chain dog rippin rocket

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Ok so here it is, please tell me what I should fix on the pullout because it looks kinda funky to me.

Just a look at how I set up the chain at the top
Posted Image
Here is the pullout
Posted Image
I think this looks a little too tight, correct me if I'm wrong
Posted Image
These are two angles at the supports I have at the bottom
Posted ImagePosted Image
Overall progress. The ride is 5' 5" tall
Posted Image

Edited by amagzi24, 12 March 2013 - 05:37 PM.

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

There is quite an obvious sharp spot in the middle of the drop going into the pullout which is probably what is making it look a bit weird. I would probably pull the track just down from there into the structure to smooth that out and creating a nice smooth pullout from where you end up. I would also consider making the crest more circular which shouldn't be too difficult but I do like the chain setup at the top.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Alright, I put some finishing touches on the drop. the middle looks a lot better, and I tweaked a little sharp spot at the very bottom, which looks a lot better now. I wish I could change the shape up top, but it would really screw everything up and I might end up having to remake the whole drop, so I'm gonna leave it the way it is. My mistake.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 william0510

william0510

Construction Worker

• 295 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I think the drop pulls out to quickly causing straight spots. You should lower the supports at the bottom of the drop and I think it will be much better.

If you wouldn't build it with knex, don't build it at all

#5 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Also, You may want to make the entry into the chain lift a little less sharp. It's ok if the transition track into the lift is elevated, but make sure that that entry is mellowed out a bit. Your drop is good though.

#6 Zem

Zem

Zemmiphobiac

• 483 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Don't shape the track to the supports, shape the supports to the track. You should also stagger you flexi rods and get rid of the straight ladder connectors so you don't end up with sharp spots between track segments.

#7 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Alright so I adjusted the drop some and got rid of the flat parts for the most part. I also removed all of the ladder pieces and put in some track strengtheners. Next up is a big immelmann. As for the lift entry, I'm not exactly sure what I should do with that to make it larger. I guess I might have to change the station's location, but I would rather an alternate solution.

School and track have been taking up a lot of time lately. I have only had time for minor tuning so far, but I might finally be able to build the immelmann tonight or tomorrow. The good news is, the drop is finally perfectly round!

#8 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

OK, take three on the immelmann. It's a lot taller now. It is unintentionally pulled out a little more than Griffon's inversion, but I kinda like it. The drop is basically as good as it will get. I'll take photos if anyone wants. Oh, and there's also a test video just to get a different perspective.

Profile view. Notice the Ray Lewis fathead in the background. PURPLE PRIDE!!!
Posted Image

Thought this would be a cool view
Posted Image

Posted Image

Doesn't it kinda give the illusion of looking like an overbank in these next two? kinda funny
Posted Image

It looks like a sharp spot at the top here, but it's actually not
Posted Image

Here you can see one or two sharp spots. I also have to work on the twist after that last big tube.
Posted Image

A test for you guys
Posted Image

Tell me what you think!

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

#9 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

you should take the cars apart to clean the axles

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#10 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

I have a tip for you for when it comes to building tubes. You probably know that it is very important to have some good supports for your coasters to prevent that your cars will lose speed very fast. So you also know that it is important, especially with tubes, to have some decent supporting.
I would advise you the following when it comes to building with tubes: Make sure to have 1 tube connected very strong to the track, that goes straight down with a strong connection to your base. And then add a diagonal to the tube support, and connect it to the "straight" tube support at about 3/4 of the whole length.
You should get something like this: Posted Image

I hope this will help you!

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#11 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

you should take the cars apart to clean the axles

Yes, and I will. I think I might have said that in the video but maybe not.

I have a tip for you for when it comes to building tubes. You probably know that it is very important to have some good supports for your coasters to prevent that your cars will lose speed very fast. So you also know that it is important, especially with tubes, to have some decent supporting.
I would advise you the following when it comes to building with tubes: Make sure to have 1 tube connected very strong to the track, that goes straight down with a strong connection to your base. And then add a diagonal to the tube support, and connect it to the "straight" tube support at about 3/4 of the whole length.

I hope this will help you!

-=Tk=-

Yeah, I do know. I completely understand the principle and appreciate the explanation. The problem is I will likely have just enough supports to finish the coaster, I don't really want to risk using too many grey rods. (which I'm short on). I have made various forms of stabilizers near the bottom for the two big ones, with other pieces. They work pretty well. I am planning on using that standard technique for the rest of the ride, just not right here.

#12 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, I do know. I completely understand the principle and appreciate the explanation. The problem is I will likely have just enough supports to finish the coaster, I don't really want to risk using too many grey rods. (which I'm short on). I have made various forms of stabilizers near the bottom for the two big ones, with other pieces. They work pretty well. I am planning on using that standard technique for the rest of the ride, just not right here.

Considering that you are rationing out your tube supply, I would advise making your coaster smaller, for the sake of stability and overall shakiness. The smaller the coaster, the more you can just attach one tube after the other to make it solid. I like your design, makes me want to go back to SS instead of VV. Also, maybe post a test vid? I think that will definitely help us help you.

#13 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Posted Image

I did. Here it is again. I have since fixed the two sharp spots that I pointed out in the vid.

#14 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

You should certainly follow Tom's advice, and if you don't have enough pieces it's better to start a bit smaller. I think this coaster has a lot of potential to become a good one though, you should simply follow everyone's advice :). Good luck.

Posted Image

#15 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I know I have been disregarding a lot of advice and I'm truly sorry for that. It's just that I've had this design in mind for a few months now and I really want to see it go up. The good thing is, it is basically out and back, so it will require less pieces. If I have to, it shouldn't be too hard to order some more grey rods, which is the only thing I could end up short of. After this, I promise I will build smaller.

#16 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

You can also just buy more Screaming Serpent sets ;).

Posted Image

#17 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

UPDATE!
This morning, my dad and I went to Home Depot and got silicon spray, along with some other household items. I was still not that confident that it would work as well as I needed it to, but I applied it to my first car anyway. Before, the car would barely make it past vertical, but now it MAKES IT!!! I am ecstatic! Here's what it looks like...

Posted Image

#18 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

You should add 2 cars. From the looks of it it looks like it is supported good so try and add another car

#19 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

You should add 2 cars. From the looks of it it looks like it is supported good so try and add another car

Actually, I have more cars. I just used one because that was all I had oiled at the time. All of them are oiled now, so its all good ;)

Ok folks, I have another update! No one probably saw this one coming. I know it is very uneven, but it has to be if the first part is going to be on top. There are many things to be said about this new element, so fire away! I know there is a lot of shaking in the second valley, I am still working on supporting that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

I see a little sharp spot before the helix, its in the pullin, also try and use at least 2 or 3 cars, you should also support your turn after the drop, once you fix that you will be golden! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chain dog, rippin rocket