Welcome to Summer Heat 2015

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:03 AM

Many interesting new roller coasters opened or will open this year, e.g. Baron 1898, Cannibal, Fury 325, Thunderbird, Twisted Colossus and Wicked Cyclone. For 2016 there are not that many rides known just yet. In the United States, Cobra's Curse and Mako were just announced, and Europe is anxiously waiting for Taron and Wildfire. However, there is something else that you have not heard about just yet...

Somewhere in the world, the exact location is kept a secret, a new amusement park will open, fully dedicated to K'NEX. Its name is Cedar Flags Great K'NEXventure and it is said it will open with at least two roller coasters and another (thrilling?) amusement ride. The catch is that all rides have not been designed yet. Actually they are asking you to design one or more of those rides for them!

Posted Image

This is the 6th annual Summer Heat on SSCoasters. In collaboration with Cedar Flags Great K'NEXventure we have come up with three very exciting contests which are, unlike previous years, linked together. It is not required to enter multiple contests, but if you can, we encourage you to do so! The deadline for all contests is August 30th, 2015 (Sunday).

Use Your Skill To Thrill
One of the things Cedar Flags Great K'NEXventure wants is an impressive skyline. Part of this skyline should be a large-scale multi-looping roller coaster, with four different inversions. For capacity reasons, this thrill machine should run one or more trains that are at least three cars long. The method of propulsion is up to you; there is no preference for either a lift hill or a launch track. It is important to include a station in your design and to have it not enclosed by the rest of the track. This means the station should be at the edge or at an end of the layout, so it can easily be connected to a ride area / plaza that is also used for the other two rides in the Summer Heat contests. There is no size constraint, as the ride is a design for the park and can be up- and downscaled if necessary.
- Four different inversions.
- One or more 3-car trains.
- Lift hill or launch.
- Station located on / next to plaza (think of out-and-back coasters).
- No size constraint. Design could be 3 feet tall, it could be 8 feet tall, as long as it resembles a well-proportioned multi-looping roller coaster. (E.g. do not build an 8 feet tall lift and then four 1 foot tall inversions.)

Family Fun For Everyone
We all know that amusement parks cannot fair on large, thrilling roller coasters only. Cedar Flags Great K'NEXventure wants you to design a family coaster that is enjoyable to anybody. Needless to say, this ride cannot include any inversions. To be more clear, there is to be no banking beyond 90 degrees. For capacity reasons and because families can be larger than four persons, please use one or more multiple-car train(s). To lessen the thrill for the youngest and the oldest passengers, please refrain from using a launch track and stick to the conventional lift hill. Cedar Flags Great K'NEXventure wants you to have the station at the edge or at an end of the layout (like with the multi-looping roller coaster), so both rides can be close to one another at the same plaza. Again, there is no size constraint. Your design could be a 1 foot tall family coaster, or it could be 8 feet tall, as long as it is well-proportioned.

A Design For The Skyline
Of course Cedar Flags Great K'NEXventure wants an amusement ride that is not a roller coaster, because some people are actually scared of these speed machines. The park knows the members of this website tend to focus on roller coasters, so they kept an open mind and came up with just two constraints. One is that the ride should be located at/near the common ride plaza, like the rides in the other two contests. The other requirement is that the ride adds to the skyline of the park. While this is a vague requirement, technically speaking, it should be clear that, for example, carousels and other low-to-the-ground rides are not suitable for this contest. The ride can be thrilling or not, that is up to you.

Posted Image
Visual reference of what Cedar Flags Great K'NEXventure expects the landlot to be. Make sure your stations connect to the plaza.

Models must currently be under construction or not yet started in order to be eligible for any of the three building contests. It is not required to enter into multiple contests, but if you are able, we strongly encourage you to try. Both Classic K'NEX and Micro K'NEX are allowed. Of course we do allow non-K'NEX parts, if they are used in moderation (think of counterweights, automation, etc.).

As always, models will be judged through the means of polls that can be voted in by every member on SSCoasters. These polls will run in the first week of September. When the polls are closed, the staff decides whether to agree with the general opinion of the community, or to choose winners themselves. Afterwards, the winners will be rewarded with Summer Heat tags and eternal fame on SSCoasters.

Questions about Summer Heat and the respective contests can be asked here.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#2 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:42 AM

Can you enter a coaster that you have already started a thread for or do you have to start your builds somewhere in the June 1st - August 30th range?

#3 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

Can you enter a coaster that you have already started a thread for or do you have to start your builds somewhere in the June 1st - August 30th range?

Models must currently be under construction or not yet started in order to be eligible for any of the three building contests.

Here is your answer.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#4 Dragon_drake_5012

Dragon_drake_5012

Annoying orange

• 214 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

can the multi looping coaster be a eurofighter? I only have 4 good cars...

