Gargantuan Falls (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#21 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

I really strongly suggest that you use gray rods instead of flexis. The gray rods eliminate minor bumps in the track, which makes large elements far easier to shape. It also helps maintain speed, since tiny bumps in the track kill speed when the train has a high velocity (which is the first 2/3 of the layout, haha). I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary, but it will make things quite a bit easier for you.

#22 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

Good luck don't use a booster please dude you can do it only if u learn how to conserve your speed and height right :)

Well considering that I never even thought of using a booster I shall certainly do my best. Plus, it's an 8 foot drop. If you can't learn how to keep enough speed from that while building then you probably shouldn't be trying to build this big. It'll be a learning experience but I'm glad I did Megahertz before this. Thanks.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Neither can I. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait. Thank you. ;)

I really strongly suggest that you use gray rods instead of flexis. The gray rods eliminate minor bumps in the track, which makes large elements far easier to shape. It also helps maintain speed, since tiny bumps in the track kill speed when the train has a high velocity (which is the first 2/3 of the layout, haha). I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary, but it will make things quite a bit easier for you.

Yes, this. I added a couple of greys to the drop to see if I could make it work and it hasn't ruined things so far. But like I said, I'll wait until nearer the end when I know how the track will be connected. It should make things easier (at least for me) in the long run shaping with flexis for now and making the connections strong, which they still aren't on the drop. Thanks.

So what have I been doing these last 3 weeks or so? Actually not a huge amount but I did get a good start on the overbank and it's kinda weird. It's big because it's around the same height as me but it's small because the drop just dwarfs it completely and I've checked the scale and it's actually about right height-wise so it surprised me. There have been a few issues with shaping it though which is partly why it took so long to get this far. Judging the radius was awkward and I really just ended up guessing and I've changed it twice today already. I think this is as close as I've had it. Also, I've done better transitions that's for sure but the real life shaping to me always seemed so weird. I tried to get as close as I could anyway and yes, it's still flawed (like most of the shaping on this bit) but compared to what I had at the start, it's so much better. I'm also wondering if I could do something funky with a couple of the supports, not only to make them stronger (I'd be adding laterals to these anyway) but to make it easier for the looooooong turn at the end to wind through. It's not the strongest, most stable thing in the world but as you can see, space will be an issue until I move it out to the garage and continue it there. I will have more room to muck around and try things out which on project like this, I'd be more than willing to do. Anyway enough talk. Pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Funny transition alert...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also got the rough shaping for the bottom of the drop done.
Posted Image

Certainly a few outside opinions would help to give different perspectives on it. Also, it doesn't look as wide in the pictures as it does where I am because I've found that iPad camera seems to stretch it vertically by 5mm for every 100mm which is a considerable amount. I don't know why but it certainly doesn't help things.
So uhhh yeah. That's all for now. I can't wait until I have less work so that I can really knuckle down on it and get things moving. Thanks. :D

Edited by CW5X, 14 February 2015 - 07:36 AM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#23 -i!Koozie!i-

-i!Koozie!i-

!Wazzap!

• 368 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

dat heartline tho! Nothing to complain about.

Posted Image

^Thanks Coasterman345^

1.IRON RATTLER 2.POLTERGIEST 3.SUPERMAN: KRYPTON COASTER 4.TITAN 5.JUDGE ROY SCREAM

#24 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:02 AM

I really can't imagine building something this big with flexis, that just seems so much more difficult to me than using gray rods. But I think the general shaping of the overbank is great! Don't worry about the supports too much right now, since those are easy to change later. I'm glad to see you're still working on this!!

EDIT: What do you use for reference pics if the ride was constructed so recently?

Edited by ~stεεlspectrum~, 14 February 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#25 WickedC99

WickedC99

Put your hands UP!

• 220 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

So Huge. Much Epic. THIS IS MASSIVE! If that thing is 6 feet or more, that would NOT fit in my house!! :D

Good luck.

Founder of Heidrich Construction, LLC.

43931.png

Wicked Cyclone Fireball Goliath Fury 325 Zephyrantes
©2016 Heidrich Construction, LLC.

#26 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

It is a lot harder to build a coaster this scale with flexies, but building the track with greys would not work out with pieces I guess. The general shaping of the turn looks good, but there is definitely some room for improvement. The transition looks a little strange in the fifth picture and in the first picture the turn looks a little to flat. I would not worry to much about supporting at this stage. As steelspectrum said, adding lateral supports later on is a piece of cake.

Posted Image

#27 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:09 PM

I think I made it a little bit better. I didn't really do a whole lot except just raise the middle a little. I didn't want to create random sharp spots which shaping with flexis at this scale causes. It looks pretty close to the reference picture I've been using.

This...
Posted Image

...compared to this.
Posted Image

Obviously I've been looking at other ones too but this one is the main indicator of how I'm doing for me at least.

Edit: Now that I see it completely side by side, it seems depth is the main issue rather than height. Fantastic...

Edited by CW5X, 14 February 2015 - 06:12 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#28 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

I agree about raising the middle just a touch. If you're struggling with flexis causing bumps, I suggest running tubing through the center hole of the cross ties, and maybe a few more if necessary.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#29 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

Yep, that's certainly going to be extremely tough to shape. Looks like the track might need to come in a little more before the top?

Of course, I'm no SS builder, but I think you may just be trying to make the support structure a bit too regular, to an extent that the shaping of the element must conform to the support structure, rather than the other way round. Try going a little off piste - perhaps use your box supports like tubes and try to recreate the final picture?

Whatever you end up doing, just keep going - I'm sure you can make it work!

Posted Image

#30 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

dat heartline tho! Nothing to complain about.

Thanks. It's changed a bit but I think for the better.

