cedar point knex raptor rollercoaster

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#81 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I have finished the turn and the the corkscrew, the corkscrew still has some kinks in the shaping but I will fix it once there is tubing on it. I am currently out of purple tubing but i will get more soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Josh Monster, 19 December 2013 - 08:36 PM.

Posted Image

#82 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

I'm loving this coaster, but the corkscrew is more like a flat spin as you can see here:
Posted Image

Otherwise great work!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

#83 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

The end of the corkscrew has a bit of a bulge but that's about it.

To help with the tubing issue: Take some red tubing and put it on the center slot, there's a 1/3 of your purple tubing there that can be used for the physical rails of the track.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#84 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

Like everyone said the Corkscrew needs a bit of shaping , but other than that Everything else looks good .Even the mcbr drop.Just one thing does it make the corkscrew will decent speed.

#85 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'll have to come over and see the cork! Looks good, although it could be a bit of a tighter twist at the top judging by the picture.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#86 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'm loving this coaster, but the corkscrew is more like a flat spin as you can see here:
Posted Image

Otherwise great work!

Thanks for the picture, the shaping is a lot better now.

The end of the corkscrew has a bit of a bulge but that's about it.

To help with the tubing issue: Take some red tubing and put it on the center slot, there's a 1/3 of your purple tubing there that can be used for the physical rails of the track.

Thanks for the advice, that should work.

Like everyone said the Corkscrew needs a bit of shaping , but other than that Everything else looks good .Even the mcbr drop.Just one thing does it make the corkscrew will decent speed.

I have not been able to test because I had to remove the cobra roll when I built the last section of the ride but it should work well.

First off, sorry I have not updated in a long time, I have been procrastinating for far too long but now I am nearly done. I have one more support until I reach the station, which Alpal is working on right now. I have some shaping to fix and I have to add diagonals to the helix supports. We have to have it finished by the 15th so we might have to skip some of the station detail but we will do as much as we can.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#87 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

This coaster's layout is much more awkward than I remember seeing on YouTube.

Besides that, I am very happy to see that this will in fact work! There are quite a few awkward tubing joints but im sure youre almost out of tubing and have to use the short pieces.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#88 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

My side of the update:
I won't be getting any sleep this week. I am at about 50% completion of the station automation. I hope to have it working by tuesday, it is just time consuming to make automation that raises and lowers a platform and does station gates. However, the switch works just fine, even though it is an inverted coaster, so that as the hardest part as far as thinking goes. The rest is just time consuming and depends on my building speed. BTW, the "switch" that I use is not the switch on a knex motor. I haven't done automation with the knex motor switch since Wolverine Wildcat, and yet I have had automation on most of my rides. Electric motor automation with a transmission style switch and a cross-bow style reset mechanism is the way to go. It is the least problematic automation style I have dealt with. When I get around to it, I am going to post some videos with some explanations.

Wish me luck as I also have a ton of work from school :P

#89 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

It looks like it could use some smoothing out, but the shaping overall is great. How many trains were you planning on running? If it's only one, I feel like automation isn't too big a deal. If it's more than one, then I see, but don't stress out over it too much.

#90 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Yeah, the shaping could be improved. But nonetheless, this turned out to be a great coaster, even with the usage of it that must not be named (booster) I'm looking forward to an official full circuit test :)

#91 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

#92 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

That is soooooooo cool!!

Posted Image

#93 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Very impressive, reminds me a lot of RightWayTrey's automation a couple of years ago. Have you already tried strings to reduce the shaking? It saved a lot of speed on Tatsu.

Posted Image

#94 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

I love me some good old RWT automation. Nice work.

Posted Image

#95 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

That is insane! Very well done can't wait for the final video!

#96 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

That is soooooooo cool!!

Thanks! You should come and see it this Saturday at FHE at 7 pm. Jason's band will be there too. I think the ticket is $5.

Very impressive, reminds me a lot of RightWayTrey's automation a couple of years ago. Have you already tried strings to reduce the shaking? It saved a lot of speed on Tatsu.

I am honored to be compared to RWT. I'll talk with Josh about the strings

I love me some good old RWT automation. Nice work.

Thanks, but my automation style is slightly different. I don't use the battery powered motors, I try to stick to electric.

That is insane! Very well done can't wait for the final video!

As with all of our final videos, it will take a while, so don't hold your breath. :)

Update on automation: got it to work, but there are some little things that need tweaking and it still needs to be tested with the coaster.

Update on coaster: moving begins today. We'll post pictures of the moving.

#97 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

Posted Image

#98 SamIsSoAwsome

SamIsSoAwsome

Construction Foreman

• 407 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

^Bro I'll see if I can! This thing turned out sweet!

Edited by SamIsSoAwsome, 12 March 2014 - 08:32 PM.

Posted Image

#99 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Great photo! Cant wait to see it running!

#100 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:07 AM

Wow, I can't believe I missed the construction of this! This is a fantastic recreation, nicely done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!