blitzkrieg jumpge helmut

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

Terrible day for Cedar Point, Six Flags over Texas, and the amusement industry in general.

Boat rolls back, flips over on Shoot the Rapids:
Shoot the Rapids boat flips; riders injured | Sandusky Register

I can't imagine being underwater still locked in the restraints. Luckily, guests flipped the boat over before any deaths occurred.

Woman falls out of New Texas Giant:
Woman Falls From The Texas Giant To Her Death « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

I have absolutely no idea how Shoot the Rapids failed, but if TTD, Maverick, I305, and the original issues with STR weren't enough, this is the final straw for Intamin regarding their relationship with Cedar Fair. I suspect that the Texas Giant incident was another guest too large for the restraints, but all the details are still coming out and nothing is really certain at this point.

Any comments?

#2 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:47 AM

It has not yet reached the belgian news I will see how long it takes.

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Inversion count: 110
http://www.coastercounter.com/witting

#3 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

I heard about what happened at SFOT, but I didn't hear about Shoot the Rapids at CP. Luckily no one was injured at CP

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#4 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Strange how the two incidents occurred an hour apart. Certainly not good publicity, but rides are still much safer than driving to the parks.

#5 coasterdude1216

coasterdude1216

Shoobie

• 55 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm curious why some modern companies (such as Gerstlauer, who made the New Texas Giant trains) are electing to not put seatbelts on their train designs. Seatbelts have been used since the dawn of roller coasters and in conjunction with harnesses, they provide a fail-safe system, in which the rider would be restrained to the car if the harness breaks loose. Which is exactly what happened.

#6 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Here's the reason you're looking for: ride capacity.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#7 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

The woman who died on New Texas Giant was supposedly ejected going over the double up. She was also large set. I mention that because it most likely wasn't a restraint error, but an operator error. We all have seen the obese people being literally shoved into their seats until they get the thumb up, maybe the ride ops got hasty and then this tragedy happens. I really hope that is not the case, but that is what I am suspecting.

As for STR, I don't know what the hell that was about, haha. I don't even have a theory.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#8 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'm impressed with the guests who managed to flip the STR boat over. One small good thing about an otherwise bleak event.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blitzkrieg jumpge helmut