cedar point knex raptor rollercoaster

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Alright. I have wanted to make this ride forever and I finally feel like I might be able to pull it off. I finished the lift except for the chains and one of the supports is incomplete. The drop is also halfway done. My only issue right now is pieces, I am already low on metallic red rods and have had to buy about 400 brown ladder connectors so far. I need help figuring out a color combination that will use less of the same pieces but will still look good. After the loop I am planning for the tubes to have 4 grey rod sections and two metallic red rod sections because I now have more grey rods than metallic red. Anyways, on to pictures! Let me know what you guys think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Josh Monster, 18 October 2014 - 11:56 AM.

Posted Image

#2 KBP2000

KBP2000

I love music

• 266 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

O_O Dude, thats awesome!

Posted Image
KBP2000

#3 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

^^ I don't know...

How many people are building recreations of Cedar Point coasters? 4? Not complaining at all though..

I think the turn needs to be a little more banked. Here is a link to some pictures that show that it needs more banking: Raptor Photos by timonator1 | Photobucket

Keep up the great work! Hope you can finish it!!

#4 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I was thinking earlier on today what would happen if someone built Raptor at Cedar Point. If you're beginning to get low on some pieces already then good luck finishing the rest of it. At this scale it'll be difficult unless you can get a lot more.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#5 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

I'm so glad that someone is going to try to recreate this for once (I know TBM tried this, but he didn't get too far because he didn't want to build it or something). The supports are crazy awesome! I can't imagine building an invert that tall and having to track them up in the air while maintaining a sturdy structure.

The only thing I can say needs some work is the angle of the drop. At the beginning it is definitely not so steep, but it dives down a little sooner than you currently have. Click.

Posted Image

#6 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yes! This will be fun to watch. Yeah you definitely need more banking/flaring, and the angle of the drop needs to be steeper, especially after the banking. Pic: http://upload.wikime...t_east_view.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#7 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

The supports look awesome! The others already gave advice on the banking. It looks you'll have a lack of pieces later on, but I hope you can pull this off! :)

Posted Image

#8 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

You guys could have a mini Cedar Point. With Raptor, Gemini, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak and Magnum XL 200! I love the first picture. It's spectacular. I really hope you're able to finish this, it'll be amazing to watch.

Does this mean the Theme Park was cancelled?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#9 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

You guys could have a mini Cedar Point. With Raptor, Gemini, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak and Magnum XL 200! I love the first picture. It's spectacular. I really hope you're able to finish this, it'll be amazing to watch.

I've thought that too. We just need theburritomaster to rebuild MF and Maverick, someone to build TTD (since everyone does that) and we would basically have all of the important ones besides Wicked Twister and Mantis. Haha what a dream that would be... CP would set aside a whole room...no larger....idk, in order to fit that.

But this IS the Raptor construction thread, and I must say that I am genuinely amazed! The supports are so detailed and perfect! My only concern, as others have stated, is that the drop is without question not steep enough at that point. Do something about that, and it'll already be a masterpiece!

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#10 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

O_O Dude, thats awesome!

Thanks!

^^ I don't know...

How many people are building recreations of Cedar Point coasters? 4? Not complaining at all though..

I think the turn needs to be a little more banked. Here is a link to some pictures that show that it needs more banking: Raptor Photos by timonator1 | Photobucket

Keep up the great work! Hope you can finish it!!

Thanks. I added some more banking but it is hard to get it bank anymore. If it still needs more banking let me know.

I was thinking earlier on today what would happen if someone built Raptor at Cedar Point. If you're beginning to get low on some pieces already then good luck finishing the rest of it. At this scale it'll be difficult unless you can get a lot more.

We will see what happens. Pieces won't be an issue because I can buy more.

I'm so glad that someone is going to try to recreate this for once (I know TBM tried this, but he didn't get too far because he didn't want to build it or something). The supports are crazy awesome! I can't imagine building an invert that tall and having to track them up in the air while maintaining a sturdy structure.

The only thing I can say needs some work is the angle of the drop. At the beginning it is definitely not so steep, but it dives down a little sooner than you currently have. Click.

Thanks. I am concerned because my custom cars are heavy and they might shake the turn a lot. I did change the drop, let me know if it looks better.

