flat ride windseeker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

I'm planning on getting some 12v motors from Knexusergroup (linked below), but they do not have the US adapters available on the website. Where could I buy the proper adapter for these motors that works with standard US outlets? Also, are there other places to get the 12v motors for a cheaper price?

http://www.knexuserg....html?region=us

I wasn't going to create a thread for this, but I though that if people have the same question as me it could be answered in this thread.

Edited by Jumpge, 12 July 2013 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'm not sure where to get one, but this may help. Here is the information on the adaptor itself.

https://dl.dropbox.c...11 47 11 AM.jpg

Hope this helps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#3 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

See my post here http://www.sscoaster...c-motors-14406/ I don't use the adapters as they require a lot of power strip space and waste a lot of energy in heat. I use the CCTV power supplies in the link for most of my testing. Great alternative to the adapters. I have two of them and am using them to drive 7 motors while I build and test my coaster

Also using an alternative power supply allows you to control the polarity.

I will use the 12V supply from a computer PSU in the final set up (controlled by Arduino w/ Motor shield and/or some mosfets).

(no I won't sell you my adapters, I am hanging on to them for when the time comes for me to sell all this stuff, someday)

(2nd edit)
I find occasional deals on ebay for motor kits but they tend to get bid up. Best deals have been from UK without adapters. I also look for any bulk auctions to see if there is a motor hiding in the pile. I've got a few that way, paying less for a big box of stuff with a motor for less than just a motor.

Edited by ForgotToGrowUp, 12 July 2013 - 10:32 AM.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#4 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

12V min 300mA. Universal adapters are great and you can get them fairly cheap. Should be able to get those at HomeDepot or any DIY store.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 72chevy

72chevy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

I think an nintendo nes power suppy works as well

#6 Killerbunny

Killerbunny

Fear the bunny!

• 554 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

First off, sorry for the bump, but I had a related question and figured it would fit in with this thread.
So, I need a power adapter for my 12v motors. I found this on amazon and was wondering if it would work:
Amazon.com: VideoSecu 12V DC CCTV Security Camera Power Supply Adapter with 4 (2.1mm) Channel Connectors Port PW154 1I0: Camera & Photo
Thanks.

Posted Image

Thanks Spitfire!

Coaster Count: 73

1. Millenium Force 2. Montu 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Raging Bull 5. Maverick

#7 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

It's 12V, it has the correct plug size and apparently it can deliver up to ~500 mA per plug, so you can drive four motors with this.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flat ride, windseeker