contest scenery terrain thezachman28 winter

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hello again everybody! One thing I would like to say before I get things started: I am getting a ton more K'nex for Christmas, so I will make this one much better than Xcelerator. Also, yes, the base is unfinished and crazy looking. The color coding does not matter because I am putting snow on the base, and also I am out of grey rods and cannot finish the base yet.
Okay, where to start? I have a lift hill, drop, immelman, and an unsupported turn around. Plans for this coaster will be shown of later, but lets just say there will be tons of theming, and maybe terrain! For now, here are some pictures, and a test!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Al criticism is appreciated!
:) :) :)

Edited by -=Zach=-, 08 January 2014 - 06:32 PM.

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#2 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

I was wondering about the start of your drop where it looks like there's missing tubing? Or is that just me?

#3 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

It is missing. I will fix that! thank you!

Edited by -=Zach=-, 05 December 2013 - 03:12 PM.
I had to re-check to make sure.

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#4 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Okay everyone, I thought it was time to release the layout:

Posted Image

So it may look like too much for the space given, but Remember, I'm using terrain. Thats it for now, let me know what you think! ;)

Posted Image

#5 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

hello again everybody. over the past few days, I have began to work backwards on the coaster. I now have a rise from under the snow into the brake run. I am going to put grey rods in the brake run to straighten it out. Also, I will either get an all terrain trekker or screamin serpent tomorrow. Either way i will get both of them before finishing the coaster. so here are a few pictures:

since I have redone the tubing
Posted Image

Here is a better view of the pullout:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some tests that show if I use a 3 car train, it does not make the overbank. If I use a 4 car train, (looks a bit awkward for this coaster) it does. I still have to weigh the cars, so maybe then the will make the layout.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All comments are appreciated!

Posted Image

#6 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hello everyone! since there were no comments on the last update I just went ahead and moved on. :P So today I bring you a twist, turn, and the last element in the ride. Remember all supports will be redone once I get more pieces. For the final video I have made up my mind to move the coaster out of the ugly basement. I now have a name:
Posted Image

You like it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This picture just shows how much track there is in this small area:

Posted Image

Here is a little spine I made in a few minutes:

Posted Image

And I still need your help deciding whether or not to use the four car train. These two videos show tests with the two trains:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for the comments!

Edited by -=Zach=-, 11 December 2013 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

#7 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

I don't see a major difference in speed, so I would go with 3 cars if I were you. Just because small coasters tend to have small trains.

#8 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

Well everyone, I made an update video on YouTube with some old footage of before I weighted the trains. Now the 3 car train easily clears the turn without any kind of push. Also, I am getting my next two sets (SS, ATT) This week, so expect some updates soon! :)

Let me know what you think!

Edited by -=Zach=-, 16 December 2013 - 12:49 AM.

Posted Image

#9 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag17/Thezachman28/SAM_0468_zps113bc383.jpg[/IMG]

I think you are going to want to do something better with that track splice. Relying on the cross tie to hold the tubes togethe never seems to hold up. If you don't have any of the actual track splices a micro rod or a small piece of wire work well. It also helps if you put them in places where the track is not bending much. Try to offset the splices with each other and any place there is a break in the flexis. Looks like you splice is in the same spot where a flexi ends and right next to where another one ends.

Finally, it does not look like the tubing pieces actually reach each other. What I try to do is start the new tubing with a half inch of OF OVERLAP or so with the preivious section. I wait until I have built and shaped at least 3 feet of track beyond the splice before finalizing the splice because the tubing always shifts a little when you shape the track. Once things are stable I cut the tubing at a 45 degree angle taking a little bit off each piece of tubing (you are only going to lose 1/4 or less on each one). If done right I find that tape is not needed. Tape is just going to cause a bump that slows your train down.

edit: Added CAPS text to clairify my advice a little.

Edited by ForgotToGrowUp, 16 December 2013 - 11:05 AM.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#10 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

^ Thank you for your great advice. I am going to redo all the tubing today using your guidelines. :)

Posted Image

#11 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

So I recently received my SS set and I should get my ATT tomorrow. I redid the tubing as well as some shaping. expect more updates very soon. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Gromit15

Gromit15

Strive For Perfection

• 388 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

What's ATT? Thanks, G12

In pieces logo thing

#13 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

What's ATT? Thanks, G12

All terrain trekker ;)

Posted Image

#14 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Wow, very coster.

#15 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Wow, very coster.

Reference :D

Posted Image

#16 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Oh, the joy of getting new K'nex.

It's so fun isn't it?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#17 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Looks good zach can't wait to see it finished.

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#18 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks to Coastergeek987 for the spine design.

Edited by -=Zach=-, 19 December 2013 - 09:20 AM.

Posted Image

#19 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

Sorry about this post I just had a question: In order for the train to make the layout, I think I will have to make a small tire drive at one point. I was wandering what the best motor for a somewhat fast tire drive? (This is not a launch, just something to push the train.) Thanks!

Posted Image

#20 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

I would use a 12v or a TT motor, I have a 12v and you can gear it up to make it a good speed for what you need it for. I don't have a tt but it should work even better because you won't have to mess with all the wires.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest, scenery, terrain, thezachman28, winter