cedar point knex raptor rollercoaster

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Now THAT is what I'm talking about! I think you finally got the angle now. in terms of the pullout, I can't really tell, but it's possible that you may want to start the pullout 2 or 3 inches earlier, but that's it. I think it's time you see about that loop! I think if I tried it, I would make the loop too fat the first time, so be careful! It's smaller than you think. Just like your...nevermind :P

Thanks for the advice. I think the loop is skinny enough.

Looks great and smooth so far dude, definelty add middle tubing now to make this awesome ride and recreation even better. Also, should the track spine be a little bit strong with more felxis, half moons, or use gray rods for that instead, just a thought btw!

Middle tubing= Done. I can't add anymore connections to the spine and I am not entirely sure I have the pieces to do it. I am planning on switching the the flexies on the track for grey rods after the second half of the drop.

The twist looks perfect. I do think that you should do gray rods on your drop though. Brandon had the same issue as you will because he used flexies. Awesome job!

Thanks! :) I will switch those out soon (I don't want to right now. Go procrastination!).

Hehehe.

That drop looks very smooth but grey rods might be better at this scale. Your piece count might not think the same.

After the bottom half of the drop it will be grey rods.

Ah, much better. Quite amazing looking too.

Thanks! :D

I am almost done with the loop! :D I will be changing everything after the first half of the drop to grey rods in an effort to avoid speed issues. It is so close to making it. I haven't lubricated the cars in a while so hopefully that will get me some more speed too.
Pictures and test video!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Knex Raptor Test 1 (Undersupported) - YouTube

Posted Image

#22 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Your loop looks amazing! Fully support it and get as much height out if it as you can! By the way, speaking of height loss, how much height was lost? I procrastinate all the time too :D

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#23 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I think you might be able to shorten the pullout a bit and still keep the smoothness. This might also save a bit more speed and pieces which your going to need later. But regardless this looks quite incredible, theres something very majestic about that forest of tubes. Also the loop is shaped perfectly i must add!

Keep it Up!
-AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#24 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Definitely shorten the pullout as it looks like a huge speed killer. It might be off from the real ride, but it's better to get preserve speed through the first element than have it creep through. Also, and I know this would be quite a hassle, but would it be possible to replace the flexi rods to grey's? Building at this scale with tubes and not using grey rods seems like there would be a lot of speed loss.

Posted Image

#25 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

I can see a slight sharp spot at the top of the loop but otherwise, this is totally awesome. I know your pains of trying to support an inverted coaster.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#26 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Looks great so far ya support the track good in order to save your speed too!

#27 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Your loop looks amazing! Fully support it and get as much height out if it as you can! By the way, speaking of height loss, how much height was lost? I procrastinate all the time too :D

Thank you. It went from 60" to 48", so a little over a foot. The height difference should be the same as the real ride because I scaled a picture of the ride and used it to dimension the ride.

I think you might be able to shorten the pullout a bit and still keep the smoothness. This might also save a bit more speed and pieces which your going to need later. But regardless this looks quite incredible, theres something very majestic about that forest of tubes. Also the loop is shaped perfectly i must add!

Keep it Up!
-AsM

I feel that shortening the pullout would be more pain than it would be worth but I added grey rods everywhere I could. Thank you.

Definitely shorten the pullout as it looks like a huge speed killer. It might be off from the real ride, but it's better to get preserve speed through the first element than have it creep through. Also, and I know this would be quite a hassle, but would it be possible to replace the flexi rods to grey's? Building at this scale with tubes and not using grey rods seems like there would be a lot of speed loss.

I'm, sorry I am being stubborn but based on my scale the pullout should be around 4 feet and thats what it is right now. I added grey rods in and it makes it now. Thanks for the advice.

I can see a slight sharp spot at the top of the loop but otherwise, this is totally awesome. I know your pains of trying to support an inverted coaster.

I changed the flexies on a lot of the ride to grey rods so I still need to fix the shaping but I will get a picture when I can. It is a very big pain. :P I have had to change the height and placement of at least 4 tube supports.

Looks great so far ya support the track good in order to save your speed too!

Thanks!

Just to let you guys know I will be gone from Sunday to Friday this week at Lawrence Tech. for a Civil Engineering camp. :D
So I won't be able to update for a while. The next update will probably have part or most of the twist.

It makes it now! I have a test video below.

http://http://s1227....html?sort=3&o=0

Posted Image

#28 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Double Post!!! WOOOOO... yeah.

I almost finished the twist and it works quite well. I separated the lift from the rest of the coaster to fit it in my basement. I will separate the drop and the loop next. Pixs and Videos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 fastman xc

fastman xc

Resident Outdoor Builder

• 3182 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Will the drop shake significantly less when attached as one main structure?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

coasters made by:
~FXC, Inc
a subsidiary of
Posted Image
currently featuring ... Pine Mine: A Real Terrain Coaster

#30 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

It looks awesome. Supports, shaping, it all looks great. And if it does shake less like ^ said, it would make it even better.

#31 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Wow, Looks great! I really hope you guys can make it through the layout!

Posted Image

#32 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Can you tell me the height losses from Crest to Loop, then Loop to Zero G? It looks like a lot of height was lost.

The twist looks amazingly perfect!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#33 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

Shaping looks awesome! I hope that you will have enough speed and pieces to finish this recreation!

Posted Image

#34 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

Wow, the shaping is looking great! Just as Helmer said, I hope that you'll have enough speed for the rest of the coaster :)

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#35 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

The shaping on the zero-g roll looks awesome. The speed is definitely a lot better than I thought it would be.

Posted Image

#36 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

It looks great, and the speed is nice too.

#37 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Are you going to put pieces into the cars so they looks a bit more like inverted cars or will just leave them as is. I doesn't matter either way, this is great.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#38 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Looks very smooth and the shaping appears to be spot on, but there does seem to be more speed loss than average. How are your cars weighted? And is there a way to make the base on the drop larger and add more connection points between the tube and base to make it sway less?

#39 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ya I love the speed and shaping of the elects in this recreation from you guys keep it up its all perfect so far, I hope u have enough speed to get through the dreadful cobra roll without an inverted booster ha ha!

#40 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

It`s really looking good , especially the loop and the zero g looks perfect with both of them together.:D Also seems like you have quite a bit of speed left from the zero g. My only complaint is maybe give the drop a little more support so it does not shake that much , but it mite just shake because the lift is not attached.;)