compressed air launch s&s s&s power thrust air 2000

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RideOnKI

RideOnKI

BANNED

• 233 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum, but can someone make a S&S Thrust Air 2000? One that actually uses compressed air to launch it like the real one?

#2 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

You can feel free to do it. But it's practically impossible with K'NEX, and other materials. Just getting the force to launch the train would be hard. Then you have to make the air chambers, etc. So I can tell you I don't think it will ever happen. Sorry.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#3 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

A compressed air launch would perhaps be the most simple of the real-coaster launches to create. There are many products already made that handle compressed air very easily. The key would be to control all of that potential energy, still I think it could be done way before an LSM could.

If you wanted one that only used K'nex parts, refer to the picture below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:30 AM

^ Lol'd.

Yeah, well, it's definitely not impossible, if you have the right materials. But that'll be expensive...

#5 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

Well, I drew a couple of diagrams a while back. The hardest thing is to make the actual piston. I was thinking of using a bicycle pump, the vales and "plumbing" are relatively easy to get your hands on, but not too cheap...

It would come down to a lot of testing and measuring the pressure to see what the best results will be, it's tricky but I'm confident it can be done at a small scale.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Haaron05

Haaron05

Thee tower master

• 599 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

are you guys talking about this sort of thing? http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rNzpIsq6a5k

Posted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

(cop)KNEX AUSTRALIA!(cop)

#7 RideOnKI

RideOnKI

BANNED

• 233 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

^ I wonder if you could make a Thrust Air 2000 out of that. It would be the most realistic Knex coaster ever, because it launches the same way as the real one, just on a smaller scale.

#8 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

^ I wonder if you could make a Thrust Air 2000 out of that. It would be the most realistic Knex coaster ever, because it launches the same way as the real one, just on a smaller scale.

I wouldn't say a launch type would make it more realistic than quite a few models that have been made the last few years.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 RideOnKI

RideOnKI

BANNED

• 233 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Oh, sorry Maxallam! But it would still be realistic. Sorry about that!

#10 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

My personal opinion is that compressed air launches can be interesting for extreme accelerations. Actually I would rather see a launch that has the potential of a high final velocity, but with a weaker acceleration. Scaling down the acceleration, making it more realistic.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: compressed air, launch, s&s, s&s power, thrust air 2000