i305 lambchopz skyrush

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Something that I just realized, your pulley gears at the bottom, will fall over because there isn't anything keeping them upright. The lift looks amazing so far, this will be a great coaster.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#42 Treeko890coastr

Treeko890coastr

Dark Explorers!

• 879 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Nice Death Star:P Hpoe it doesnt shoot lasers at your coaster.
Anyways Awesome job on the lift! I like the creativity with the supports:D

I am a stegosaurus!
Signature removed as it was larger than limit.
My coasters:
Jaws,Overheat,Mine Train

#43 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

I am so impressed right now! It's shaping is absolutely spectacular!

I do have a few questions I want to ask:
How will you fit this all in your building area?
Does the lift shake much?

Posted Image

#44 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

It looks so precise and clean. I love it.

EDIT: Post 666 lolololol

Thanks!

I see this becoming a giga coaster. ;)
It's an amazing lift hill!

Edit:

Dude, you have good eyes! I didn't even see that! However, it appears the rod with the wheel on it is attatched to the purple connector.

It's actually a mega, since its only 212 feet from ground level in real life.

Something that I just realized, your pulley gears at the bottom, will fall over because there isn't anything keeping them upright. The lift looks amazing so far, this will be a great coaster.

Right now, they can move. I might keep them that way, this way there's some give to the line and it won't be taken out on the catch or lift hill.

Nice Death Star:P Hpoe it doesnt shoot lasers at your coaster.
Anyways Awesome job on the lift! I like the creativity with the supports:D

Thanks! I hope to keep that up until the very end.... ;)

I am so impressed right now! It's shaping is absolutely spectacular!

I do have a few questions I want to ask:
How will you fit this all in your building area?
Does the lift shake much?

Hahaha, thanks! It's not everyday I can build this big. I'm amazed my parents let me! I knew someone was going to ask how I'll be fitting this in my basement and the answer is: I won't be. I'll have to double check, but my school will most likely allow me to store it in our technology lab. That's where the other coasters were stored while they were being built. They have a ton of parts as well, so it should be a lot of fun to build really big for once! As for the lift, it surprisingly doesn't shake that bad without guy-wires or lateral supports in the lift. I plan for the event (in late May) to have these wires to hold the lift supports together like the grey rods and to decrease any chance of shaking.

So right now, I'm working on exactly how my catch car is/will work. I was going to make one that was guided as you could see in updates above, but that was taken out because of the difficulty of getting it to curve right and let go of the car at the top (too much friction with the first design. I'm going to probably go for a chain link catch and I'll post how it turns out in the next update. Also, not sure if anyone noticed, but I spied with my little eye what looks to be a little shed by the base of the drop. Hmmm

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#45 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Well, it's late and I've been up for 17 hours, most of which spent being frustrated at a cable lift that didn't work, until about 10 minutes ago. Yes, the guide is crooked at parts, but I'll fix it tomorrow. Enjoy!

Note, the catch car will be longer. I also figured this would be a good way to post about the cable lift, rather than pictures that show nothing working at all.

Edit: ugh, I sound tired as hell.....

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#46 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

That's impressive, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

#47 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

This runs absolutely smooth. I will totally attempt to incorporate something like this in the future because of you!

So does this mean that this is a Skyrush recreation from the name of the video?

Posted Image

#48 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

The lift seems to work very well! Are you planning to make an automatic system for it?

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#49 KahluaCoasters

KahluaCoasters

Rut Row!

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

On the cable car, what does the train hook up to?

#50 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Wow, you did a great job on the look of this lifthill! I hope you will be able to get it working. As Jumpge already asked, is this a Skyrush recreation?

Posted Image

#51 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

That's impressive, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Thanks!

This runs absolutely smooth. I will totally attempt to incorporate something like this in the future because of you!

So does this mean that this is a Skyrush recreation from the name of the video?

Thank you! As of right now, I do plan on going for a recreation.

The lift seems to work very well! Are you planning to make an automatic system for it?

Thanks! Indeed, I'm working out how I'll be automating this ride on a separate thread, http://www.sscoaster...ctronics-14816/

On the cable car, what does the train hook up to?

Ah, that's secret for now..... :D

Round two, anyone? This features a drill launch/lift. This is close to how fast it will be for the ride.

Also, I'm getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed on Friday and Band camp starts tomorrow, so progress will be somewhat slow from here on out.

#52 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Amazing I firtst was thinking is this fake. Because it really works good.

Posted Image

#53 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

That might seems as though it is almost too fast.

