dutch details

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

That looks really really nice! Great shaping and pacing - keep going :)

Posted Image

#22 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

I added a barrel roll, or heartline roll, or corkscrew, or zero-G roll... I HAVE NO IDEA! I've always wondered what the difference is, I know that corkscrews are usually bigger and more round but I still can't figure out what it is. I also changed the banked turn before it a little bit because it wasn't attaching to the spine correctly, and it still doesn't, but it's a lot better than it was before. I got the chain lift to work, I've actually been working on it for a while but I haven't been showing it in my updates. It still does have some problems though.

Test 2: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Attached Files

#23 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:27 PM

I like the lay out so far!
But don't forget you should go back to the station ;)

What you've built is a heartline roll btw.

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#24 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

I like the lay out so far!
But don't forget you should go back to the station ;)

What you've built is a heartline roll btw.

After this it will do a right turn and then go back to the station, I think I might have one airtime hill and then a slope that goes all the way to the station so I don't run out of speed. Also what makes it a heartline roll?

Edited by KirbyCoast, 21 December 2015 - 07:18 PM.

#25 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

The point of rotation is around the heart of the rider. That makes it a heartline roll.

You should wikipedea the elements, there is a page that explains a lot of elements

Posted Image
Eruption
Posted Image

#26 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

double post, sorry

Edited by Kevkillerke, 22 December 2015 - 05:40 AM.

Posted Image
Eruption
Posted Image

#27 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:55 PM

Another small update, but big for me! I've been having a lot of trouble with the banked turn before the heartline roll (thanks Kevkillerke for telling me what it was), flexi rod spines and curved track pieces don't go so well together. the micro tan rod/connectors that I was using to connect the track to the spine wasn't attaching very well to the track. It wasn't making the "click" sound when I tried to attach it and it barely held on to the track. Unluckily this part of the track has some of the most stress of any other part so I spent a while trying to fix it. I think I found a solution to it and it seems to work pretty well, not perfect though. Also my cat loves K'nex for some reason, she sleeps in my rollercoaster and brakes things sometimes, I had to leave her there for the pictures because last time I took her away she stepped on the loop and broke it.

Attached Files

#28 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:31 AM

I think that banked turn - and the whole model looks really nice so far! It just needs a bit more support. Each of your tube supports tends to only have one track spine connection - and since tubes are strong, try add a few more per support. Maybe even connect tubes horizontally to make them even stronger? If you're struggling for speed, turn the inline twist/heartline roll into a tiny dive loop (or make the turn a helix) and pop in some airtime on return to the station.

Keep up the great work - you've seriously improved over the last few months!

Posted Image

#29 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

More parts! I built the supernova blast with my friend and it was pretty fun, I might build more things in the future with him. My Dad wants me to try to finish the rollercoaster today or at least the layout, so I'm going to try my best....

Attached Files

Edited by KirbyCoast, 29 December 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#30 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

I've pretty much finished the layout so now all I need to do is make the brake run and the staton. The car is obviously going way to slow for me to need a brake run but I have a bunch of space in between where the track ends and the station. Sorry that the first photo is so blurry!

Final Test video: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Attached Files

Edited by KirbyCoast, 29 December 2015 - 08:44 PM.

#31 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

So... I tried to lube the wheels, it was a good idea at first and the car went through every time with plenty of speed, then after about 5 tries it started barely making it to the second element. I tested out all of my cars and here's what I got: A single red supernova blast car went through the track with a lot of speed but it doesn't have a chain dog and it sometimes didn't make it, the two colorful cars from cobra's curse didn't make it past the second element, and the single orange car didn't make it past the second element. I'm not sure what to do at this point, my parents said that I can only have it up for about a week and a half more. Should I get different lube that might work better for K'nex? or should I try just finishing the track, and for the video just push the car up to the top myself.

#32 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

I would recommend you try wiping down the track, cleaning the wheels, and probably just not living the cars (assuming that they make it without lube). I really hope that you can et this down in time, it looks so cool! Good luck!

#33 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

I would recommend you try wiping down the track, cleaning the wheels, and probably just not living the cars (assuming that they make it without lube). I really hope that you can et this down in time, it looks so cool! Good luck!

It does not make it without lube, but it made it farther than it is now. I think the speed loss may have to do with the vertical loop. it shakes the most of any part on the whole coaster, in the videos it looks fine but for me it shakes a lot. I didn't think I would mention it unless I had to because it seemed to be working and I thought that if you couldn't see it in the video, then in the final video it would be fine. I'm still not sure how I could fix it, but I think the cars will need lube no matter what and I'd also like to be able to make the cars go faster for future creations. Does anyone know something that could help? I found these recommended in some places on the site (I can't remember where): http://www.shop.com/...CFcRffgod8AoABA , silicone spray.

#34 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, I use garage door lubricant. I just don't know how to lube your cars because I don't use vv coasters, so I am definitely no help in that area. However, I would check to see what kind of silicone lube you have in your garage. that's where I found mine. I charts inky hope you can make this work. Good luck!

#35 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

If there is anybody who knows about lining VV cars, it would be the stig. I would recommend PMing him.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#36 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:09 AM

Good news! I finished the layout and the car makes it through! I re-lubed the wheels and cleaned the track and it works a lot better now. I added something to the end that is not on the Italian eurofighter, but I think it's still cool! I will add pictures and maybe a video to this post tomorrow.

#37 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

That's so great to hear! You have done a fantastic job on this whole thing, and also overcoming all of the problems you have run into. (thumbsup) Are you now the first person to re-create this coaster successfully?

#38 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:11 AM

That's so great to hear! You have done a fantastic job on this whole thing, and also overcoming all of the problems you have run into. (thumbsup) Are you now the first person to re-create this coaster successfully?

Thanks! If you see what I did at the end then you might not call it a complete re-creation, but I guess I've made the closest thing to it! My version is more of a mix between Untamed (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called), Italian Eurofighter, and a little bit of custom.

#39 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

This is hopefully the final update for this rollercoaster, unless there are any last suggestions. You can see the part I added in the pictures and video. This re-creation is closer to untamed, but I think I will name it Italian Eurofighter because that's more descriptive. This has been my biggest coaster so far  and I had a lot of fun building it, thank you to everyone who left suggestions/comments!

EDIT: I'm going to start recording the final video.

Final Test: https://www.youtube....h?v=bFtTih5c7Is

Attached Files

Edited by KirbyCoast, 02 January 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#40 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:07 PM

I saw that you have panels... Why not add them to the station floor? This whole coaster looks great, it's a huge improvement from the Kirby Coaster. Can't wait for more.

-Noodles :)

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dutch details