premier rides sky rocket 2 skyrocket 2 launch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:58 PM

Hello all! I've started working on a new model, which is a recreation of the Premier Rides Sky Rocket II model. I haven't thought of a formal name for the coaster and probably won't until its completion. As for right now, I've begun working on the front tower. My plan is to get as close as possible to recreating not just the track layout, but the support structure as well. No easy task, but do-able!

6/12/2020 - 1
6/12/2020 - 2

For the method of launch, I'm most likely gonna go with a typical cable launch using surgical tubing. Unless I can find some magnets lying around and get the proper know-how on how to make a working LSM launch system on a miniature scale, I don't think doing the signature triple launch present on all of the Sky Rocket II coasters will be possible here sadly. There is a slight chance that I may automate this model with a Raspberry Pi that I've recently picked up, but I wouldn't get hopes too high for that.

All feedback is welcomed.

#2 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:21 PM

I would love to see working mini lsm launches, would be crazy to see, i know some people have experimented with them in the past. 

#3 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

The support structure so far is really clean! Looks to be quite a large scale recreation.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#4 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:50 PM

I don't think i have ever seen a working model launched coaster using magnets. That would be pretty sweet. I am guessing that it would take a lot of magnets?

#5 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:32 PM

Update 1!

Construction on the front tower is near completion and I've started assembling the track. I haven't finished the cross beams on the tower because at the moment I'm out of hinge/ball & socket parts. I've done some stress testing on the tower with the train in the picture below, and so far the results are impressive. Even when I push the train as hard as I can up the track and the incompleteness of the tower, there is little to no wobbling.

6/15/2020

I'm going to order more hinge parts so I can complete the cross beams on the tower soon. However, in the meantime I'm going to start on the rear tower and the launch system.

#6 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

wow, I really diddnt think you were going for this large of a scale from that first picture, cant wait to see this finished.

#7 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:36 PM

Wow, that is... uh... very big. But it looks really well done! The support structure looks spot on.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: premier rides, sky rocket 2, skyrocket 2, launch