K’NEX® New Thrill Ride Sets (Son of Serpent)

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#321 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I had a dream about jumbo knex once. The rods were as thick as tubes.

Kid K'NEX here ya go

#322 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

I like what this guy had to say...

Really nice to see an answer like that. Thanks Knex.

Posted Image

#323 Zem

Zem

Zemmiphobiac

• 483 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

On the Costco site there is a picture of the SoS with another loop on the first half. Is this an alternate model or an earlier version of the set?

Current vs Loop
Posted Image
Posted Image

#324 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

I think it's just the earlier version. The guy who made the videos I posted here I believe got it from Costco but he didn't have another loop. If you had the pieces though I'm sure you could add it in if you desperately wanted to. Kinda like a custom Son of Serpent.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#325 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Does anyone know why K'nex had to make this thing so freaking big and expensive? Considering that the SS coaster style was extremely popular, why would they make something that is financially out of reach for a good majority of their fans?

#326 Zem

Zem

Zemmiphobiac

• 483 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Does anyone know why K'nex had to make this thing so freaking big and expensive? Considering that the SS coaster style was extremely popular, why would they make something that is financially out of reach for a good majority of their fans?

This set, as well as the 6-foot ferris wheel, are intended to be display pieces often in toy stores to promote K'nex. K'nex realized what they were doing when they made it this price and don't expect the average person to pay that price. The main demographic for this set are kids that have rich parents, people who are extreme collectors, or business owners who want to have a large display piece in their shop. K'nex is familiar with the coaster model building community and realizes that most of us don't intend to purchase this set. Hopefully they will bring back the SS style of coaster in a smaller and more affordable set in the near future, but we will have to just wait and see.

Hope this helps.

#327 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but the trains are not exactly what we thought. They are different in terms of the seats, judging from this video. Not like it really matters to us, however.

EDIT: The "t=2m10s" isn't working, so go to 2 minutes and 10-or-so-seconds in and you can see as the train passes by.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#328 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

^Yep the seats are for the knex figures(the small ones that look like lego figures).
You can see it in this video:

#329 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

and ive only been saying this since i saw a thread about bringing this back
some what of like a year

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#330 CoastingKid

CoastingKid

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hey guys. Which coaster should I get with Christmas money the Coasterdynamix Scorpion or Son of Serpent?

#331 Zem

Zem

Zemmiphobiac

• 483 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hey guys. Which coaster should I get with Christmas money the Coasterdynamix Scorpion or Son of Serpent?

Wow you must have a lot of money to be able to afford a $1,000 set. If you are actually serious I would say the Son of Serpent out of those two choices. If you want my honest opinion though its over priced. K'nex are easier to work with than Coaster Dynamix and more people on the site use K'nex but Coaster Dynamix more realistic. If you want the K'nex flexibility I would advise you just buy a few Screaming Serpent sets off Ebay instead of the Son of Serpent. It's up to you though.

#332 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

My advice would be neither, I would hunt ebay and craigslist for good deals on Screamin Serpents, and possibly Coaster Dyamix. You'd get the same amout of pieces that way for cheaper.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#333 CoastingKid

CoastingKid

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

i saw the son of serpent for $500 online, but i could buy 2 scorpions for that! Why is knex easier to work with? Coastserdynamix looks like it has less parts to deal with. especcially supports

#334 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

It may have fewer parts but for me anyway it's a lot less fiddly. I find it takes a lot of effort to get the supports in place (I'm really weak I know) so just snapping parts in place to make boxes or tubes is much easier. Also, where did you see the Son of Serpent for $500 or is that the Cosctco one?

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#335 CoastingKid

CoastingKid

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

yeah the costco one

#336 Mikeyboy6123

Mikeyboy6123

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Does anyone feel like the Son of serpent is way overpriced? I mean, my dad thinks its too expensive for my Christmas budget; $100.00. D: Please lower the price, K'NEX! Does anyone know why this coaster is way too expensive?

#337 Mikeyboy6123

Mikeyboy6123

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I would say the Son of Serpent roller coaster would be the best option. You must have some serious Christmas money! B-D
~Mikeyboy6123

#338 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Does anyone feel like the Son of serpent is way overpriced? I mean, my dad thinks its too expensive for my Christmas budget; $100.00. D: Please lower the price, K'NEX! Does anyone know why this coaster is way too expensive?

It's meant to be a model for collectors, not the average kid:/ That's why they set the age 16+. There is a rumor that cheaper sets will come out next fall though.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu

#339 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

There is a rumor that cheaper sets will come out next fall though.

This isn't a rumor. K'NEX told me to 'Stay tuned for more exciting additions to our classic coaster line in Fall 2013!!' :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#340 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

This isn't a rumor. K'NEX told me to 'Stay tuned for more exciting additions to our classic coaster line in Fall 2013!!' :)

But they haven't said they'd be cheaper models, so I thought I'd say "rumor" :)

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png