chain dog rippin rocket

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

I think you should make the next element a little higher don't you think?

#22 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

Hmm, Please try to support alot more. if you can get the ride without shaking im sure you can double the hight of the 2nd Innerversion!

#23 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

^I agree quite a lot more effective supporting is needed to get more speed out of it. The next element could be higher and will be able to be made even higher once the shaking is sorted out. I do quite like the layout though.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#24 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

I see a little sharp spot before the helix, its in the pullin, also try and use at least 2 or 3 cars, you should also support your turn after the drop, once you fix that you will be golden! :D

Yep. I will. The science fair experiment I'm using this for questions the ride time in comparison to the amount of cars, so it will operate with different length trains, as you will see. Apart from that, I will probably use 3. As for supports, keep reading!

I think you should make the next element a little higher don't you think?

Do you mean the inclined loop or the next element? Please clarify. If you mean the inclined loop, that may be hard.

Hmm, Please try to support alot more. if you can get the ride without shaking im sure you can double the hight of the 2nd Innerversion!

I did add some more support, and there is not much shaking at all now. I don't think I will double the height, though, It still has to look like a loop, if you know what I mean ;)

^I agree quite a lot more effective supporting is needed to get more speed out of it. The next element could be higher and will be able to be made even higher once the shaking is sorted out. I do quite like the layout though.

Thanks! Some complications though, as I will go over...

So I did support the second valley and a TK suggested, I added another vertical support to the immelmann after hesitation. I have some photos of that, along with some more of the loop, and a question. There is one more element which does not work, which I will need some advise with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Somewhat of a straight spot here, but I'll leave it as is.
Posted Image

Some up close and close-call photos...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little too close for comfort, don't chya think?
Posted Image

Here's the issue. I can make it a lot prettier and smoother by putting the entry on the bottom instead of on top, but I don't particularly want to risk doing that. Do you think it's worth it?
Posted Image

Here's a better view:
Posted Image

Here is the next, poorly supported element.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Because of sharp spots and various issues, it only reaches about here before falling back down, regardless of the amount of cars on the train.
Posted Image

Comment away! Please subscribe to my brand new youtube channel, "aaronmakescoasters"

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#25 stippy70

stippy70

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

Hello,
I like the layout of your coaster ,
But i can see a few issues.
Tape the ends of your tracktubing,
Add some extra crossties , and maybe add middle tubing if you have it ...
Good luck with the build .

#26 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I know I should of posted this earlier but oh well, the first element does not really look like a Immelmann. Here is a good pic for one.

Posted Image

Hope this helps you! :)

#27 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Yeah I know. I said earlier that it is stretched out a little more than I would like, but it still looks interesting so I decided to keep it. Technically, it still is an immelmann though, isn't it? Just a little wider. Anyway, I don't really want to argue about it.

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

#28 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

Hello,
I like the layout of your coaster ,
But i can see a few issues.
Tape the ends of your tracktubing,
Add some extra crossties , and maybe add middle tubing if you have it ...
Good luck with the build .

Huh, never thought of taping it. I'll give it a try next time! I would like to add more crossties, but that is included in the small list of pieces that I am running out of. I will probably get some more soon. After all, you can never have too many crossties. ;) I normally would put on middle tubing, but on a vertical lift coaster, a rubber band usually needs to be put on the car to hold the chain dog out at all times, which will sometimes scrape on a middle tube. Glad you like it! Thanks!

Ok, another small update. I completely took down the inclined loop and made another one, this time with the entry on the bottom. It looks a lot smoother now and actually has a decent teardrop shape to it. I wanted to have a twist in the following overbank, but it would have caused too many logistical problems in terms of the rest of the ride. If any of you had seen my first thread, "Drop Troubles", you might remember that this was going to be used for a small science fair experiment. That time has come, so I "finished" the layout and but a stopper on the end. This is only temporary, but I also need to buy some more sets so it may stay this way for around 2 weeks, I hope. Got lotz o' pics fo ya...

