drill hydraulic launch troublemaker

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

From the creator of Troublemaker (Knex Kingda Ka) - YouTube is coming a new launched coaster.

The same launch system will be implemented into this ride with significant improvements. I am looking into ways to improve upon reliability (The winch drum of the previous ride needed constant repairs)

-The eddy current braking system will be overhauled and more effective
-The launch system will be similar but will have general improvements.
-Huge focus on trackwork. Previous complaints regarding the poor Troublemaker trackwork were heard and this ride will utilize realistic tube supports and (hopefully) properly heartlined elements.

There was a lot of questions regarding how this launch worked last time, so the entire construction process will be documented along the way.

Current phase: early construction
Coaster will feature: "Hydraulic launch" first used on "Troublemaker" coaster which utilizes a drill, catch car, sophisticated pulley system, and tension wheel.

-Top hat (Outside)
-Immelman
-Zero G roll
-Eddy current brake run

At this time, the "Revelator" is not expected to run automatically (And it's more fun running it manually!)
Keep an eye out tonight for early construction photos.

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#2 CoasterWarriorUnlessSleeping

CoasterWarriorUnlessSleeping

loves the new acronym

• 121 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

Troublemaker is the reason that I bought my first K'nex set. I'm super excited to see you build something new, it seems kind of crazy that you are going to build again! What made you decide to pick up your K'nex?

I like the layout you have planned. It's not too crazy, and it fits an accelerator pretty well. I will definitely be watching this closely.

#3 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

I've just been feeling creative lately and have wanted to give this a go again. After moving, all my knex have sat idle, I forgot about them for a bit. Glad Troublemaker could be an inspiration, thats great to hear! Has another launch like this been done after it debuted? I searched but haven't found anything close.

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#4 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

As previously stated, here is the first update. (This only 2 days worth of work, so don't expect much)

Posted Image
This is a general overview of the tower for the top hat, and a look at the rough draft state pull up.

Posted Image
This is to be the very, very end of the launch track.

Posted Image
Notice a space has been left in the supports at the very base of the tower - this is where the winch drum house is going to be located.

Posted Image
Early support structure phase for the turn leading into the zero g roll.

Posted Image
General overview of the progress

Posted Image
Detailed look at the tower's tube support structure

Posted Image
Some "special" pieces are on site for the magnetic braking system and launch.

Any questions, and more importantly, suggestions are appreciated! I've never even attempted tube supports before so we shall see!

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#5 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

Nice to see you back Beethoven! I remember your last coaster, your launch system last time was really unique and interesting. I can't wait to see what you do this time to improve it!

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#6 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

Cool.
You shouldnt use ladders on the pullout, you should make the green rods uneven with each other so that the X-ties connect the track and not the ladders.

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#7 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

Happy Friday all! Hows everyones week been? Here's a huge update on "Revelator"

I'm really pleased with parts of this ride, and not too pleased with other parts. Structural construction is nearing completion. Again, this is only my 2nd coaster, and, I've never attempted tube supports. So please, if something looks wrong, or something is really just sucking badly, let me know, and let me know how to fix it. Thanks!

Posted Image
Here, we can see the Immelman, overbank, and heartline roll.

Posted Image
Detailed look at the overbank turn.

Posted Image
A look at the overall layout.

Posted Image
From another angle of the Immelman, turn, and zero G

Posted Image
Zero G roll, I think it's heartlined

Posted Image
Turn action

Posted Image
View of the tower

Posted Image
Overhead look of the whole layout

Posted Image
The turn again

Soon, I will begin the complex process of stringing the cables for the launch system. After dialing in the launch I probably will begin to develop the braking system which I have a few ideas for.

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#8 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:20 AM

The supports look kind of weak, and the shaping on the barrel roll isn't great. It's oddly shaped, with a few straight spots and a few sharp spots. Aslot the exit of the sidewinder thingy looks a little odd. Fix these problems and it will look so much better. I'm liking the layout.

Some tutorials I've found for you:

http://www.sscoaster...-tutorial-7794/
http://www.sscoaster...-tutorial-5423/
http://www.sscoaster...ll-guide-12337/

Find which one works for you the best.

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drill, hydraulic, launch, troublemaker