i305 lambchopz skyrush

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Looking good so far I can't wait for the layout, is it going tribe tube supports? You should definelty do a working transfer track, and are you going to using two trains on the track?

#62 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

I like it even better! And that station blew my mind...

Posted Image

#63 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have always wanted to make a cable lift like that. I just never had the confidence or patience to make it work with an NXT set (I'm too cheep for Arduino). It looks great so far. What are you doing to keep track of the position of the catch car for the cable lift? Are you using limits switches on each end or some kind of encoder set up on the winch?

#64 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

I love the station and cable lift! I can't wait to see whats next!

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#65 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

Wow, that station! It's so realistic! I love the transfer track too! I think the whole coaster is absolutely fantastic so far!!!

Thank you!

Looking good so far I can't wait for the layout, is it going tribe tube supports? You should definelty do a working transfer track, and are you going to using two trains on the track?

Thanks. I'm aiming to make it tube supports, although I have been experimenting with different supports, tubes look like it's the way to go. The transfer track does work, but since it's not going to be used very frequently, it's manual. I'm going to have two trains max run; any more and the block system would fail, and any less would be sad.

I like it even better! And that station blew my mind...

Thanks! Guess this is what I'm able to accomplish when I can dedicate enough parts to it. As for the rest of the coaster, I'll be trying to maintain that throughout.

I have always wanted to make a cable lift like that. I just never had the confidence or patience to make it work with an NXT set (I'm too cheep for Arduino). It looks great so far. What are you doing to keep track of the position of the catch car for the cable lift? Are you using limits switches on each end or some kind of encoder set up on the winch?

Good luck with that NXT; the servo isn't strong enough (even tripled up), and I'm pretty sad I can't use it for this. As for position of the catch car, that will be like last year's coaster, where it's just based upon how many revolutions:

- 10 rotations at 5 rpm
- 1 rotation at 4 rpm
- 1 rotation at 2 rpm
- hold for 10 seconds
- -1 rotation at 2 rpm
- -1 rotation at 4 rpm
- -10 rotations at 5 rpm

As for sensing the train itself, there will be a few reed switches placed throughout the layout at key points that will help keep the coaster running and maintaining a block system. I'm hoping that the ride can run itself minus the dispatch, which I will control (unless under automatic or public allow). That's what the two control panels will be for. I'm still debating about using reeds or rotary switches like on Looping Star for those pesky spots the train may move too fast, but I guess I'll have to test it out Knowledge of HTML, Java, and C++ really helps in times like this!

I love the station and cable lift! I can't wait to see whats next!

Thanks! You and me both!

Any more? It may be a little bit until I get more built than with what I have (minus maybe the break run and transport to it).

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#66 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

You see I would have used a drill to power the lift and an NXT servo to pull the trigger on the drill. Then I would have had another flip the drill's direction switch or a two direction gear box (Its actually very simple) shifted via a servo. Then use a touch sensor as an encoder to keep track of the winch's rotation. All of this works in my head I just don't feel like going through the trouble to build it yet. But you plan sounds solid and it should be a lot easier to accomplish with an adruino and good old C code.

#67 Geartooth

Geartooth

Coasters and Biking

• 491 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

This is looking great! The cable lift works way better than mine ever did. Can't wait to see more.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#68 Joost12

Joost12

Knex Freak

• 274 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

That looks awesome!
-Joost

#69 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

It looks great. I like all the details. :)

Posted Image

#70 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

Sigh, decrease the distance between the reed switches and the magnets on the train to a minimum and there will always be a signal. You just got scared by Max, since his chassis design allowed the train's magnet to move around the reed switch. I have a reed switch right in front of Balrog's MCBR and the front coach rushes over it very quickly, but still I always get a signal from that reed switch.

You still haven't written a sequentional function chart. Get working on that.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#71 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

You see I would have used a drill to power the lift and an NXT servo to pull the trigger on the drill. Then I would have had another flip the drill's direction switch or a two direction gear box (Its actually very simple) shifted via a servo. Then use a touch sensor as an encoder to keep track of the winch's rotation. All of this works in my head I just don't feel like going through the trouble to build it yet. But you plan sounds solid and it should be a lot easier to accomplish with an adruino and good old C code.

I was going to use a drill, but for programming and full control purposes, arduino.

This is looking great! The cable lift works way better than mine ever did. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks!

That looks awesome!
-Joost

Thank you!

It looks great. I like all the details. :)

Thanks!

