But it is also the same in many ways.

I'm gonna order more k'nex today. And i might start my launch sometime this week. I've already shown this picture once but I'll show it again.

Posted Image

Like i said before when i saw this "wow, just wow" and i know what its like, i broke my wrist a while back... no knex... :( but then i got the cast off and knex again! also, once i got 2 paper cuts on the side of one thumb and another on the other... building hurt a lot... so please guys, if your going to do this... DONT CUT YOURSELF!!
and can someone give this kid an inventor tag? he deserves one!

#10 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

Bad news, I'm not going to start my launch untill next week. I'm just getting the money today and the time it takes the knex to get here will be about a week. And I still need a tape measure, orange half-moons, and tubing. So no launch till next week. :(

#11 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

Posted Image

1 question: Why would you need 4 coqs?
It seems a little unneccesary, and it will give you a lot of extra friction.

#12 Aaron

Aaron

Keep Harpin' On

• 636 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

^ Exactly what I was going to say. You'd only really need 2.

Posted Image

#13 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

and can someone give this kid an inventor tag? he deserves one!

uhm, you need to do a lot more to get the inventor tag. If it was that easy, I would have it by now :P

^^ About to ask the same thing.

I like the creativity of this, but it doesn't really seem all that practical to me. Not to ruin the fun of it, but why not replace the tape measure with rubber bands and create a holding device. This seems to almost take up more of your time and resources than using a typical launch. It's almost like purchasing a cast of a K'Nex X-tie, little plastic green pellets to melt, and all the other needed materials to make it and use it instead of just buying an X-tie already made.

Don't get me wrong, it's really cool, but I don't really see this being a safe or common thing to have since there are most likely easier ways to create a launch. But who knows, I could be wrong.

ALSO: You do know that once you're done launching the car, if the chain is free, and since the chain is lighter, it will go a lot faster and will most likely continue to move at terminal velocity, making the chain launch out of the launch itself? Your whole launch will fall apart unless you create a way to stop this. Again, it's going back to the whole "adding too many steps" sort of deal.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#14 ArrowFanBoy

ArrowFanBoy

Formerly known as CG55

• 136 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

uhm, you need to do a lot more to get the inventor tag. If it was that easy, I would have it by now :P

^^ About to ask the same thing.

I like the creativity of this, but it doesn't really seem all that practical to me. Not to ruin the fun of it, but why not replace the tape measure with rubber bands and create a holding device. This seems to almost take up more of your time and resources than using a typical launch. It's almost like purchasing a cast of a K'Nex X-tie, little plastic green pellets to melt, and all the other needed materials to make it and use it instead of just buying an X-tie already made.

Don't get me wrong, it's really cool, but I don't really see this being a safe or common thing to have since there are most likely easier ways to create a launch. But who knows, I could be wrong.

ALSO: You do know that once you're done launching the car, if the chain is free, and since the chain is lighter, it will go a lot faster and will most likely continue to move at terminal velocity, making the chain launch out of the launch itself? Your whole launch will fall apart unless you create a way to stop this. Again, it's going back to the whole "adding too many steps" sort of deal.

ummm it was a joke.... and yeah I agree... a little too complicated... Im sure he will figure it all out though...

#15 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:35 AM

I thought about the gears that and decided not to use 4 cogs. But im still gonna use a tape measure for the launch system. AND I am going to find a way to stop the chain like lamb said. It's gonna be hard though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coasterguy55, launch, maxwell58, measure, tape