• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Brochacho

Brochacho

the new guy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hi! This is my first coaster on SSC, I built 2 previous ones before joining the site, and I'm excited to see how this one turns out. I've never tried these supports before, so I expect to get a lot criticism about it. I'm going out of town today so at earliest I can do another update tomorrow.

[IMG]http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j415/Roflstomper69/Construction%20Nov12-/111220111.jpg
shaky hand sorry
[IMG]http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j415/Roflstomper69/Construction%20Nov12-/111220112.jpg[/IMG]
That support at the end of the lift is temporary because it will obstruct the chain return
[IMG]http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j415/Roflstomper69/Construction%20Nov12-/111220113.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j415/Roflstomper69/Construction%20Nov12-/111220114.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Sorry if you find the images to be of low quality, they were taken with my phone which is like 3.0 megapixels
-Thanks
Roflstomper

#2 Gromit15

Gromit15

Strive For Perfection

• 388 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

Very good job for a new builder!;) Everything looks good to me!

In pieces logo thing

#3 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

I dont think that pictures are low quality. They are really great quality.
I really like the lift

#4 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Wow, this is an amazing coaster so far. If I had to guess who is building this, I would think your a expert builder! I can't wait to see your trackwork. But so far everything looks great. Keep up the good work,
KR11

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#5 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

Great start for your coaster! I have no criticism to give!

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#6 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

Great job! Please continue!

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#7 Brochacho

Brochacho

the new guy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

Thanks everyone for all of the positive comments! I haven't decided on a layout for this coaster so any suggestions will be taken into consideration. The next update will contain the pre lift turn and the station foundation. Once I've decided on a layout, I'll get around to the name.
-thanks
Roflstomper

#8 Micronex

Micronex

Another piece for my collection

• 1270 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

I think this could make a really small cute dive machine, lol.
If not, a heartline roll with the main drop incorporated into it, maybe at 45 degrees different to the entrance?

#9 Brochacho

Brochacho

the new guy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

I think this could make a really small cute dive machine, lol.
If not, a heartline roll with the main drop incorporated into it, maybe at 45 degrees different to the entrance?

You mean like a heartline roll that's angled downwards?

#10 Micronex

Micronex

Another piece for my collection

• 1270 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:25 PM

I'll make it on NL and send you a picture.

#11 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

I've never tried these supports before, so I expect to get a lot criticism about it.

Nope, you are doing fine. Only thing that I noticed is that you are going for a slight variation by using the standard diagonals.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Brochacho

Brochacho

the new guy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

Okay sorry for not updating for awhile, I'm quite the procrastinator. Anyways, I finished the drop and the loop. I know the loop is a little circular rather than ovalish and is quite undersupported, i just wanted it at a point where the train can clear it
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
thanks
-Roflstomper

#13 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

You will actually get more speed from an elliptical loop, but if you don't think it will work you don't have to try it is just a suggestion.

Posted Image

#14 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

Are your cars weighed/lubed yet? If so, I would do that. Huge speed saver. I would also try making the loop a little more of a teardrop shape. If it doesn't work, just switch it back to the loop you have now. It it looks good. Keep it up!

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#15 Brochacho

Brochacho

the new guy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

You will actually get more speed from an elliptical loop, but if you don't think it will work you don't have to try it is just a suggestion.

Are your cars weighed/lubed yet? If so, I would do that. Huge speed saver. I would also try making the loop a little more of a teardrop shape. If it doesn't work, just switch it back to the loop you have now. It it looks good. Keep it up!

I'll lube and weight them this weekend (or sooner) and the loop is circular instead of teardrop shaped only because i wanted to have the loop at a height where the train could clear it

#16 Brochacho

Brochacho

the new guy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

Okay so an original knex coaster set i bought just arrived. I bought it for like $56 and I would like to know if that is a reasonable price for it
thanks
-roflstomper

#17 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

If you're talking about the original k'nex coaster with the car you had to build yourself, without a chain dog or upstop wheels... for $56.00?

I'd say you made off like a bandit. (ninja)
Nice find.

#18 Brochacho

Brochacho

the new guy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

If you're talking about the original k'nex coaster with the car you had to build yourself, without a chain dog or upstop wheels... for $56.00?

I'd say you made off like a bandit. (ninja)
Nice find.

yup thats the one

#19 Brochacho

Brochacho

the new guy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

ULTRA BUMP!!!! :D
I just got back into knex again and decided to scrap the majority of this coaster. Here's what I've got so far (I kept the lift)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
these were taken with my itouch, sorry for the slight fuzziness

#20 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Looks good, but the drop is definitely crooked. I would also like to see that pullout and turn a little wider. From the looks of when this forum was left off, you probably haven't lubed your cars in a while. Make sure you do that!

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compact, hyper jump, hyperjump, lambchopz