Edited by Dragon_drake_5012, 01 June 2015 - 08:48 AM.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/oneillperson/Banshee-1.jpg~original
Thanks ~steelspectrum~
Top ten:
1: Banshee 2: Diamondback 3: Beast 4: T Express 5: Steel dragon 2000 6: Leviathan 7: Dauling Dragon 8: Helix 9: expedition geforce 10: racer
(H) My name means dragon (H)
I am the only banshee man

#5 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:14 AM

can the multi looping coaster be a eurofighter? I only have 4 good cars...

For capacity reasons, this thrill machine should run one or more trains that are at least three cars long.

Eurofighters are characterised by having single cars on the track. So if you have 4 good cars to use, you can either choose for a 3-car train or a 4-car train on your ride.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#6 Dragon_drake_5012

Dragon_drake_5012

Annoying orange

• 214 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:18 AM

Are you saying 1 train?

Thanks ~steelspectrum~
Top ten:
1: Banshee 2: Diamondback 3: Beast 4: T Express 5: Steel dragon 2000 6: Leviathan 7: Dauling Dragon 8: Helix 9: expedition geforce 10: racer

#7 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

Are you saying 1 train?

For capacity reasons, this thrill machine should run one or more trains that are at least three cars long.

Yes, that is what I am saying.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#8 ACBread

ACBread

Wheat Hater

• 132 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

Are recreations aloud or do they have to be custom rides.

Woodies Are The Best Coasters!

Posted Image

Thanks CoasterMan345

#9 Dragon_drake_5012

Dragon_drake_5012

Annoying orange

• 214 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:53 AM

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks ~steelspectrum~
Top ten:

#10 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:00 AM

Are recreations aloud or do they have to be custom rides.

If the recreation you have in mind meets the restrictions, I see no reason to disallow that particular recreation.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that. There's few restrictions and they aren't too restricting in my opinion. But a Summer Heat without restrictions would be just another Top Model contest.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#11 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

The looper must have EXACTLY 4 inversions, correct? Also, would the two halves of a cobra roll (or similar element) count as 2 different inversions? Or are you looking for 4 elements that count as inversions?

#12 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

For the kiddie coaster, could it be like a Crazy/Wild Mouse, or does it have to be a normal-ish coaster?

#13 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

The looper must have EXACTLY 4 inversions, correct? Also, would the two halves of a cobra roll (or similar element) count as 2 different inversions? Or are you looking for 4 elements that count as inversions?

Yes, there must be four inversions. No more, no less. Batwings, cobra rolls, sea serpents and the like are counted as two separate inversions. This isn't different from what we have always done. I understand the need to pose the question, though. The two halves of a cobra roll could be seen as an immelmann and a dive loop. So if one were to choose a cobra roll, it would be creative to avoid immelmann and dive loop elements in the rest of the ride (as they would already be present in that cobra roll).

For the kiddie coaster, could it be like a Crazy/Wild Mouse, or does it have to be a normal-ish coaster?

As stated in the rules, you must use one or more multiple-car trains. That would exclude your typical wild mouse coaster. Unless you do something radically different.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#14 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

Maybe I can get a tag before I stop building for a while... Family coaster on my dresser it is!

#15 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:53 PM

I'm guessing the station location for Cyclone @ Coney Island is too much in the center as the track goes to both sides of it?

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#16 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:19 AM

I'm guessing the station location for Cyclone @ Coney Island is too much in the center as the track goes to both sides of it?

Correct. That station is enclosed within the track and structure of the ride, so it is not suitable.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#17 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

I think I'll be entering my first contest.... Oh and by the way guys I've now worked out how many inversions my B&M looper will have! ;)

#18 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

I know this is getting really arbitrary at this point, and I know the answer, but I figured I'd get it in writing: does a "double corkscrew" / "double loop" count as an element with two inversions, or is that not allowed? I'm thinking of arrow coasters that distinctly have two corkscrews in a row. And interlocking corkscrews, under the same guise. I'm thinking of how it could be taken with the cobra roll logic, since that's two sidewinders, but they're at least mirrored.

#19 Dragon_drake_5012

Dragon_drake_5012

Annoying orange

• 214 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:39 PM

i was wondering that as well^

Thanks ~steelspectrum~
Top ten:

#20 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:48 AM

I know this is getting really arbitrary at this point, and I know the answer, but I figured I'd get it in writing: does a "double corkscrew" / "double loop" count as an element with two inversions, or is that not allowed? I'm thinking of arrow coasters that distinctly have two corkscrews in a row. And interlocking corkscrews, under the same guise. I'm thinking of how it could be taken with the cobra roll logic, since that's two sidewinders, but they're at least mirrored.

While what I am about to say is also a bit ambiguous, I am thinking the following: the sidewinder / reverse sidewinder combination (cobra roll) is much more of an established element than the double loop or double corkscrew combinations. These could be split up without messing with the flow of the ride, whereas I think it would with cobra rolls.
The question is aimed at justifying having two corkscrews (2 out of 4 inversions) or having two loops (2 out of 4 inversions). In my mind, the cobra roll logic does not apply, as like you said, the sidewinders are mirrored. It is more than being mirrored, one is reverse. It is like dive loop vs. immelmann.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg