cedar point knex raptor rollercoaster

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#101 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

That photo shows how massive this thing really is! This is a great coaster, can't wait for the finished tests.
:D

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#102 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Woah, that thing is massive! I cannot wait to see it running. :)

Posted Image

#103 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

I agree it`s truly an amazing recreation and probably one of the biggest and largest ones I seen in a long time.

K`nex always for life ;)

#104 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

This is amazing. Great work with the tubes.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#105 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Unfortunately we have encountered speed problems, we were not able to test a full circuit until a few days ago because it wouldn't fit in my basement. I will get a test video asap but for now all I have is a picture of the coaster completed. We are going to be moving it and setting it up somewhere else but we are not sure where yet. Suggestions are most certainly welcome, if you have any ideas to help the coaster maintain speed that would also be appreciated as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#106 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Where exactly are you having speed issues?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#107 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

That is beautiful. You could try reinforcing the track, maybe with gray rods.

#108 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Are all of your cars completely cleaned out?
The coaster itself is simply amazing, its one of my favorites. I assuming your speed problem is either the first cork, or the last helix?

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#109 Bassboost93

Bassboost93

Uhm...Yeah

• 212 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Woahh!, thats gigantic roller coaster! but the speed, hmm yeah did you already cleaned out all your cars as Zach already said..?

Posted Image

Loop De Loop!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Racers!

#110 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

The coaster makes it to the final turn or just passed the second cork. I cleaned the top and bottom wheels of the cars and they were lubricated twice, once on Wednesday and again on Saturday in an effort to maintain speed. We are out of grey rods so unless I order more that is not an option. We already switched out the flexi rods in the last section of the coaster with grey rods and turned the helix at the end into a single turn.

Posted Image

#111 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

One thing you could try is to lower the start of the break run, so the last turn will not be uphill, and then have the start of the break run rise up untill it is at a more desirable height. Make sense?

#112 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

I am happy to announce that the coaster is working without any human intervention right now. Sam (Samissoawsome) and I shot videos today, and we got about 75 shots with his gopro. It looks and works great. What did the trick is something you may not like, but it was the only way at this point. We had to add a 3rd, yes a 3rd booster. It is placed after the drop coming out of the mcbr and before the first corkscrew. Since we used the valleys to place boosters, they really aren't that noticeable. The coaster is moving again tomorrow, and will be temporarily stored in my garage. Then we will move it to a more permanent storage location: my church. I talked to my youth pastor, and there is a back room that is not used anymore, the only condition to be able to use it is that Josh and I need to rip out a huge wall mounted desk that is in the room. The room is about 20'x20', and we will be able to store it there until either we have another venue that wants us to set it up, and/or we will set it up outside when it gets warm. We will try to post a test video tomorrow.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#113 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

With all f the effort you have put into this amazing ride, a 3rd booster is acceptable. Even with it, I still believe this coaster will be one of my favorites!
Now let's see that test video!

Posted Image

#114 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

Oh good that is great. Honestly I wish I could be able to build outside. But here in Kansas it can go from 70 degrees sunny to 40 degrees and raining, to windy and deathly hot and then tornadoes. Also I don't really mind a 3rd booster unless it stands out like a sore thumb.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#115 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Wow incredible job I just had to tell you that

K`nex always for life ;)

#116 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

This is probably the most okay I've been with a coaster using a booster. I'm legitimately excited for the final video.

#117 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Alex and I have new info about the coaster. We have a location to set up the coaster, the Grand Rapids Public Museum. Sadly the coaster will not be on display until August 30th so it will be in storage for a while, but we plan on making some improvements so you might get another update before it goes on display. Sorry about the wait.

Posted Image

#118 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Awesome! I don't mind the wait, it'll be well worth it.
Since you added a third booster, do you think you can change the final turn back in to the real helix? :D

Posted Image

#119 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

We will do our best, I certainly hope so. I also want to make use of custom cars even if they are super simple, just to get the effect of an inverted coaster.

Posted Image

#120 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

GET HYPE!!!!

The coaster is on display at the local public museum for a Maker Faire event.
I will try to post some pictures of it tomorrow, but it is rather hectic right now, I spent a total of 10 hours at the museum today, 8 hours yesterday and have another 10 hours ahead of me tomorrow. :P

https://www.youtube....NdOoVeclQLq08tA

Thanks to SamIsSoAwesome for the teaser video.

Posted Image