K’NEX® New Thrill Ride Sets (Son of Serpent)

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#41 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

So, I got the 2012 catalog today.

Son of Serpent Coaster
Authentic Steel coaster design
2 motorized chain lifts
estimated 8,000 pieces
5 rail hugging cars
14 K'nexman figures
Speakers for you MP3 player
over 5 feet tall and 7 feet long
Color coded instructions

Ages 16+

price: TBD

Also, it will have 3 motors (Looks like 2 on the main lift, and 1 on the smaller lift)
It has a station with a roof, and also it looks like a concession stand

It appears to be Neon Green crossties with Blue tubing
The cars are orange.

this info is all from the 2012 catalog.
I will see about getting an image up possibly at some point.

I for one, may not agree with all of the decisions for this coaster, but I am ecstatic to see a new release of the cross-tie and tubing coaster released. Hopefully this will lead to other releases.

Can you post a pic or pics please?

EDIT: I reread your post. Sorry.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#42 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Seems to be very good for how much it cost. I think the quality of this ride matches the price for it. But still there is no way Im buying this.

#43 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

I think that until we see a picture of the coaster, I know I'm still not sure about the price related to the size and parts. Now if the coaster is gigantic, the price is understandable. For all we know, this could be the size of 3 Screamin Serpent (the way it sounds make it conceivable).

For me, I'm interested in the cars specifically,hoping that they're compatible with SS. I haven't heard very much about that however. Again, we just have to wait for them to fully release it. I wouldn't make an opinion about something you've only read about. Just like books and movies, the books are nothing like the movies and vice versa.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#44 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Notice I underlined the words in the image

MODEL NOT FINAL

also, I misread initially, no price is listed. It says pieces TBD.

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#45 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

^ It looks really cool, but whats the point of mp3 speakers?

Edit: If everyone knows that the price wasn't final, then why were people complaining about it in previous posts?

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#46 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Dang! That is actually pretty legit!

edit: I spy middle tubing on a non-lift section!

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#47 Micronex

Micronex

Another piece for my collection

• 1270 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Man, this looks awesome. If it goes below $500, I'm in. Time to count grey rods =)

EDIT: Has anyone else noticed some form of braking at the bottom? :D

#48 Eggo

Eggo

Vote for Pedro!

• 1212 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Looks like they have been looking at our coasters, a station and a brake run...

Posted Image
|Millennium Force|TTD|El Toro|Bizarro|Maverick|Wildfire|Nitro|

#49 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

^ 100% true.

One thing K'nex should know: add diagonals!!!

I really like that lift spine thingy. If the price is a bit normal, I might buy it, even though I am a VV builder.

#50 Coaster105

Coaster105

Lead Engineer

• 1035 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

I love the section after the first lift. It's twisty.

If this is final, the Kudos to Knex. I was expecting way less then this, but the brakes and station really add to it.

However, that definitely does not look like 8000 pieces to me. I imagine the final model will be a little more heavily supported with diagonals, to match that piece count.

-Coaster105

Youtube Channel

#51 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Oh wow. Thanks Ickus!

^^Judging from the height of the final few elements, I'm not sure if a type of braking is needed.

^^^ I see it too, right on that banked turn section by the first lift hill tower/connection.

I can see why K'Nex put this estimating a high price. It's well over twice the size of the original SS. Not to mention gives you 3 motors and a 5 car train that looks to be very similar to SS!

Also, did anyone notice the design for the backbone of the lift looks quite a bit like Skyrush/I305? Just that there's a bit more space than usual.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#52 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Can't wait to see what colors they make the x-ties and tubing (they build their prototypes out the pieces they have on hand)

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#53 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Oh my Goodness! That actually looks half decent! It looks almost like a good build until the loop :P Well done K'nex! Now just add diagonals and lower the price and I will be VERY happy!

#54 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Also, did anyone notice the design for the backbone of the lift looks quite a bit like Skyrush/I305? Just that there's a bit more space than usual.

Noticed, I was just about to comment on it. It still looks like those moderately to really unrealistic K'nex coasters, but hey, It's original peices and it's still definitely an improvement from the last few.

#55 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

However, that definitely does not look like 8000 pieces to me. I imagine the final model will be a little more heavily supported with diagonals, to match that piece count.

I wonder how many pieces it will have in the end... more pieces means insane pricing. I just hope K'NEX realizes that it's extremely hard to sell a $1000 toy, even if it includes a lot.

If everyone knows that the price wasn't final, then why were people complaining about it in previous posts?

because when you state a suggested retail price of $999.99 you're just asking for reactions. Maybe they're just trying to see how much we're willing to spend on SoS. ;)

Personally I am rather excited about this set. A list of the pieces would be awesome to see later on.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#56 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

pics and info

=D THANK YOU!

#57 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

It makes me wonder if we could buy spare parts such as x-ties and trains on the site for a cheaper price...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#58 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

^I certainly hope so.

#59 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Ikus, do you have any pictures of that other coaster, the Atomic one?

#60 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

I was hoping to see a corkscrew or dive loop or something to see how they build them.