The loop...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little bunny hill I have on the "ending"
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the over bank...
Posted Image

A little doohicky that I made to support the track
Posted Image

I let my brother play with it real quick while I took this, as you can see. In case anyone was wondering, he's 10.
Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the block piece I made for the end. It's gonna be there for a little while until I can build again.
Posted Image

Comment away!

Come on, guys. I dont want to triple post!

#29 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I got some shots of it last night

X5 Test 3 - YouTube

#30 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Looks pretty good from what I can see. What you can maybe fix is the supporting on the helix after the immelman, also, on the turn after the helix, you should support that better. But overall, I say its good! Also, try and fit another inversion in there. I also like that you supported the immelman a lot better, I didnt even see the immelman shake at all. Anyways, really good work!
I like its style a lot.

#31 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

i think you should change your elements after the immelman. make them go "out" sort of away from the lift to make the layout seem bigger. you're also losing height pretty quickly. i think see sharp spots on your inclined loop. i hope this helps.

#32 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Looks pretty good from what I can see. What you can maybe fix is the supporting on the helix after the immelman, also, on the turn after the helix, you should support that better. But overall, I say its good! Also, try and fit another inversion in there. I also like that you supported the immelman a lot better, I didnt even see the immelman shake at all. Anyways, really good work!
I like its style a lot.

I put a little more support on the INCLINED LOOP and worked a lot more on shaping. It doesn't shake much at all and looks real pretty now. I thought the following overbank needed more support too, but it surprisingly holds up pretty sturdily so I haven't done much to it yet. Believe me, there will be more inversions. ;)

i think you should change your elements after the immelman. make them go "out" sort of away from the lift to make the layout seem bigger. you're also losing height pretty quickly. i think see sharp spots on your inclined loop. i hope this helps.

I would do that, but I kinda intended this to be an out and back coaster. I fixed what I could on the loop.

Ok, small update. I've tried to do a lot of detail work over the past month and I am satisfied with the results for the most part. In order to make my science fair experiment a success, I had to tear up the top and extend the drop some, which you can see. Now I can try to round it out more when I put it back together. I haven't changed much of anything on the immelmann, but I did a ton of work on the inclined loop. I managed to support the entry and exit better and rounded out the whole thing. Also, I didn't feel comfortable building more with the amount of pieces I have right now, but I just bought some more and real construction with resume soon! What's next? Well, that last flat part after the overbank will be gone, and in it's place will be a specific, special element that I believe has only been attempted once with K'nex. If you've seen the RCT3 coaster, Majestic, you might know what I'm talking about!

Picture time!
Posted Image

The loop has been improved a lot since last time
Posted Image

Micro Mike, does this clarify? :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

The vertical spike I made
Posted Image

A little thing I made for fun that rides the track. It only works on a few places, hehe.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Immelmann POV!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Ray Lewis Fathead in the background, just for fun.
Posted Image

Whaddaya think?

Edited by amagzi24, 27 January 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#33 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Your top immleman support is bending quite a bit. I personally don't like an inclined loop around the lift, or on a eurofighter:|. but it's a nice layout :)

#34 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Other than what soggy pointed out, I don't see anything wrong. Also, add more supports near the end of the layout.
Edit: Good job on this so far, I look forward to this being finished. ;)

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#35 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

I like the layout a lot! I really like how the immelman looks! It looks so smooth. And the inclined loop looks really good also! Just support it a little better and you will be golden! Good job so far! :D

Edited by Micro Mike 21, 28 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#36 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I like the layout a lot! I really like how the immelman looks! It looks so smooth. And the inclined loop looks really good also! Just support it a little better and you will be golden! Good job so far! :D

Thanks, I put a hell of a lot of effort into that immelmann! I've added some supports, too. Seems like the immelmann shakes more now, I'll have to look into that.

Other than what soggy pointed out, I don't see anything wrong. Also, add more supports near the end of the layout.
Edit: Good job on this so far, I look forward to this being finished. ;)

Thanks, I have added some more supporting near the end, and the overbank doesn't have to be strong since it doesn't go very fast over it.

