K’NEX® New Thrill Ride Sets (Son of Serpent)

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#1 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

K'NEX has made a press release a couple of days ago. It was briefly discussed in The Longest Thread, but it clearly deserves its own thread. To summarize what is said: 3 new roller coaster sets will be released during fall 2012. One of them is a major SS-styled classic K'NEX coaster called Son of Serpent. It will come with over 5000 pieces and will cost, according to this press release, around $1000. I will keep you up to date if I get a hold of more information on these new sets.

The actual press release

Four New Sets Promise Big Building Fun!

Hatfield, PA (PRWEB) February 09, 2012

K’NEX Brands, the US construction toy company focused on Building Worlds Kids Love™, is pleased to introduce four new roller coasters to its hugely popular Thrill Ride line of building sets. Sure to spark creativity, the coasters offer explosive fun for builders ages 9+ and include American made rods & connectors.

Rippin’ Rocket 2 Coaster™
The Rippin' Rocket Returns! Build an amazing coaster that soars 4 feet high! Loaded with over 500 K'NEX pieces including classic rods and connectors, this model boasts over 20 feet of twists, turns, and daring loops. A special motorized blaster launches the coaster car into its exciting journey around the track. For more fun kids can go to knex.com to download instructions for a 2nd cool coaster. Suggested retail price $59.99. Available fall 2012.

Atomic Coaster™
Clocking in at over 4 feet tall and with more than 37 feet of track, the Atomic Coaster is “explosive” building fun for every K’NEX fan! With exciting twists & turns, bright colors, and motorized action this dueling coaster set will leave kids wondering who will make it to the bottom first! Includes over 850 K’NEX pieces, a motorized, vertical chain lift to launch the 2 dueling coasters, and 2 tracks guaranteed to induce a jaw-dropping building and racing experience. Step-by-step, color-coded building instructions also included. Suggested retail price $69.99. Available fall 2012.

Son of Serpent Coaster™
Fans of the classic K’NEX Screamin’ Serpent Coaster will not be able to contain their excitement when they catch a glimpse of our new Son of Serpent Coaster! In celebration of the K’NEX 20th Anniversary this coaster set includes over 5000 fan-requested, American Made, classic K’NEX pieces, builds over 5 feet tall and 7 feet wide and is modeled after authentic steel coasters! This vintage style coaster includes 53 feet of original K’NEX track, 2 motorized chain lifts, 5 rail-huggin’ cars, 14 K’NEXmen figures, and color-coded building instructions. Also includes speakers for your MP3 player! (MP3 player not included) Ages 16+. Suggested retail price $999.99. Available fall 2012.
The new K’NEX Thrill Ride building sets will be available on knex.com and at toy retailers nationwide.

About K’NEX Brands
Founded in 1992, K’NEX Brands, the world’s most innovative construction toy company, was established to make and sell what has become one of the world’s leading integrated construction systems for children. Winner of over 200 international awards and recognitions, K’NEX is America’s buildi ng toy company focused on Building Worlds Kids Love, and encourages youngsters to “imagine, build and play.” For more information, please visit K'NEX - The World's Most Creative Construction and Building Toys..

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#2 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

"Suggested retail price $999.99.". WOW. That's a lot! I hope they will make it (at least) 5 times cheaper...

#3 CduckettC

CduckettC

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Common now $999.99? That's just plain ridiculous... I really hope it goes down. It sounds big for a knex set, I wonder what the layout will be...

#4 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

I choked when I saw that price point.

#5 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

To me, it feels like the 999.99$ price is one big middlefinger to all our complaints about them not making the SS sets anymore.

#6 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

^So very true, I felt exactly as you described when I read the prize.

-=tK=-

Posted Image

#7 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I'm just so pissed about that price. COME ON KNEX!

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#8 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

=) at the name.
(eek) at the piece count.
:'( at the price.

Perhaps they can knock a couple hundred bucks off the MSRP if they decide not to include the MP3 speakers. I'm suspecting it'll be a dueler. I could almost understand the $1000 price tag if this thing came out looking like Gump's Looping Star, or Ickus' Basilisk Rail.

#9 Dabubs

Dabubs

Where is the love?

• 186 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

Save us eBay..... LOW PRICES PLEASE!!!!!

Posted Image

^^Thanks Ward!!!^^

#10 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Dang, I never thought they would make it that expensive. Curious to see if they made a good layout

EDIT: Why in the world do they include MP3 speakers?

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#11 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

^^^ No it won't be a dueler. When I went there this is what I learned about the ride: It will have a five car train, two lifts, a station, and the builders were trying to include as cross ties as possible because they actually go here and check SSC, they are making this ride to fit our needs (or at least trying to)

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#12 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

It will have a five car train, two lifts, a station, and the builders were trying to include as cross ties as possible because they actually go here and check SSC, they are making this ride to fit our needs (or at least trying to)

I highly doubt they'd care about our needs. They probably care more about how much money we'll pay for it if anything.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#13 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Let's be honest. If they were trying to meet our needs with this new set (majority of individuals still in school) 1K would not be the price point.

They said this set was due to fan demand. Our demand (from what I have read on facebook and around the internet) was something similar to SS. Not 5 times larger and 10 time the price point.

I would much rather buy 5 sets over time at $200 then 1 set all at once at 1K.

Also, was it just me, or did anyone else notice that it said 4 new sets but they only described 3. So is there maybe a smaller more realistic price point SS style coaster maybe to come? That way I can actually have something to be excited about.

** edit: Did you guys crash the knex.com website? (I can not get onto their site.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

The Rippin Rocket 2 contains two models.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#15 Snake

Snake

Construction Worker

• 444 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

When I first saw this I thought it would make the price of SS's go down, then I saw the price.

#16 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

SS coaster: Awesome

53 feet of track: Amazing

$999.99: Total Crap

I could buy 10 NEW SS's for that much and get twice as many pieces. I do appreciate that they are trying to do but I highly doubt anyone of us has $1000 they are willing to spend on this. (thumbsdown)
Oh well, might as well see what it looks like, maybe it will be worth it....maybe.

Posted Image

#17 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

I will wait for photos of these to official comment.

#18 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Let's be honest. If they were trying to meet our needs with this new set (majority of individuals still in school) 1K would not be the price point.

They said this set was due to fan demand. Our demand (from what I have read on facebook and around the internet) was something similar to SS. Not 5 times larger and 10 time the price point.

I realize that, but they are trying, the pirce isn't set, that have to highball it for the board and then it will be worked down. I talked to the guy in charge of the prototype build and he told me that they were trying to add extra x-ties for the members of ssc. The ride is actually pretty substantail and I doubt its only 5000 pieces. As for the cars, if you need trains, don't get this set. The cars have been altered to hold their newer knex people, ther brick people. So unless you're Ickus, they trains aren't for you. The builders said that the final pirce would probobly be set around $500. So seriously, they're at least trying. (so in a couple years we will be able to get them on Ebay for much cheaper from some poor sap)

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#19 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

^ Do you know if they are at least compatible with the SS cars?

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#20 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

I highly doubt they'd care about our needs. They probably care more about how much money we'll pay for it if anything.

They don't realize that we could easily get 10X as many pieces on ebay. They think we're dying to get a new SS. We can wait.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.