• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JesseThunder

JesseThunder

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Is the track width same as Thunderbolt Strike? Is the black connectors the same size as neon green?

If so, I need help to find cars for it instead of that crazy dude on a sufer board on the track. And how many cars can this set take? What kind of cars?

~ When building a K'NEX hobby, you must attempt to ~
~ build at least one model copying a real roller coaster. ~

Posted Image

#2 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

As long as it's not slimtrack (micro K'nex), the older Screamin' Serpent style is compatible. This means yes, it is the same.

Any cars from any compatible track type set will interchange onto your track. Meaning, you can use the Rippin Rocket's, Screaming Serpent's, Shark Run's, Storm Mountain's, etc. on your track; in any number, as well.

Formally RK500

#3 JesseThunder

JesseThunder

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

What do you mean older Screamin' Serpent? I only see one kind. The Shark Run has the style that there's a bottom track/connectors and the top track with the middle support being black instead of neon green. The list of other coasters help, so I'm gonna pick the best color of cars that matches Shark Run. This one is a "water" coaster and I am planning a mini pond with blue male Betta in center of the of set or next to it. Only this coaster will have the bottom covered with blue sands surrounded by model bricks around the coaster to contain it as water and keep coaster in place.

Posted Image

#4 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

The Screamin/ Serpent is refered to here as a type of track. K'nex discontinued (hardly) this type of K'nex a long time ago.

That's why it is an "older" type of track.

Formally RK500

#5 JesseThunder

JesseThunder

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

Wow!!! Why did they discontinue those kind of tracks? They're much more realistic. Any chance they will ever release a new set of these kind of tracks? The Screamin' Serpent is too similar to Thunderbolt Strike, but will get Son of Serpent when its not insane above $500.

I believe the other kind of tracks that K'Nex have so many sets look really filmsy and unrealistic. Doesn't look stable to me. And they seems to not have the mini people as riders.

Other kind of tracks, I can't seem to find sets, that I see people have a lot of pictures of. The kind that has support poles. I so want a set so I can learn how to make those kind so I can create a copy of a real roller coaster. Ya know its like long steel beams holding a different kind of tracks. The tracks doesn't seem to come from K'Nex and want to know where they're coming from.

So far, I've seen three different kinds of tracks. Two from K'Nex and one from a mysterious source.

Posted Image

#6 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

The ones that you are talking zboutabout are called tubes. The were 'invented' a while ago to create a more realistic look. They aren't in a set. But they are made out of the common peeeces that are in regu!ar sets. Micro is a more cheaper (Isay that in set-wise) but can also look good depending on the builder. It all depends on what you are more comfortable with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#7 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

^Actually, I think he is talking about Coaster Dynamix because of the "different track".
Coaster Dynamix is indeed VERY realistic, but hard to get. If you buy it through the Coaster Dynamix site sets can run hundreds of dollars, your best bet for that is to look on E-Bay I bet.

#8 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

There are two main types of Knex track.

Posted Image

This is the kind that would have come with your Shark Run set.
Regardless of color, set, or origin, we refer to this type as SS.
All cars and track pieces are compatible.
Retired sets with this track: Screamin Serpent, Storm Mountain, Rippin Rocket, Shark Run
Current sets: Son of Serpent, Thunderbolt Strike, Sorcerer's Eclipse

Posted Image

This is the kind of track that you would find in any micro coaster set.
Regardless of color, set, or origin, we refer to this type as VV.
Compatibility can be an issue with older VV sets, but any set made in the last 5 years will be perfectly compatible.

Edited by pkiknex25, 21 February 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#9 JesseThunder

JesseThunder

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

Thanks, Gvus2001!

Thanks, people. :-)

I bought a Shark Run set at an awesome price and also got extra parts just in case plus more of the black tracks connectors to make it look more evenly space and realistic.

I also bought Screamin' Serpent cars (3 together) without the decals (yay!) and its included with 6 people/riders at a great price. I will use that for the Shark Run. I have fantastic creation setup idea when it goes on the grand theme park display.

Now, I have questions. Hmm, I'm gonna say Michaels, since they are more extensive on crafts than Hobby Lobby. What kind of paint should I get for the cars? I want to disappear the orange color. And what would be the perfect color to paint the cars? Remember, the decors on track (shark, etc) and tracks are blue. On the bottom surrounding the coaster will be glued mini model bricks to contain blue sand, which will present as water. If space permitted, I can build a round mini pond several inches high and have a male Betta (the pond will be sealed to prevent water loss and level higher than the blue sands.

Last question for the cars, I can not find mini stickers such as shark teeth on side of front car and maybe water wave stickers on side of middle card and whatever mini sticker on the back of car. I can't find any (same for no mini lightning bolt stickers for the Thunderbolt Strike cars).

Really need help on what kind of paint, brand, what's inside and best color for the cars since they will replace the weird dude on a surfboard on track.

Posted Image

#10 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

Look for anything without petroleum, as it will eat away plastic. Take some FINE (300 grit) sandpaper to the cars, and then spray.

I used plastic paint by krylon, but I never painted much.

Formally RK500

#11 JesseThunder

JesseThunder

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

Ok, thanks.

I was looking at motors and found colors other than green. There are two blue, light and dark. But one problem is that (not the colors), I see two different kinds of K'Nex motors (different shapes). Which one for the Shark Run? Picture, please?

The seller checked everything out and all is fine but wasn't able to get the motor running. So I need to order one.

Posted Image

#12 JesseThunder

JesseThunder

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

I was able to find instructions online for a full view of the motor all around and kind of logo, so I've ordered one. Also, it appears to be plenty of space in center of the coaster for good size pond for a Betta. Thanks all for the help.

Soon will have the big table ready, apply fake grass and start building the theme park. I will be building this coaster at the market without need to transport.

Posted Image

#13 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

I'd be interested in seeing how you put together a display table with fake grass.

#14 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:49 AM

The Screamin/ Serpent is refered to here as a type of track. K'nex discontinued (hardly) this type of K'nex a long time ago.

That's why it is an "older" type of track.

They did definitely NOT. There's a whole line of SS style models coming out this year. As was last year! Son of Serpent wasn't the best comeback for SS track, but they've made more models. Thunder Bolt strike is a SS style set and it's reasonably priced. http://www.knex.com/...r-building-set/

Edited by Maxlaam, 22 February 2015 - 06:51 AM.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 JesseThunder

JesseThunder

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

The Son of Serpent is a lil disappointing since watching videos, the ride is too short after ome lift and still short after second lift. Should've included a loop and spirals for such price. Happy more of this track style will come out. Any early release, hint or leak of pix?

Posted Image

#16 JesseThunder

JesseThunder

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:28 AM

Can anyone show me pix and vidz of the Shark Run with custom changes and additions? I'm building one right now but will stop before start of track. I think it will need to have higher lift. Want to add a loop and a circle near the end. Make it a bit longer and more kooler. Getting an additional set. I'm using two cars instead of the surfboard.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: full throttle, innovation, launch, rnb, vvc