cedar point knex raptor rollercoaster

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

[quote name='fastman xc']Will the drop shake significantly less when attached as one main structure?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The lift holds the drop is place.

[quote name='Old_Hag']It looks awesome. Supports, shaping, it all looks great. And if it does shake less like ^ said, it would make it even better.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='SamIsSoAwsome']Wow, Looks great! I really hope you guys can make it through the layout![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have some ideas if it doesn't make it thru the layout.

[quote name='Coastergeek987']Can you tell me the height losses from Crest to Loop, then Loop to Zero G? It looks like a lot of height was lost.

The twist looks amazingly perfect![/QUOTE]

There is a lot of lost height but it is accurate to the ride, I scaled the whole ride down using a picture. I took a picture of the height loss on my recreation.

[quote name='Helmut']Shaping looks awesome! I hope that you will have enough speed and pieces to finish this recreation![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am out of ladder connectors, again, but I will get more as soon as I can.

[quote name='-=TK=-']Wow, the shaping is looking great! Just as Helmer said, I hope that you'll have enough speed for the rest of the coaster :)

-=Tk=-[/QUOTE]

I haven't lubricated the cars since the amusement park so if I run out of speed that will be the first step.

[quote name='Jumpge']The shaping on the zero-g roll looks awesome. The speed is definitely a lot better than I thought it would be.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! :) I am happy with the speed but the cobra roll will really be a challenge with speed loss.

[quote name='DDRman732865']It looks great, and the speed is nice too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[quote name='CW5X']Are you going to put pieces into the cars so they looks a bit more like inverted cars or will just leave them as is. I doesn't matter either way, this is great.[/QUOTE]

I have gone through three designs for invert cars and have settled on a very basic design because the others are too heavy.

[quote name='Fraggie']Looks very smooth and the shaping appears to be spot on, but there does seem to be more speed loss than average. How are your cars weighted? And is there a way to make the base on the drop larger and add more connection points between the tube and base to make it sway less?[/QUOTE]

The only weight is the custom seats I made. I haven't lubricated my cars in over a month so that is part of it, the other part is the fact that is still undersupported. I like giving my self room for improvement so in case I have speed issues I can go back and improve the supports instead of being able to do nothing.

[quote name='IOAgeek']Ya I love the speed and shaping of the elects in this recreation from you guys keep it up its all perfect so far, I hope u have enough speed to get through the dreadful cobra roll without an inverted booster ha ha![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am dreading the cobra roll. It shouldn't be too hard to make but it will be a pain to get the cars to make it through. Alpal should have a solution if it doesn't make it.

[quote name='crazyracer']It`s really looking good , especially the loop and the zero g looks perfect with both of them together.:D Also seems like you have quite a bit of speed left from the zero g. My only complaint is maybe give the drop a little more support so it does not shake that much , but it mite just shake because the lift is not attached.;)[/QUOTE]

The drop swaying is due to the removal of the lift but the ride does need more supporting and I will get to it... Eventually. :P

I finished the end of the roll and am at the cobra roll. The straight spot on the ride before the c-roll is perfect for a launch in case the cars don't clear the c-roll. I am currently out of ladder connectors so don't expect an update anytime soon. :'(

Anyways, Alpal has not taken part in this project (he is very busy this summer) but he has agreed to do a full station automation and it is going to be AWESOME! This project will take a very long time but I assure you it will not disappoint.

Posted Image
Height comparison ^

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Test video \/

DSCN0867_zpsf145d03b.mp4 Video by Josh-Pliml | Photobucket

Posted Image

#42 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I hope you don't have to put boosters on but if you want any advice from me, make the first half of the cobra roll a little bit bigger than the second half, even if it isn't quite the same as the ride. I made that mistake on Ace and it made it a lot more difficult to have it make the circuit. That is of course if you weren't going to do this anyway.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#43 dunphy14

dunphy14

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

this ride looks unbelievable! keep it up cant wait!

#44 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

I finished half of the cobra roll! Let me know what you guys think of it. Right now the coaster doesn't come close to clearing it but if I lubricate the cars it will get close. I will get a test video after I lubricate the cars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

The cobra roll looks very wide but it does look about the right height. There is a bump on the right side of the second picture that I can see and getting rid of that might make a difference. I hope you don't need a booster but if you do, there's no shame in something this size.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#46 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Wait... I don't see weights under your trains.

Cobra roll seems a bit fat...