Posted Image

#54 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Amazing I firtst was thinking is this fake. Because it really works good.

Hahaha, doubting my ingenuity.... Nah, it works!

That might seems as though it is almost too fast.

I agree. I watched the off-ride video of the lift and it does seem to go too fast. That'll be changed once I add the real motor I'm using. This was almost like a test to see if the arch could hold the weight.

Not really an update (maybe it'll get more comments..... :P ). Because of an almost catastrophic event, the base was tripled in width to resist lateral forces to the base.

Posted Image

I'm also looking into the support design. I've tried to make multiple designs of square supports, but some attempts were more successful than others. I've also designed one with 3D joints, but the design I really like (left) is awkward to attach to the base. However, any suggestions to do so are greatly appreciated. If I can get it, I will use it for sure.

Posted Image

Finally to sum up the post, a very cool (and updated) shot.

Posted Image

#55 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

It's really not a big deal seeing as how this is already awesome, but the lift does suddenly get less steep near the top (visible in last pic)

As for supports, go for the one that's most stable. Anything track that moves will kill speed, although for my recre I was a bit shocked at how much easier the layout was (speed wise) than I thought it would be.

#56 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

It's really not a big deal seeing as how this is already awesome, but the lift does suddenly get less steep near the top (visible in last pic)

As for supports, go for the one that's most stable. Anything track that moves will kill speed, although for my recre I was a bit shocked at how much easier the layout was (speed wise) than I thought it would be.

Yeah, I noticed that and have fixed it. It has to do with the tension between the two lift supports, for gravity is my biggest enemy with this lift. As for supports, I'm going to go tubes in this case. They aren't square, but they'll do the job.

So, as you can see, not much going on to the lift hill right now, but I can't say the same for the rest of the coaster :P

Posted Image

#57 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

Dude, solid work. It looks great right now.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#58 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Is the height from the lift to the first hill (and on every hill) going to be to scale off the real ride?

Edit- Oh, I just realized that you're going to have to do super-mega-uber-insane amounts of supporting on the hills and every part of the coaster if you want the train to make it full circuit. The reason I say that is because I see you're using tubes, and usually speed and tubes don't go along very well in the same sentence.

Posted Image

#59 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Dude, solid work. It looks great right now.

Thank you. Hopefully I'll keep that up ;)

Is the height from the lift to the first hill (and on every hill) going to be to scale off the real ride?

Edit- Oh, I just realized that you're going to have to do super-mega-uber-insane amounts of supporting on the hills and every part of the coaster if you want the train to make it full circuit. The reason I say that is because I see you're using tubes, and usually speed and tubes don't go along very well in the same sentence.

I'm not going to go crazy with the exact heights, but I have calculated the ratio (My lift is on a 1:40.5 scale). When it comes to the air hills I'll simply be going by eye for that. I could go crazy with calculations, but it's not necessary.

As for the track, I have been experimenting with different types of backbones, but I won't be able to really test them until I finish the first air hill (after I transport what I have to school, then set it all up....). I'm even looking into making a backbone that resembles the backbone of the track on the real ride too.

Well, during this break, lots of things have changed with that lift hill! :P Actually, I'm still working on how to make laterals for this coaster. It can withstand moderate laterals, but I'm a bit concerned about what will happen with a real train, and it being at a high school for a few months.....

Posted Image

Well, on the other end of things, construction has exploded out of control!

Posted Image

I also forgot to show this in the last update, but here is the catwalk design for the lift hill I'll be using.

Posted Image

Back to the station, climb up the invisible stairs and get in the queue!

Posted Image

Bathrooms and all!

Posted Image

And the cut-out on the wall, as well as the "security camera".

Posted Image

The storage track is completed as well. It has two wheels in the building, just inside and about 1/3 the way in, to help propell the car in and out of the track when necessary. I was debating about having a working transfer track, and I have decided that with the high possibility of something to go wrong on the train like last year, a way to get a car off the main track is good.

Posted Image

The cable return has changed, that the angle going to the lift hill has been changed to be more accurate and that the cable runs under the base now.

Posted Image

The tension pulley for the cable has also changed locations.

Posted Image

... And with a storage track, there has to be a transfer track! I know many people like automatic transfers, but seeing that this won't be used very frequently, the transfer track is manual.

To main track:
Posted Image

To storage track:
Posted Image

And to end this update, I'll give you your soon-to-be POV shot from the brake run....

Posted Image

#60 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Wow, that station! It's so realistic! I love the transfer track too! I think the whole coaster is absolutely fantastic so far!!!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: i305, lambchopz, skyrush