Yes! This will be fun to watch. Yeah you definitely need more banking/flaring, and the angle of the drop needs to be steeper, especially after the banking. Pic: http://upload.wikime...t_east_view.jpg

I think I made it better. Let me know.

The supports look awesome! The others already gave advice on the banking. It looks you'll have a lack of pieces later on, but I hope you can pull this off! :)

Thanks! I should be buying more pieces soon.

The theme park is done and destroyed. We are working on a final video right now. (We always take forever on final videos. :P Which reminds me I don't think we ever posted TTD in the model database. Better do that soon.)

I've thought that too. We just need theburritomaster to rebuild MF and Maverick, someone to build TTD (since everyone does that) and we would basically have all of the important ones besides Wicked Twister and Mantis. Haha what a dream that would be... CP would set aside a whole room...no larger....idk, in order to fit that.

But this IS the Raptor construction thread, and I must say that I am genuinely amazed! The supports are so detailed and perfect! My only concern, as others have stated, is that the drop is without question not steep enough at that point. Do something about that, and it'll already be a masterpiece!

Thank you! Let me know it I fixed it.

Alright guys, this will be a slow thread due to my lack of pieces but I promise you that I will do whatever I can to get this coaster done.

I have some pictures of the drop before and after.

before
Posted Image

after

Posted Image

before

Posted Image

after

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

This hole thing is looking good. only thing I would try to fix is probably make the drop a little bit steeper and you should be good.

#12 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

Yeah, I think the drop is around 55 degrees. Regardless, this looks amazing. If you don't successfully recreate it, you still need to finish this coaster.

#13 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

Love the supports and the height. The lift hill seems to be leaning to the 1st picture; maybe it's just the way the angle is. You have my permission to build :D Gotta love Raptor.

#14 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

Not that I don't have confidence in you because I do from your previous builds, I agree with DDRman, even if you don't recreate it fully, you can still create amazing coaster from this start. What I also agree on is that the drop does need to be steeper although I think you have the banking sorted out this time.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#15 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

This hole thing is looking good. only thing I would try to fix is probably make the drop a little bit steeper and you should be good.

Thanks. It should be steep enough now.

Yeah, I think the drop is around 55 degrees. Regardless, this looks amazing. If you don't successfully recreate it, you still need to finish this coaster.

Should be good now. Thank you.

Love the supports and the height. The lift hill seems to be leaning to the 1st picture; maybe it's just the way the angle is. You have my permission to build :D Gotta love Raptor.

I fixed that. Thank you for permission to build. :P

Not that I don't have confidence in you because I do from your previous builds, I agree with DDRman, even if you don't recreate it fully, you can still create amazing coaster from this start. What I also agree on is that the drop does need to be steeper although I think you have the banking sorted out this time.

thanks. I made it more steep.

I got 375 more metallic red rods and 400 more brown ladder connectors which should get me at least thru the cobra roll. I sorted a lot of my pieces but as you can see in some of the pictures i still have a long way to go, not to mention that Alpal still has two coasters from the amusement park up at his house.

I am nearly finished with the drop and feel that the shaping is close to spot on. My only concern is that the pullout will go to low but worst case I can remove the base in that area. Also to make it so that the coaster does not lean when the cars go around the turn I will add weights at the base.

All of my sorted pieces (I stayed up until 12:30 last night organizing for a total of around 3-4 hours).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures of the drop

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The lift hill

Posted Image

Edited by Josh Monster, 28 June 2013 - 10:10 PM.

Posted Image

#16 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Looks great and smooth so far dude, definelty add middle tubing now to make this awesome ride and recreation even better. Also, should the track spine be a little bit strong with more felxis, half moons, or use gray rods for that instead, just a thought btw!

#17 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Now THAT is what I'm talking about! I think you finally got the angle now. in terms of the pullout, I can't really tell, but it's possible that you may want to start the pullout 2 or 3 inches earlier, but that's it. I think it's time you see about that loop! I think if I tried it, I would make the loop too fat the first time, so be careful! It's smaller than you think. Just like your...nevermind :P

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#18 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

The twist looks perfect. I do think that you should do gray rods on your drop though. Brandon had the same issue as you will because he used flexies. Awesome job!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#19 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

It's smaller than you think. Just like your...nevermind :P

Hehehe.

That drop looks very smooth but grey rods might be better at this scale. Your piece count might not think the same.

Tyndrum

#20 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Ah, much better. Quite amazing looking too.