i305 lambchopz skyrush

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Time to start up again for the next Celebration of the Arts coaster at my school. Similar to an expo, this coaster needs to be impressive, big, and works. I've been contemplating with designs, and have finally decided to come back to a Skyrush/I305 Styled layout that I've failed multiple times before. However, this attempt has been a bit more successful....

Posted Image

(This thread will act as the construction/update thread for the coaster for the upcoming months.)

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 22 May 2013 - 07:34 PM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Wow, that just screams SKYRUSH, when I see the yellow supports, where do you plan the chain to go?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#3 Treeko890coastr

Treeko890coastr

Dark Explorers!

• 879 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

^lol your right.I know this is Skyrush. And hes going to try and make this exact right;).Its also youre favorite coaster.

I am a stegosaurus!
Signature removed as it was larger than limit.
My coasters:
Jaws,Overheat,Mine Train

#4 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

As sturdy as the supports look, it does look a little shaky, too. Other than that, this looks very interesting!

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#5 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

this is looking nice. Though you may have to add some support to prevent sway (but wait until you have the lift and the drop complete, as they may provide enough to keep the sway down.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Wow, this is some very nice work already and I'm very impressed with the design you're using for the incline of the lift. May we be able to see a few different views of that?

Posted Image

#7 Joost12

Joost12

Knex Freak

• 274 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Wow that is beautiful!

#8 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

That looks amazing...So, are you gonna build a recre or just a similar layout?

If you go custom, don't put in too many twisties. 2 or 3 in a row is a death sentence for your speed.

#9 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Those supports are beautiful! Just, stunning. That is just incredible. I can't wait to see the rest of the coaster.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#10 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

It would be cool and more realistic to use square supports the whole way instead of tubes. Those supports are so amazing.

#11 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Wow, that just screams SKYRUSH, when I see the yellow supports, where do you plan the chain to go?

Hahaha, I did base the lift off of that, but I'm not sure which way I'll go. Set myself up incase I'm going on the path of a recreation.

^lol your right.I know this is Skyrush. And hes going to try and make this exact right;).Its also youre favorite coaster.

Hahaha, maybe. Still not sure which direction I'm going. Indeed it is.

As sturdy as the supports look, it does look a little shaky, too. Other than that, this looks very interesting!

Thanks! It only shaky from laterals as of right now, but because of the support type, lateral supports aren't an option in the lift because of how awkward of lengths the pieces need to be. I don't have a plastic injection molding machine, so those supports won't be happening anytime soon.

this is looking nice. Though you may have to add some support to prevent sway (but wait until you have the lift and the drop complete, as they may provide enough to keep the sway down.)

Thank you. I'm planning on using fishing line to hold the two lifts together like the grey rods right now are doing. It'll be almost invisible and still do the job. I am interested in seeing what will happen with the drop when it comes to supports, but like you said, we'll have to just wait and see.

Wow, this is some very nice work already and I'm very impressed with the design you're using for the incline of the lift. May we be able to see a few different views of that?

Thank you. A very nice thing to hear from you. Different angles are posted below. I finished the lift hill so we can get the full picture.

Wow that is beautiful!

Thanks!

That looks amazing...So, are you gonna build a recre or just a similar layout?

If you go custom, don't put in too many twisties. 2 or 3 in a row is a death sentence for your speed.

Thank you! Not sure which direction I'll go yet. With twists, maybe 1, if any. I bet your recreation has helped you figure that out :D

Those supports are beautiful! Just, stunning. That is just incredible. I can't wait to see the rest of the coaster.

Thank you. I'm excited to see it too, but it'll be a while until we see the full coaster put together.

It would be cool and more realistic to use square supports the whole way instead of tubes. Those supports are so amazing.

I have looked into that and I have a few ideas for how to make K'Nex Square supports, but it's not the best choice (they're very weak and prone to falling apart).

Well, the time has come to investigate this very interesting lift! Time for awesome views! I'll start off with an overview from about an hour ago. The lift hill angle is a bit too steep (instead of 50*, it's 53.5*), but it's not that big of a deal to me.
Posted Image

Even included the awkward straight spot in the lift. I must say, it wasn't fun to build, but I like it overall. When the coaster accelerates, it's diameter increases, keeping the G's constant throughout the lift.
Posted Image

Ok, I love this photo... <3 Looking up from the station to your impending doom.
Posted Image

You can see that the backbone is a combination of spacing to get the perfect shape.
Posted Image

Skyrush:
Posted Image

My coaster:
Posted Image

Even have the first support on a slight incline....
Posted Image

I spy 3 pullies!
Posted Image

And incase you couldn't see them in the photo above.
Posted Image

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#12 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

This is going to be so boss. Now show us some built elements!

Posted Image

#13 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

It looks like the train may scrub on you lift guides, how fast is this thing gonna go?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#14 Joost12

Joost12

Knex Freak

• 274 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

This is going to be a BEAST! Very nice!

#15 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

That's easily the coolest looking lift I have seen on this site.

#16 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

This is going to be so boss. Now show us some built elements!

Hahaha, indeed. Not sure about elementa just yet (have barely enough space for the lift), but once we get farther into the year, I'll be buildind more elments starting in Sept after school starts. Thabks!

It looks like the train may scrub on you lift guides, how fast is this thing gonna go?

The rods sticking out if the lift? So far with spacing tests, everything's been good so far.

This is going to be a BEAST! Very nice!

Thank you!

That's easily the coolest looking lift I have seen on this site.

Hahahaha, I'd be humble and disagree, but I'm kind of agreeing with you.

So this is a new update on just progress and a test to see if this works. Laptop is messed up again and I'm left with just my phone. It's so big now, I can barely fit all of it in the photo

Posted Image

#17 msoccerkidm

msoccerkidm

Engibeer

• 699 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

It looks so precise and clean. I love it.

EDIT: Post 666 lolololol

Posted Image
thanx CC10

#18 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

I see this becoming a giga coaster. ;)
It's an amazing lift hill!

Edit:

Something that I just realized, your pulley gears at the bottom, will fall over because there isn't anything keeping them upright. The lift looks amazing so far, this will be a great coaster.

Dude, you have good eyes! I didn't even see that! However, it appears the rod with the wheel on it is attatched to the purple connector.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#19 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Something that I just realized, your pulley gears at the bottom, will fall over because there isn't anything keeping them upright. The lift looks amazing so far, this will be a great coaster.

#20 Treeko890coastr

Treeko890coastr

Dark Explorers!

• 879 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Nice Death Star:P Hpoe it doesnt shoot lasers at your coaster.
Anyways Awesome job on the lift! I like the creativity with the supports:D

I am a stegosaurus!
Signature removed as it was larger than limit.
My coasters:
Jaws,Overheat,Mine Train

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: i305, lambchopz, skyrush