I really can't imagine building something this big with flexis, that just seems so much more difficult to me than using gray rods. But I think the general shaping of the overbank is great! Don't worry about the supports too much right now, since those are easy to change later. I'm glad to see you're still working on this!!

EDIT: What do you use for reference pics if the ride was constructed so recently?

Yeah, I'll sort something out with the supports. They can always change. Speaking of change, I take your point after trying greys out. They work. What a surprise. As for reference pics, I'm kinda using a mix of the official simulations on YouTube and the construction pictures of the ride as more of them trickle through and new parts are built. The actual thing is just about complete now and there will be many, many more pictures from visitors online when I'm nearing completion that I don't particularly need just now, although more angles would be welcomed. Thank you.

So Huge. Much Epic. THIS IS MASSIVE! If that thing is 6 feet or more, that would NOT fit in my house!! :D

Good luck.

Good luck indeed. I'll need it. Thank you. :D

PS It's 8 feet 3.

It is a lot harder to build a coaster this scale with flexies, but building the track with greys would not work out with pieces I guess. The general shaping of the turn looks good, but there is definitely some room for improvement. The transition looks a little strange in the fifth picture and in the first picture the turn looks a little to flat. I would not worry to much about supporting at this stage. As steelspectrum said, adding lateral supports later on is a piece of cake.

Same as Steel. Point taken. I always just thought it would be easier with flexis but then again, I've only ever used greys for track on the high 5 element on Chaos Theory so experience was definitely on your side there. Hopefully everything should look a little better now. I think it does. Thank you.

I agree about raising the middle just a touch. If you're struggling with flexis causing bumps, I suggest running tubing through the center hole of the cross ties, and maybe a few more if necessary.

Yes. That technique has helped in the past. I think it was Ace I did that but it was quite awkward. And the bumps have gone with the greys. Thank you anyway. All advice is gladly accepted.

Yep, that's certainly going to be extremely tough to shape. Looks like the track might need to come in a little more before the top?

Of course, I'm no SS builder, but I think you may just be trying to make the support structure a bit too regular, to an extent that the shaping of the element must conform to the support structure, rather than the other way round. Try going a little off piste - perhaps use your box supports like tubes and try to recreate the final picture?

Whatever you end up doing, just keep going - I'm sure you can make it work!

If they're regular now, don't expect them to be in future. I have a couple of funky ideas I'm thinking about doing for these elements but we'll save them for later. Thanks.

Right. I'm well prepared to say that I was wrong. Shaping at this scale is not easier with flexis. They just became too much of a pain and I saw all the problems they caused when I put the remaining tubes on out of curiosity. I looked at many greys I had left and it seemed like quite a lot so I just went for it and I'm glad I did. Even though almost all of the track on the turn is connected by the ball-and-socket and the hinge connector thingies, it's pretty much rock solid. It's a similar story with the drop but those connections aren't quite finished so the movement there is acceptable for now. Anyway, have a look at the new Fury and tell me what you think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The awkward transition is now this...
Posted Image

And since taking a picture with your coaster seems like the thing to do at the moment...
Posted Image
Yeah I'm only 5' 6". Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

If you want to pass comment on the newest bit as well, then it's still a work in progress and bits may change but if you think it's completely wrong, then do say. Some of those flexis might magically morph into greys as well.

Thanks. :D

Tyndrum

#31 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

The drop looks fantastic. Good to see you replaced the flexies by greys, it is indeed a lot easier to work with greys at this scale. Haha, that coaster is so much taller than you are! :D

Posted Image

#32 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

Looks rock solid, with beautiful shaping. Very nice.
I'm only 5'3" ish, so it's all good. ;)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#33 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

^Zach, don't keep your hopes up, you're like 3 foot tall ;)

Looks wonderful. When I have tons of Knex in my room, it stresses me out and I have to take it down...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#34 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

Aha - now I see why your YouTube username is LILChris5x ;) I just hope you don't put the lift motor at the top...ps how old are you? Going by your writing style I would have put you down as about 18 tbh!!

Using the grey rods has certainly worked a treat- I don't think there's anything which needs drastically changing. Keep it up!

Edited by Batwing, 21 February 2015 - 04:17 PM.

Posted Image

#35 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

Because it's fantastic and huge, I am going to have to make a word up... Hugetastic! Lol
For reals I really like it, it seems really accurate.
^His profile says he is 19, but he could have a fake birthdate on here.

Signature not available 

#36 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

Plot twist: I am actually 19. Still could probably get into kids things or child tickets if I wanted too... But that would be creepy.

Tyndrum

#37 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

i believe im 5' 5" with a lot more room to grow doctors predict im going to be like 6' 3" anyway the turn looks a lot better with gray rods now

#38 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

The ride looks fantastic! I really hope you can pull this off. I'm pretty small, I'm only 5"5.5' and 110 pounds, and I'm fifteen. I finally have waiters and wares stop instinctively giving me kids menus! LOL!I just hope I don't stop growing. I was 4'9" three years ago, and I don't plan on stopping. Just like I hope you don't stop building this ride.

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#39 -i!Koozie!i-

-i!Koozie!i-

!Wazzap!

• 368 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

Wow this is amazing! nothing to complain about. Since everybody is talking about height I guess i will say too. I am about 6' tall and I'm only 14 so I'm pretty giant compared to most people at my school.

Posted Image

^Thanks Coasterman345^

1.IRON RATTLER 2.POLTERGIEST 3.SUPERMAN: KRYPTON COASTER 4.TITAN 5.JUDGE ROY SCREAM

#40 Guest_OnePoundFish_*

Guest_OnePoundFish_*

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

^I'm 14 and 5"9', but being short doesn't relate to skill! I don't have the parts to build this big...