Your top immleman support is bending quite a bit. I personally don't like an inclined loop around the lift, or on a eurofighter:|. but it's a nice layout :)

That support had been giving me a lot of problems. I fixed it, for the most part. As for the inclined loop... I guess the most polite way to say I disagree is just to say the I do ;). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I personally think it's cool and unique, plus everyone tries to focus on rationality, but that ruins the point of a custom coaster. The beauty of it is that you can do anything you want. Why not put an inversion on a strata coaster, or at least extend the layout? (another idea of mine) I think you sorta kinda got your wish with the coaster extending somewhat outward.

Ok guys, it's been a while. Micro Mike 21 and I have been following each other pretty close, so he's seen how this thing's been coming along. The night before the super bowl, my family helped me move the coaster over to the wall with the 52, so we'd have more room to do other things down there. I also completely re-tracked the ride so it's a LOT smoother! The mystery element I hinted about in the last update was interlocking inclined loops, kinda like what SCM did, but oriented differently. It only worked halfway, so I took that down. If you want to see what that looked like, visit my facebook and send me a friend request (Aaron Seth Magaziner). Anyway, I put in a short dip-turn and decided to have a neat-o flyin' snake dive towards the station. The station will be lowered to ground level within that structure. Enjoy!!!

The MONSTA!!!! XD
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ehh...
Posted Image

Over the station...
Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjixMNCxCso&list=HL1360549186

#37 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

This actually looks great! If you have the green X-ties replace the yellow ones with green and take out the yellow flexes and place the green ones on instead. Color coding is the only issue I see. You don't even have to make a station just make a turn back to the lift. Also, hook up that TT motor I saw on the ground instead of those SS ones. It'll be a lot stronger! Great job on this!

*Friend Request Sent*
EDIT- it'd probably help if you moved your motor assembly to the top of the lift structure. Just try it. ;)

Edited by Rollerfreak987, 10 February 2013 - 10:28 PM.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#38 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

I agree with Trevor on the color coding. Other than that, this is a pretty good coaster for your first!

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#39 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

This is your first?:o I didn't know! this is really good for your first! I must say you did a really good job on the twisty part after the inclined loop! But your crest looks strange again, fix that and you're good!

#40 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

This actually looks great! If you have the green X-ties replace the yellow ones with green and take out the yellow flexes and place the green ones on instead. Color coding is the only issue I see. You don't even have to make a station just make a turn back to the lift. Also, hook up that TT motor I saw on the ground instead of those SS ones. It'll be a lot stronger! Great job on this!

*Friend Request Sent*
EDIT- it'd probably help if you moved your motor assembly to the top of the lift structure. Just try it. ;)

It'll be a pain, but I'll try to fix the colors. And I still want to have something resembling a station, just for fun. :) As for the motors, I actually have tried using the TT, but it wouldn't be able to pull it. And yes, it was at the top. I would add standards to that, but the motor speed is different. I guess I will just move on up so there are 2 up top and 1 at the bottom. Thank you though!

*Friend request accepted*
EDIT:Actually, I messed around with it and put all three SS motors up top. It works great! The TT alone still wouldn't work though, and I can't put that and the SS motor on the same chain or it will break.

I agree with Trevor on the color coding. Other than that, this is a pretty good coaster for your first!

Yep, I've actually surprised myself with how good this turned out!

This is your first?:o I didn't know! this is really good for your first! I must say you did a really good job on the twisty part after the inclined loop! But your crest looks strange again, fix that and you're good!

Haha, yep, I had never even attempted and custom layout before this. This is my true first! If you mean the crest of the first hill, it's pretty much stuck there. I've tried, but it doesn't want to change. Ehh

What I plan to do is turn right and do a barrel roll with a mild decline (parallel to the station). Then i will turn around into the station, build that up so it actually looks like something maybe, and then possibly install a Jo-jo roll before the lift, since I have room. I will work on bits and pieces of it during the week, and probably finish this weekend!!!

Edited by amagzi24, 13 February 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chain dog, rippin rocket