38 replies to this topic

#1 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

How have you all been?!

I'll start with some explanation!
As most of you know I tryed to sell my collection a few months ago. Until a few weeks ago I wasn't able to find someone who was willing to purshade my whole collection, But as I went up to my knex to take some detailed photo's I started to miss the good old times! I wanted to build again.
I decided that I wasn't able to sell my knex yet and I started with a new project!

Information about my new project!
I think people know me here because of my Unique stations/weird idea's and this project will be no diffrent!
I started to build a Launched coaster with a Tophat! Nothing unique about that right? Well, I builded a Jojo roll on the way up of the Tophat! Or atleast that is the plan. Today I builded completed the shape of the tophat and started with the turn!
But as usual I have some issues. The jojo roll is hard to shape.. and is far from smooth. This is because I can't really build a high ride, the Pull-in is already too small but that will be hidden in the theming. So I've got serveral options to choose from:
*Remove the Jojo roll, so you get a normal tophat
*Fix the jojo roll
*I'm planning a 300 degree turn after the drop of the Tophat. I can also let the ride go up with that turn and let it go down like a normal tophat, that would mean you kinda switch and turn the layout around!

I hope you are still with me haha, I know there are quite some letters above to read. Anyway please let me know what you would suggest?!

Picture time!
Note!: The drop/crest have been shaped as I want them but they are not fully supported yet! Also there are some minor bumps because I retubed it, they will be removed!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So please let me know wich of the 3 options I should go with!
(Or give my some tips to improve the Jojo shape!)

I'll post an update soon! (Depends a bit tho on what option I'll go for - you choose for!)
Leave your comment / opinion behind! I really appriciate it!

#2 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

It's nice that you will build again!
If the jojo doesn't work out, you can try to place him on the way down, I think it will kill your speed less.

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#3 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Thats, um, interesting. I like it, hopefully you can make it work because it looks really nice. What launch system will you use?

#4 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Not that I don't like it, But I think this could be a really nice plain tophat without the jojo roll. Then again, It's always nice to be make something different! :)

Signature not available 

#5 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Wow I love it and I was just thinking that about what ^ said I htink it would also save speed for it coming down on the way done like a Kinda ka type deal jsut nat excatly like it from how your building.Also Please respond back someone I know I`v asked this before but please how to I post construction on sec when I`m using an apple and please don`t jsut say photo bucket I need more explanation Please

K`nex always for life ;)

#6 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

This is so creative! I like the approach you're taking on this ride. Really innovative.
I'd say fix the zero-g roll. It looks great on the ride and it's very different, so please keep it. Just change the shaping a bit, maybe add a bit more heat lining (if possible?).

Posted Image

#7 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

The roll is awesome, definitely keep it. I'd say add the flexie rods on the track, it might help smooth it out a bit. Also, use as many x-ties as you can fit on the roll, it will help a lot.

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#8 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

This build reminds me of something I would do with in RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. I love it!

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#9 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

It's nice that you will build again!
If the jojo doesn't work out, you can try to place him on the way down, I think it will kill your speed less.

I'll stick with the idea on having it on the way up, I think it will save me more speed because launching isn't an issue and in fact a Jojo roll breaks your speed more then a normal drop would! But thanks for thinking with me!

Thats, um, interesting. I like it, hopefully you can make it work because it looks really nice. What launch system will you use?

Thanks! I'm not sure yet, I'll go with a Rubberband launch I think.. I'm not good at all with making things automatic or things like that! But I might steal a launch from our Tutorial area, but that will depend on the speed I need to clear the tophat!

Not that I don't like it, But I think this could be a really nice plain tophat without the jojo roll. Then again, It's always nice to be make something different! :)

I like to be diffrent! I'll stick with the roll, when I finished the ride including the theming you will be happy I sticked with the roll belive me ;)

Wow I love it and I was just thinking that about what ^ said I htink it would also save speed for it coming down on the way done like a Kinda ka type deal jsut nat excatly like it from how your building.Also Please respond back someone I know I`v asked this before but please how to I post construction on sec when I`m using an apple and please don`t jsut say photo bucket I need more explanation Please

Thanks for the response! But I will stick with the roll upwards to keep it unique! :)
Do you want to know how you can add photo's to SScoasters? I use Photobucket tho.. I think you are trying to use it aswel are you? What part of photobucket dont you uderstand?

This is so creative! I like the approach you're taking on this ride. Really innovative.
I'd say fix the zero-g roll. It looks great on the ride and it's very different, so please keep it. Just change the shaping a bit, maybe add a bit more heat lining (if possible?).

Thanks for the love! Check the new and improved version down below!

The roll is awesome, definitely keep it. I'd say add the flexie rods on the track, it might help smooth it out a bit. Also, use as many x-ties as you can fit on the roll, it will help a lot.

Thanks for the tips! They really helped

This build reminds me of something I would do with in RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. I love it!

The old times are the best time aren't they! Thanks for the support mate!