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#47 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

When its done the cobra roll may be like an inch to fat, I think it will also look more exact if the tallest support on the cobra roll made the track twist more. Other than that I am very sure that the rest of the coaster is perfect! What I'm most worried about as far as speed is it having to do a big turn into the mcbr.

#48 MrRemcoStyle

MrRemcoStyle

dream'n

• 378 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

looks good maybey make the cobra roll better then looks it great, but i now you still working on it and you make it great!

Posted Image

#49 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

In the second picture, at ~90 degrees there is a sharp spot. Additionally, the roll is also very wide and the un-banked section is too low. Compare this picture to the last picture in your update and you should see what I'm saying.

Other than that, it does appear that your cars aren't weighted. You should check that out when you lube them.

Posted Image

#50 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Is this better. I can still make changes if it needs to be changed. I raised the valley a bit, made it bank sooner, fixed the sharp spot and made it a red rod tighter. I added the next support to get a better idea of the size.

Before
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:46 AM

Well let's see. Comparing this to these:
http://www.coasterga.../cp/Raptor3.jpg
http://ptreport.thri...aptornight4.jpg

The height of the valley in the middle looks good but it still might be a touch too wide. It's much better but from them it almost looks like you've built it too smooth but it's going to be awkward to get it exactly right anyway and it does look very good as it is. You decide what to do.

Tyndrum

#52 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

It might still be a little too wide but it's your decision if you want to change it, it does look better then before. Maybe you could force the track to tilt to at least a 45 degree angle in the middle because it looks a little awkward right now. The end of the cobra roll shouldn't be parallel to the beginning, so when you get there don't make it that way. Good job so far.

#53 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Wow. That's just... Wow. :o

#54 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Whoa, haven't been on here in a while. As Josh said, I have not been taking part in the construction of this coaster, but I do have plans to recreate the station. We both recently went to Cedar Point and I got a lot of pictures of Raptor's station, so it is sure to be realistic. I am hesitant to start building though, for I still have Anaconda and Eclipse (The Eurofighter and the Shuttle Coaster from our amusement park) at my house in running condition, and I don't want to tear them down yet. That would make me sad, but I am willing to sacrifice for this beast of a re-creation. Great job on your perseverance so far Josh. It is strange to just go to your house and check out the progress without building it, but if you need help just give me a call. :)

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#55 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Well let's see. Comparing this to these:
http://www.coasterga.../cp/Raptor3.jpg
http://ptreport.thri...aptornight4.jpg

The height of the valley in the middle looks good but it still might be a touch too wide. It's much better but from them it almost looks like you've built it too smooth but it's going to be awkward to get it exactly right anyway and it does look very good as it is. You decide what to do.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm still working on the shaping but it is getting better.

It might still be a little too wide but it's your decision if you want to change it, it does look better then before. Maybe you could force the track to tilt to at least a 45 degree angle in the middle because it looks a little awkward right now. The end of the cobra roll shouldn't be parallel to the beginning, so when you get there don't make it that way. Good job so far.

I fixed the width but I still need to decrease the angle of the track in the middle.

Wow. That's just... Wow. :o

Thanks. :)

I finished the cobra roll so now I only need to make some minor adjustments to fine tune the shaping. I made one side lower than the other and it looks awkward looking at it straight on but it looks good from other angles. I also angled the base on the second half but I don't know if it is angled enough. Let me know what you guys think.

Sorry about the blurry pictures, I really need a better camera.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Sorry about the blurry pictures, I really need a better camera.

I don't think it's your camera's fault. I think you should try to give the auto-focus a bit more time before you fully press the button.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#57 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

From some angles, it does look awesome but from others, there are visible bumps that I know you've seen. I still think it's a little wide but don't worry, I think you just about have the basic shape in there and it wouldn't be worth all the hassle to change that much so I wouldn't bother.

Tyndrum

#58 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

I don't think it's your camera's fault. I think you should try to give the auto-focus a bit more time before you fully press the button.

Build a little K'NEX Tower and use it as a tri-pod, helps with shaky hands ;) It's the little things :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#59 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

alright guys, I know it has been more than a month but I have been short on pieces and time, i finally got around to buying more and got some building done. Let me know how it looks. If you see something comparison pictures would be cool so that I can fix it easier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 mitch

mitch

i hate hybrid coasters

• 113 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

everything looks perfect. Except for the cobra roll. can you even out the height.

Posted Image