K’NEX® New Thrill Ride Sets (Son of Serpent)

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

I personally think that they wouldn't do that to us. $999.99 is to pricy. I would like to see it be $80- $150. Also I'd like to think that, if they were trying to answer our demands, that the price wouldn't be so high. But you know what can you do? At least the other coasters aren't as much. Maybe the reason the price is so high is due to the fact that this was, if not the, best selling product. Wanting to celebrate their anniversary by make an even better product. But I still think the price is silly. Please lower it KNEX.

#22 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

(for pkiknex) Not completely sure, but I think they do

edit: Maxwell, ya they know we buy on ebay, they watch our coasters on youtube. How else would someone get that many screamins serpents?

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#23 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

They don't realize that we could easily get 10X as many pieces on ebay. They think we're dying to get a new SS. We can wait.

Is this serious? I mean, come on. Used knex will ALWAYS be cheaper. How can a company possibly compete with their own products? Yes they know that products can be bought on ebay for less. How stupid do you think they are?

#24 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Is this serious? I mean, come on. Used knex will ALWAYS be cheaper. How can a company possibly compete with their own products? Yes they know that products can be bought on ebay for less. How stupid do you think they are?

I was exaggerating, but yeah, I didn't realize that they're used. Maybe twice as many pieces (new) on ebay?

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#25 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

I really want to see this coaster, because if it costs 1 grand, it has to be pretty sweet.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#26 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

They don't realize that we could easily get 10X as many pieces on ebay. They think we're dying to get a new SS. We can wait.

Lets give you an diagram since it might be hard to understand. This is K'Nex Coporate's mindset:

Posted Image

If we're even recognized by them, it's all an act really. Not trying to be dejecting or pessimistic, but companies can say all they want to about a particular group, but in the end they're all for the money. Yes K'Nex makes a good product in the end, but they are in no way, shape, or form, even looking at an online building company.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#27 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

If I had the money I would buy the set to support the company for making our beloved toy, but the price is just plain ridiculous. As others have stated, I think it's safe to say that SSC contains the largest SS-set fan base and looking at the average member age here they will not be able to cough up that amount of money by themselves.

The price is far from realistic to me, but naming a triple nine price in the press release is a bit killer now isn't it?

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

If we're even recognized by them, it's all an act really. Not trying to be dejecting or pessimistic, but companies can say all they want to about a particular group, but in the end they're all for the money. Yes K'Nex makes a good product in the end, but they are in no way, shape, or form, even looking at an online building company.

I think you are being too pessimistic. Apart from making money, companies also try to deliver products that the market asks. That is exactly what they are doing. The fact that they publish a suggested retail price that is exceptionally high doesn't mean they don't look at us anymore. Please calm down and wait for more information before going all berserk towards the K'NEX company (this is to all pessimists).

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#29 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

^^^Well, of course they are in it for the money. But making something too expensive for the market isn't going for money, it is just stupid. There are people out there that will buy it, and if all goes well, they might come out with smaller sets. On top of this, I'll bet that they will have pieces for sale on the knex website, maybe different colors of track connectors. Look at the bright side: It's back.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#30 Zem

Zem

Zemmiphobiac

• 483 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Deleted to prevent more unnecessary contact.

#31 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I went ahead and emailed and commented on knex site. I suggest you all do the same. I voiced general complaints and even linked them to this thread to show how displeased fans really are with this announcement. Hopefully if enough people show support we can for once keep knex from making stupid mistakes as they have in the past.

^ Stupid!!! Why the hell would you do that!?!?!? Do you really think that $1000 is the final price for it? If it is, don't you think that they would figure the hard way by watching it not sell? You really had to go off and ruin what we've been doing! We already have staff members in direct contact with K'nex trying to get details and set up benefits for the site. You have 9 posts on this site, you do not get to consider yourself as a representative of SSC!!!

We've building up to work on a partnership with K'nex for years. Are you guys really going to destroy that in a matter of days just because of a high price that isn't final? REALLY???

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#32 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I went ahead and emailed and commented on knex site. I suggest you all do the same. I voiced general complaints and even linked them to this thread to show how displeased fans really are with this announcement. Hopefully if enough people show support we can for once keep knex from making stupid mistakes as they have in the past.

I'm not displeased in any way, new sets are always a good thing, just that the price is odd doesn't make me hate the announcement or the new sets.

K'NEX and SSC are in a partnership so I don't see any reason to complain to them about this, they've done a good deal for us by finally making a new SS set and even making a special SSC showcase on their FB page. Obviously you have no idea *yet* of the position of SSC in relationship with K'NEX.

We should be grateful to them for hearing our prayers, now you are going to tell them they have been stupid for making that price so high, it isn't even the official retail price. That's one way of saying thank you! *sigh*...

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

I honestly like the way apal is thinking, if knex is coming out with a new ss coaster, the colors will be diferent (already no cuz they were thinking about blue cars) so we may have new cross tie colors as well as tubing. The best part is that it will be available on the site!

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#34 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Knex isn't stupid. They knew the price was going to create a buzz and it did just that. They know the opionions of this site very well. There is certainly no reason to spam them with what they already know.

#35 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Knex isn't stupid. They knew the price was going to create a buzz and it did just that. They know the opionions of this site very well. There is certainly no reason to spam them with what they already know.

I never thought about it that way! I just hope that one email didn't screw anything up.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#36 moose517

moose517

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

wow, i was excited reading that press release as well and see hte price, even as an older person with a steady job 1k is just way to much to spend on a toy. If it ends up around even 500 with the piece count and its actually very nice i might consider it, but thats still quite a chunk.

#37 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

This just made me want to die inside when i saw the price... i agree with stig if it was like looping star or something alot better but who cares about speakers? i could go out and but a cheap set for like 20 bucks and tape them in.
i really hope its good for that dang price..

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#38 Micronex

Micronex

Another piece for my collection

• 1270 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

The 6ft wheel was $500, and sold for £300 in England.

Based upon that, I assume this $1000 set will sell for £600 in England.

With that money, I could buy a 6ft Ferris Wheel, 4 SS, 1 RR, a HSTT, and a BBF. And have 18000 pieces as opposed to 5000.

If it goes to $400 I'm interested. Otherwise, I'm out.

#39 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

So, I got the 2012 catalog today.

Son of Serpent Coaster
Authentic Steel coaster design
2 motorized chain lifts
estimated 8,000 pieces
5 rail hugging cars
14 K'nexman figures
Speakers for you MP3 player
over 5 feet tall and 7 feet long
Color coded instructions

Ages 16+

price: TBD

Also, it will have 3 motors (Looks like 2 on the main lift, and 1 on the smaller lift)
It has a station with a roof, and also it looks like a concession stand

It appears to be Neon Green crossties with Blue tubing
The cars are orange.

this info is all from the 2012 catalog.
I will see about getting an image up possibly at some point.

I for one, may not agree with all of the decisions for this coaster, but I am ecstatic to see a new release of the cross-tie and tubing coaster released. Hopefully this will lead to other releases.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#40 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

Tht sounds awesome, James. Everyone thought it would have 5,000 pieces, but instead it's estimated 8,000 pieces. Also, it's nice they are going to have different colored tubing and a station with maybe a concession stand. I wonder how much they will sell it for though.

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it