Lucky you!!
I got an hour free today, so I went up and rebuilded the roll and the 1st half of the crest!
The Roll has been fixed and is smooth! And for the crest? I made the 1st half smaller! I think there is a bit more shaping work needed but the idea was: to give the riders a bit or air time. Going really fast up, small crest to increase the G-force! And making the 2nd half bigger to give them the time to brace them selfs for the drop! So they get a nice vieuw straight down!

That also means I got more room to build the jojo, wich really helped! And I got an extra garanite rod of hight that I can spend in the pull in! Anyway pictures will explain more word then I can type haha, so scroll down enjoy the pictures and leave a comment behind!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think it came out quite well! Still need to shape some small area's add some finals supports but I will add them when I got the shape right!
Tell me what you think!!

#10 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

It looks good as it is, but I would make that jojo roll even wider.
Just my thoughts though.

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#11 Yannick

Yannick

Colossos Forever

• 614 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Great Coaster!!!
You should make you're tophat more symmetrical.
It's a very unique coaster !!!;)

Posted Image

Coaster Count: 84

Check out My new Eurofighter

1- Colossos 2- Tatsu 3- Formula Rossa 4- Kraken 5- BlueFire 6- Hulk 7- Dragon Challenge 8- X2 9- Scream(SFMM) 10- Krake

#12 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Too make a bigger pullout you could do a 3/4 roll instead of a full rotation. I like the concept you have.

Posted Image

#13 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:53 PM

The only thing I noticed was the crest. I agree it should be more symmetrical (though I totally understand it'd be a big pain in the arse to change at this point...).

Posted Image

#14 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

I love this concept! It was definitely a good idea to make it taller, the roll was too squished before I think. Other than what everyone else has said, I think the sides of the roll could brought out a little more to make a better heartline.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#15 Killerbunny

Killerbunny

Fear the bunny!

• 554 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

I think the heartline roll could use a bit more heartlining, but what you've got there is a great start.
Also, I agree with Jumgee about the crest.

Posted Image

Thanks Spitfire!

Coaster Count: 73

1. Millenium Force 2. Montu 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Raging Bull 5. Maverick

#16 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

I think the heartline roll could use a bit more heartlining, but what you've got there is a great start.
Also, I agree with Jumgee about the crest.

Okee, Thanks for the comment!

I love this concept! It was definitely a good idea to make it taller, the roll was too squished before I think. Other than what everyone else has said, I think the sides of the roll could brought out a little more to make a better heartline.

Thanks for the thoughts

The only thing I noticed was the crest. I agree it should be more symmetrical (though I totally understand it'd be a big pain in the arse to change at this point...).

It will be a huge pain in the arse to change it again yea.. I haven't changed it yet, I'm aslo not sure if I will kinda depening on how smooth the rest of the ride will be.

Too make a bigger pullout you could do a 3/4 roll instead of a full rotation. I like the concept you have.

Thanks for the idea, but I'll stick with the full roll! It worked so^.^

Great Coaster!!!
You should make you're tophat more symmetrical.
It's a very unique coaster !!!;)

Thanks!!

It looks good as it is, but I would make that jojo roll even wider.
Just my thoughts though.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

I've got an update for you!!
I got quite some things done in the last few days! I Finished the Launch, placed the station! (Wich ofcourse isnt completed yet, there is always room to improve my stations.. you know me haha!) I also finished the turn and started with the speed hill...Wich isn't a speedhill beceause it doesn't make it -.-"
That also brings me to the problem.. The car won't clear the speed hill! The hill itself is 3-1/4 Grey rod high as the Top of the Tophat is 5 or 5,5 Greys high I belive!
Does any one have any idea's how I can get the car over the hill?
(Check the pictures out below and the test video!)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Please tell me your thoughts!
Also If you have any name idea's! Something that will fit the theme wich will be mountins! (Something with venom, or posion animals I've been thinking because of the color of the track!)

Anyway leave your comment behind please!

#17 Yannick

Yannick

Colossos Forever

• 614 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Cool Coaster!!!
The end of the pullout is a bit too sharp, but your camelback looks really nice!
The train will pass the camelback maybe with the speed of launch you will have.

Posted Image

Coaster Count: 84

Check out My new Eurofighter

1- Colossos 2- Tatsu 3- Formula Rossa 4- Kraken 5- BlueFire 6- Hulk 7- Dragon Challenge 8- X2 9- Scream(SFMM) 10- Krake

#18 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Looks nice!
As for the speed, that is a tricky one. Large turns lose a lot of speed, you could try to lower the hill maybe?

#19 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

Instead of having the turn as one big circle, build it as a decreasing radius. It'll help with speed.

#20 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

I didn't know the heartline was after the launch! I thought it would be leading into the turn omg what you have now makes it so much cooler.

On top of what the Stig said, you can also change the pull-in and pull-out. Right now they are kinda sharp, transitioning quickly into the flat turn. If you make them both of them much longer (take more time to meet with the turn and take more time to pull-up out of the turn to the crest) then it should also help save you some speed.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dutch details