• 1031 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

^cmon dood stop bumping threads i though there was an update

#42 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:02 AM

The drop looks fantastic. Good to see you replaced the flexies by greys, it is indeed a lot easier to work with greys at this scale. Haha, that coaster is so much taller than you are! :D

Yes definitely. I don't even want to think about how this next element would look without them. Thank you.

Looks rock solid, with beautiful shaping. Very nice.
I'm only 5'3" ish, so it's all good. ;)

Thank you.

^Zach, don't keep your hopes up, you're like 3 foot tall ;)

Looks wonderful. When I have tons of Knex in my room, it stresses me out and I have to take it down...

Haha. I'm not saying it isn't stressful certainly. It's rather intimidating waking up and seeing this and it's difficult to get around. But I barely go in my cupboard anyway so it's fine. Thank you.

Aha - now I see why your YouTube username is LILChris5x ;) I just hope you don't put the lift motor at the top...ps how old are you? Going by your writing style I would have put you down as about 18 tbh!!

Using the grey rods has certainly worked a treat- I don't think there's anything which needs drastically changing. Keep it up!

As a guess, 18 was pretty good. I'm happy with that. Thank you.

Because it's fantastic and huge, I am going to have to make a word up... Hugetastic! Lol
For reals I really like it, it seems really accurate.
^His profile says he is 19, but he could have a fake birthdate on here.

Trying to make it as accurate as possible. Thank you.

i believe im 5' 5" with a lot more room to grow doctors predict im going to be like 6' 3" anyway the turn looks a lot better with gray rods now

Yes. I agree. Thanks.

The ride looks fantastic! I really hope you can pull this off. I'm pretty small, I'm only 5"5.5' and 110 pounds, and I'm fifteen. I finally have waiters and wares stop instinctively giving me kids menus! LOL!I just hope I don't stop growing. I was 4'9" three years ago, and I don't plan on stopping. Just like I hope you don't stop building this ride.

It took me a long while before I stopped getting kids menus, but I'm a fussy eater and don't eat that much anyway so they probably suited me better. Thanks.

Wow this is amazing! nothing to complain about. Since everybody is talking about height I guess i will say too. I am about 6' tall and I'm only 14 so I'm pretty giant compared to most people at my school.

I knew someone who was like that all the way through primary school and actually ended up around 6 feet. And then I knew somebody else with growth hormone disorder (if that's the term for it) and was about 7 feet tall. Fairly rare though. Thanks.

^I'm 14 and 5"9', but being short doesn't relate to skill! I don't have the parts to build this big...

Thanks. And as much as I am honoured that you would choose my thread to bump a little bit, just keep checking those dates in future. ;)

Right, now this element was horrific to try and shape. There were always bumps half way through and it was always a complete pain. I think I have it pretty close, even if it does have to be lowered by a granite to make it to scale. Also, I'm beginning to wonder about the neatness of this supporting style. I said I wasn't going to keep it the same by the end so I'm going to try something a little different. I'll keep the boxes to hold the shape for now and then at the end or whenever I can, swap them out for tubes with little footers on the bottom and peg them to the grass. I'm hoping it'll work out looking reasonably realistic. I'm not entirely sure of the logistics of this. I'll have to find some way of holding the shape while swapping the tubes in the garage. I think I might employ my weights and string/k'nex ties for this purpose but it should be pretty interesting to work out. It'll also make the coaster fit to the undulating surface of my garden a bit better rather than being restricted to the box shapes. I realise I may be beginning to overstretch myself but I have to do something with the 4 months of holiday I have rather than just working in a charity shop (I'll be doing this as well of course).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I may have gone a bit crazy this time. Words are much easier to say than actually doing everything but I guess we'll just have to see how everything works out. :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#43 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

I think this looks quite nice, though as you said there is still a couple little bits that can be improved. Apart from that this is going to be pretty damn good when it's finished...

#44 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

^cmon dood stop bumping threads i though there was an update

Stop pointing out flaws of his until you can fix your terrible spelling and grammatical errors. It is just as annoying as bumping a thread. Thank you.

Anyways, I like what you have, and it is basically dead-on. It is hard to picture it all together, so I can't wait for it to be put together. Have you made any airhills yet?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#45 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

The overall shaping of the element is good. The only flaw I can spot is the funky shaping almost at the top. It is best visible on the first picture. I hope you get what I mean, it is a little hard to explain.

Posted Image

#46 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

Stop pointing out flaws of his until you can fix your terrible spelling and grammatical errors. It is just as annoying as bumping a thread. Thank you.

Look no body is perfect, O.K.? No need to get pissed about one letter and/or one comma or something out of place. Now, Mr. Grammar Nazi, dont like me?

there is the one weird spot right before it finished turning but it might be the angle.

STAFF EDIT: Video removed.

Edited by pkiknex25, 16 March 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#47 Guest_OnePoundFish_*

Guest_OnePoundFish_*

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

I'm sorry for not looking at the date... I can't get on every second someone posts an update and share my opinion within 20 seconds, so can we just move on?

Like Helmut said, in the first pic everything looks good till the top, where things get weird and is hard to explain, just try to tweak it the best you can and if the train can roll smoothly through the spot, then your done! I want to see these elements put together in the next update just so I can really see the sheer size of this recreation. Keep up the good work! (thumbsup)

#48 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

Excellent work! As Helmut said, there is a *small* straight spot near the top of the turnaround, and the crest may appear a little 'funky' as such, but in reality, the actual coaster has a very similar patch, as can be seen below. Would you believe B&M actually made an element with a small straight spot? Probably to compensate for the forces and the extra funkiness of the turnaround that comes next ;)

Posted Image

You can sort of see it here!

Edited by Batwing, 16 March 2015 - 05:24 PM.

Posted Image

#49 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

Jeez people, chill. Since when did this thread become the argument department?

I am very impressed by the sheer brilliance it takes to come up with the supports that are non-peice consuming and strong. I hope that you will have enough speed to carry throughout the layout, it would be a shame to run into speed issues on such a vastly detailed ride. That being said, how long of a trian will you be running on this re-creation?

Signature not available 

#50 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:19 PM

Look no body is perfect, O.K.? No need to get pissed about one letter and/or one comma or something out of place. Now, Mr. Grammar Nazi, dont like me?

there is the one weird spot right before it finished turning but it might be the angle.

Mostly proper grammar is a part of the forum rules: http://www.sscoasters.net/forum/rules.
And you're not making the occasional mistake; your grammar is just flat out not good. Please make a better effort.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#51 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

I went to carowinds the other day. After lunch, we headed over to fury. MY BODY WAS READY. It got stuck. I have picture proof. No Fury for me. That was my one and only trip to carowinds. Fin.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#52 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

I went to carowinds the other day. After lunch, we headed over to fury. MY BODY WAS READY. It got stuck. I have picture proof. No Fury for me. That was my one and only trip to carowinds. Fin.

Im not really sure why youre posting this here, usually stuff like that can either just go to the longest thread or coaster longest thread.

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#53 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

Im not really sure why youre posting this here, usually stuff like that can either just go to the longest thread or coaster longest thread.

Sorry, I didn't wanna DP in the longest thread. Also, I don't want this thread to die.

#54 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:58 PM

Sorry, I didn't wanna DP in the longest thread. Also, I don't want this thread to die.

1. It won't be resurrected until the original poster decides to post an update.

2. You would rather bump a really old thread than double post in the Longest thread? Like, have you heard of the "Edit Post" button?

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#55 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

Sorry.
TRYING TO MAKE THIS POST WORK

#56 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Thank you for all the comments. As always they are much appreciated. I won't individually reply to them all since it went a little off-piste but that's done now and we've all moved on.

I've had a look at the shaping of the turnaround and I think I've just made the top a little too steep but I'm not quite sure. From some angles, it's too steep but from others, it's not steep enough. I think I'll properly deal with that when I swap out the supports. That way, I'll be able to change the shape more freely and not be constrained by the boxes. I'm actually surprised B&M went with that interesting shaping at the top (makes it much harder to build too :@). It seems to me a bit unlike them but it does add a certain unique quality to the ride.

Moving onto what I've actually done. I built a new drop with a proper spine. I took quite a loot of inspiration from Helmer and Titan with regards to how to shape it but obviously I didn't want to completely copy it so I did my own little thing and I think came out alright. I didn't mind the original first drop but since I decided that the rest of the coaster would be tubed of-sorts, I thought the boxes would look a little bit weird, at least to me anyway. I had to add some bracing to deal with some minor sagging issues but I kept the rest of the supports pretty close to the real thing. I think in reality the crest is also a little bit sharper too but in this context, I think this looks pretty good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still have the other drop up so space in my room is tight but I should get this into the garage when the weather calms down a bit. Then I can really get cracking with all the turns and stuff. Thank you for reading and putting up with my sparse updates all the time.

Edited by CW5X, 10 May 2015 - 01:22 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#57 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

Good job, This looks extremely accurate. My question is are you going to put up the station? Here is me at Fury when the break run stopped working. (Note: I am the ugly one in the Hurley shirt.)

[IMG][IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah242/griff2787/IMG_3035_zpstclbphdn.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

#58 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

^ Hehe. Your shirt matches the coaster perfectly. :P

Wow! The new spine looks great, and did you come up with those supports?, I've never seen them before.
BTW I thought you would never update. :( But you did! :D Yaaaay.

1. Maverick 2. Millennium Force 3.Top Thrill Dragster 4. Bizarro (Six Flags New England) 5. The Beast 6. X2 7. Full Throttle 8. Banshee 9. Xcelerator 10. Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)

Posted Image

#59 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

I really like the spine, and shape of the drop. However, I am worried that your supports of granites and half moons could possibly be too weak. I'd suggest making them thicker, but keeping the theme, as they look really nice.
Good luck with this build by the way, it'll be a heck of an achievement. :D

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#60 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

I really like the crest on this one compared to the last one, it is looking very nice. The drop does look a little weak as Zach stated, but I'm sure it's not that bad, just a few connectors should fix it.

Signature not available