no limits rnb simulator

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

hey guys. i have tried to make cable launches in the past and i have failed. i have finally found the right size surgical tubing and i am ready to make one and make it work. i have many problems with it, but i have a few major problems.

first of all, i need some sort of a motor system that can pull back the catch car. i have tried many different motors but they all stop pulling at around 3/4 the way up the track. does anyone have a suggestion for a good motor/motor system?

second of all, i need a release system. once i get the right motor/motor system created, i will need some sort of a release mechanism. can anyone give me any help on a release system? please note that i am not using NXT or any of that crazy stuff. i am just using 6-7 screaming serpents, a rip pin rocket, and a storm mountain set.

third of all, i need any suggestions on improving my launch. here are pictures and a test video showing what happens to my launch... Pictures by sonicriders789 - Photobucket

PLEASE BE HARSH! I NEED THIS TO WORK!

#2 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

If your having that many problems I would just go with a jesper launch. Its basically the same thing except you charge it by hand and the entire pulley system is made out of chain. Here's his guide if you don't know what I am talking about:

http://www.sscoaster...er-launch-8505/

I wouldn't copy it part for part but the basic idea makes for a great launch.

#3 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

If your having that many problems I would just go with a jesper launch. Its basically the same thing except you charge it by hand and the entire pulley system is made out of chain. Here's his guide if you don't know what I am talking about:

http://www.sscoaster...er-launch-8505/

I wouldn't copy it part for part but the basic idea makes for a great launch.

i have tried the jesper launch and it wash very powerful. like i said, i am making a cable launch and i want to actually make a successful launch with a cable launch.

#4 Snake

Snake

Construction Worker

• 444 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Well to start off a knex motor isnt very powerful so you need to reduce it's speed and increase its touque. To do this you need to use a small gear to turn a large gear. This is a good tutural to make a compact gear box:

K'nex gearbox: Make your K'nex motor 6x faster!

You will need to put blue gears were the red gears are and red gears were the blue gears are to make it slower instead of faster.

To make the release just remove to gears from one side and when you want it to release push the middle gear the in so it no longer meshes with the other gears and it should launch the car.

Some probems I see. (1) Does the car hit on the white rods sticking out from the catchcar guides? (2) I would secure the surgical tubing better, it looks like it could easly side off. (3) Its not good to let the motors click.

#5 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

Well to start off a knex motor isnt very powerful so you need to reduce it's speed and increase its touque. To do this you need to use a small gear to turn a large gear. This is a good tutural to make a compact gear box:

K'nex gearbox: Make your K'nex motor 6x faster!

You will need to put blue gears were the red gears are and red gears were the blue gears are to make it slower instead of faster.

To make the release just remove to gears from one side and when you want it to release push the middle gear the in so it no longer meshes with the other gears and it should launch the car.

Some probems I see. (1) Does the car hit on the white rods sticking out from the catchcar guides? (2) I would secure the surgical tubing better, it looks like it could easly side off. (3) Its not good to let the motors click.

1) no the car doesn't hit the white rods, i made sure of that XD 2) how do you suggest i secure the surgical tubing? pictures? thanks

#6 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Alpal is working on the release mechanism and the wind up mechanism for our launch, it is very complicated though. If he gets it to work I will be sure to post it here, for now all I can say is that you can keep up on Alpal and I's TTD thread and I will post as soon as there is automation progress.

Posted Image

#7 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

FYI, it works :)
I will be sure to post a tutorial eventually, but if you have questions, ask me. My idea is flexible, it will work for any size launch.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#8 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

FYI, it works :)
I will be sure to post a tutorial eventually, but if you have questions, ask me. My idea is flexible, it will work for any size launch.

good job! thats amazing! do you think you can pose a few pictures? it would really help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: no limits, rnb, simulator