Sigh, decrease the distance between the reed switches and the magnets on the train to a minimum and there will always be a signal. You just got scared by Max, since his chassis design allowed the train's magnet to move around the reed switch. I have a reed switch right in front of Balrog's MCBR and the front coach rushes over it very quickly, but still I always get a signal from that reed switch.

You still haven't written a sequentional function chart. Get working on that.

Got it. I'll most likely post that in the Electronics thread for this coaster.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#72 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

I don't have any experience with the electronic aspect of this ride, but everything else looks very well executed. As you mentioned, laterals will probably be needed as the train hits the curved pullout. If you want to go for something discreet, some twine might do the trick. Just a thought. Looks great so far!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#73 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Sorry it's been so long since my last update; band has been taking up a ton of time, but has just ended less than 4 hours ago. I haven't made significant progress from where I was 2 months ago, but what I have accomplished will be crucial for the ride's performance. I am looking into moving the coaster to school so more progress can be made in the next few weeks. I will also be receiving a crucial package this week that will help with this project.

Overview (notice, no tension rods between the lift supports....)
Posted Image

Hasn't changed much, except the 2nd support has been moved over about a white rod's length to compensate for the curving of the backbone and bending of the support.
Posted Image

This support has been adjusted so the tilting occurs more in/below the base than above it.
Posted Image

Both pulleys have been made to be tensioned. With the weight of the cars, the elasticity of the string, and pulley placement, this was necessary. The lift runs much better now. Also, the pulley that's in the station has changed to a smaller size and has moved forward so there's less string pulling up from the guide.
Posted Image

New backbone design allows for a stronger and straighter lift hill that can handle it's own and the car's weight very well.
Posted Image

With the design, and now straighter and better-looking lift hill from a view from the station.
Posted Image

However, the lift seems to "tilt" to the right at the apex, then back to center when it meets the lift support.
Posted Image

Nothing's changed here.
Posted Image

And I've begun a bit of pre-design/tests for the stairs. The station may be the front of the ride, so I'm preparing for some scenery to be added here incase the design I want can't be achieved.
Posted Image

Thanks and prepare for some major building to occur in the next month!

#74 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

Yes! This project is awesome! Great to hear about the major building this month!

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#75 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

what will be in that package?

#76 Micronex

Micronex

Another piece for my collection

• 1270 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

Well done with the TV in the first picture. ;)

I like it. Looking forward to seeing some elements after the lift-hill... I predict a 'surprise' inversion or two somewhere mid-to-late layout. That would just scream awesome.

#77 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

I would guess some sort of micro-controller.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#78 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I would be careful that you don't spend too much time on details. Because you might run out of time, and not finish the layout. But it looks really good right now:)

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#79 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Looks Good. Now focus on the building of the ride. Then worry about the details.
The lift looks amazing, and I am very excited to see the cable lift. Excellent work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#80 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Yes! This project is awesome! Great to hear about the major building this month!

Thanks!

A lot of things. I don't recall every single thing I bought, but it's quite a lot.

Well done with the TV in the first picture. ;)

I like it. Looking forward to seeing some elements after the lift-hill... I predict a 'surprise' inversion or two somewhere mid-to-late layout. That would just scream awesome.

I didn't really try, truthfully, but I've also had friends point it out..... I still don't know if I want to aim for a truly custom layout or make a recreation. I'll have to get it to school and see the supplies I have and what I'll be able to accomplish with them.

I would guess some sort of micro-controller.

I have a list of parts I'll be ordering ready, but I'm not purchasing them until I get closer to the event (due to the cancellation for my ride, building problems, etc).

I would be careful that you don't spend too much time on details. Because you might run out of time, and not finish the layout. But it looks really good right now:)

Thanks

Looks Good. Now focus on the building of the ride. Then worry about the details.
The lift looks amazing, and I am very excited to see the cable lift. Excellent work.

Thank you! I currently have done some work to it so it can work better, but I will also be looking into other materials for cable that will work better than twine at the moment.

So a mini-update before the move - lift hill change.

I felt that the crest I had before wasn't reaching the height I needed and wasn't sharp enough at the crest nor shallow enough at the awkward straight-like spot. I've fixed both of it and have re-tracked it. It still twists laterally at the top, but no where near as much as in the previous crest.

Posted Image

The ending may look awkward, that's because it's not really finished.

Posted Image

And I'm still fighting gravity....

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: i305, lambchopz, skyrush