Welcome to Summer Heat 2015

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:38 AM

Yeah that makes sense, you worded it a lot better than I could.

#22 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

I like the look of these contests and the time limit for it. I'll probably try and get Fury done and enter one of these later. Just one question though. I've had a design in mind for a little while and with a little adjusting, could just about be classed as a rather large family coaster, depending on your definition, however the station is raised and you have to cross over two wooden tracks to get to it. It's technically very close to the edge of the layout (probably one grey rod or two track widths) and all you would really need are some steps and a slight straight to get there so it would still be right on the plaza and it's a feature that I would think would add to the ride in general. Would I be correct in saying that this would have to be changed so the station is at the very edge of the ride instead? I know that if you let one person bend the rules, the rest will do it as well. Sorry if this is a very specific question. I just like to set the scene a bit before I build.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#23 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

I know that if you let one person bend the rules, the rest will do it as well.

That is exactly why I cannot allow this. Sorry.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#24 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

Fair enough. Pretty much what I expected but I had to clarify.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#25 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:11 PM

For the station then that means there's no track above or below it and its on the ground?
Edit: Are inclined loops and overbanks counted as inversions? And can we have more than 1 lift/launch?

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 15 June 2015 - 03:19 PM.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#26 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:33 PM

For the station then that means there's no track above or below it and its on the ground?
Edit: Are inclined loops and overbanks counted as inversions? And can we have more than 1 lift/launch?

The station does not need to be on ground level, although I would not suggest you to have it on very high stilts. By not having it enclosed, I meant it should be located on an edge or end of the ride, as seen in a top-view. You technically could have track above and/or below it, as long as the station is still at the edge, located next to the pathways of Cedar Flags Great K'NEXventure.

For Use Your Skill To Thrill, an inversion is counted with the track banked at 135 degrees or beyond. That is 45 degrees beyond being on its side (90 degrees). For Family Fun For Everyone, anything beyond 90 degrees is considered not appropriate for the ride.

And yes, you can use more than 1 lift or launch. Note that only conventional lift hills are allowed in Family Fun For Everyone.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#27 RC117

RC117

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:25 PM

Is a ferris wheel ok for the flat ride.

#28 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:59 PM

^ Yes, a ferris wheel would work.

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#29 TEDDSTER

TEDDSTER

Polar Bear

• 267 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

Just a small question, could a structure (Observation tower like at SFMM or at KI) work for the Skyline part of the contest?

39797.png

#30 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:50 PM

^ I don't see a problem as long as you have a working elevator or lift cabin with it.

SSCoasters Staff

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

#31 W5WAC0sTerS

W5WAC0sTerS

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

For the looping coaster, can you have the cars backwards?

#32 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

Definitely! Please, go ahead.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#33 nerd4Sc

nerd4Sc

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

I'm so confused this is my first ever competion I want to do ... have been on here for 5 years haven't competed in any but I want to. but its solo confusing can any one send me links of there summer heat submitions

#34 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

can I start building my roller coaster now or no.

#35 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:06 AM

^ Why couldn't you? The announcement always marks the official start of the contest.

SSCoasters Staff

#36 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

... It is important to include a station in your design and to have it not enclosed by the rest of the track. This means the station should be at the edge or at an end of the layout, so it can easily be connected to a ride area ...

Well my station wouldn't be at an edge but pretty close to a border
Is it ok to build a queue to an edge?

And when does SummerHeat end?

#37 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:22 PM

Well my station wouldn't be at an edge but pretty close to a border
Is it ok to build a queue to an edge?

And when does SummerHeat end?

I would suggest to change your 180 degrees turn between the station and the lift to a 90 degrees turn. If you do that, your station is at the edge of the layout, regardless of an added queue.

Summer Heat ends at the end of August. The deadline is in the first post.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#38 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

Just a reminder that the deadline is in a week. So far there is only one entry, so I hope to see your entries being submitted in the next week (I'll be sure to do so myself).

If you are struggling with your model and you might not meet the deadline, let me know below.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#39 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

I myself might be a tiny bit short for time with my coaster and if me and Chris cant get a good day (weather wise) this coming weekend we may be a little late, hopefully it shouldn't happen but we'll let you know on Saturday.

#40 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:53 PM

Im having some problems with Rolling Roller Coaster. I might need an extra day or two. But we'll see.