coasterman345 coney island cyclone recreation roller coaster

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

I decided I'm going to try recreating Cyclone @ Coney Island. To try to be exact as possible, I made my lift 1/30 of the actual height, 2.8 feet in height. The drop also just hits 60º just like the real one. I'm trying to figure out what to do about the chain lift, as the crest curves to the side the very top. Here is what I have so far, tell me what you think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#2 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:15 AM

Wow! Your shaping skills have come a long way, and it looks great!

As far as the lift hill, just put an alt. chain dog on the back car to get it over.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#3 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

^ I was going to say the same thing - use a secondary chain dog in the back car. Something like this:

Posted Image

#4 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

I was just thinking a couple of days ago about doing a recreation of this after Fury. But I guess you beat me to it. I think you should probably strengthen the supports that directly hold the track just to preserve as much speed as possible because if my memory serves me correctly, it's reasonably long for its height.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#5 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

Awesome work so far. As much as I respect you for going on an exact scale, it's going to be hard to keep that throughout the ride. It'd best to leave the maximum height and possibly the first couple of elements on that scale, and thereafter make the rest look proportional when possible.

Formally RK500

#6 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

It will defiantly be a challenge, but I think if you try hard enough you can complete it without a booster. As others said a rear chain dog will fix the chain issue because then the chain will be further back. Nicely done so far.

Signature not available 

#7 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

Don't get me wrong, it looks great so far, but something does seem off about that pullout when I look at the last picture.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#8 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:04 PM

Wow! Your shaping skills have come a long way, and it looks great!

As far as the lift hill, just put an alt. chain dog on the back car to get it over.

Thanks! I added a chain dog and that, with the drill lift seems to work nice.

^ I was going to say the same thing - use a secondary chain dog in the back car. Something like this:

I ended up using the micro chain dog design. While the standard is nice, and doesn't have the problem of the micro black rod falling off, it's so big, that it drags to much on the track. Would there be a solution to that?

I was just thinking a couple of days ago about doing a recreation of this after Fury. But I guess you beat me to it. I think you should probably strengthen the supports that directly hold the track just to preserve as much speed as possible because if my memory serves me correctly, it's reasonably long for its height.

Yeah it definitely is very long, I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off. If I can't, I want to see a recreation of it done by you. :P

Awesome work so far. As much as I respect you for going on an exact scale, it's going to be hard to keep that throughout the ride. It'd best to leave the maximum height and possibly the first couple of elements on that scale, and thereafter make the rest look proportional when possible.

Thanks! How does the hill through the lift look in correspondence with the real one? I think mine my be to far back and needs the crest to be another granite out.

It will defiantly be a challenge, but I think if you try hard enough you can complete it without a booster. As others said a rear chain dog will fix the chain issue because then the chain will be further back. Nicely done so far.

Thank you! If I have to use a booster, one of two things is going to happen, A) You won't see it. Or B) I'll edit it out of the footage so you'll never see it. Or hopefully C) I won't need one. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great so far, but something does seem off about that pullout when I look at the last picture.

I couldn't find anything, if you see it again, point it out and I'll try to fix it.

Okay, it's been a while but I have made some progress. I complete the first turn and the first half of the next hill. I think the turn looks a little funny. My brother has told me the turn needs to be more step at the top. What do you guys think? I have a bunch of pictures, and a test video at the bottom. Enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Coasterman345, 17 June 2015 - 02:07 PM.

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#9 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

Looks good! The drop looks like it needs to be straightened out a bit. On the turnaround, it doesn't seem to go horizontal, like you have it, it only moves down a little bit (Reference: http://i1188.photobu...zpszsvjtutp.jpg ). You also need to add a little banking on the entrance and exit of the turnaround. I think you should try to redo the turnaround, and try to make it how it is on Coney Island Cyclone, but if you like it how it is then keep it.

#10 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

I have to agree with it tim here in that the turnaround isn't quite as flat as you have it there. But that's what you get with a coaster from the 20s and it's better for it. I think the entrance and exit of your turnaround are a little steep anyway so you could just level it out a bit more to improve it.

And if I have time after Fury and my summer heat coaster in the summer then maybe I will give it a go ;) I kinda wanted to try it at some point anyway.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#11 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

Others pointed out the turnaround issue, so there is nothing to critique. It wouldn't even take that much tweaking to make it look better. This looks extremely promising and I look forward to more of it. :)

Signature not available 

#12 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

support the pullouts and pullins on your coaster, cause you're losing a lot of speed loss already, and I can see huge gaps where no supports are at. You may want to lube you trains with silicon spray to to get better performance out of them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coasterman345, coney island, cyclone, recreation, roller coaster