• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Infinity

Infinity

Umm

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Well I've been on here for over a year and I've decided to try to build a ride! This will be my first custom coaster, so it might end up sucking... :?

To start off, I managed to develop the ability to be slightly reasonable with myself (whaaat?)
Posted Image

The lift hill that I'm almost certainly going to destroy:
Posted Image

The track never was that straight:
Posted Image

This is the station and transfer track just before the lift (there's no way I'd be able to make the transfer track actually work)
Posted Image

From the side:
Posted Image

From the bottom of the to-be-made lift:
Posted Image

And finally, from track level:
Posted Image

I'd love to hear your thoughts and critiques!

Also, I feel that I should mention that I have only got 3SS sets, 2RR sets and a few assorted pieces (100 grey rods, 40 all way connectors, 10 ball and sockets, 40 tiny black rods and some other random stuff). Is this too ambitious for me? If so (probably likely), what would you recommend I do?

Thank you! :)

Edited by Infinity, 25 July 2015 - 10:52 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

(Sorry for the bump everyone, but I just dug this topic up from 15 days ago, which somehow managed to fly under the radar! I feel it deserves replies...)

Anyway, I can't believe you haven't had any replies yet, but here's your first. Having actually ridden Shockwave (and even having liked it), I know it's a perfect candidate for recreating being relatively short, but still interesting enough to retain your enthusiasm. And you've made a (quite literally) solid start so far, with that transfer track looking really good.
I'll agree that the lift isn't perfect....but I wouldn't go as far as saying it needs tearing down, since the supports appear to be doing their job well. I can't really tell from the pictures you've given, but I'd say you need to build yourself a base so you can more regularly space the supports, and then you'll have a straight lift hill, as long as you support the track between each support.

Keep up the good work...and +1 from being British ;)

Edited by Batwing, 22 July 2015 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image

#3 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

Wow, this did fly under the radar. I had no idea this thread was on here until Batwing commented on it. Here's your second reply. :)
Since you don't have too many pieces, I recommend taking the grey rods out of the middle hole of the X ties, as they are not needed on those parts of the ride. (Unless you want to keep them there, then that's okay.)
Edit: Batwing does make some good points.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#4 Infinity

Infinity

Umm

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:13 PM

Unfortunately, I'm incredibly prone to getting very hyped up over very simple things. Whilst It was fun building what I did, I managed to entirely forget to take into consideration the amount of room that I have. (rolleyes) (-‸ლ) Due to this, I need to cancel this short-lived project... sorry guys.

Besides, I think that large straight part would have ended up killing a lot of speed. Well done, me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

I don't know how I missed this. :$ The coaster would be a cool one to recreate, it looks fun. If you're planning to use boxes you should put diagonals in, and maybe make yellow/granite boxes if you can.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#6 Infinity

Infinity

Umm

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

Apologies for the double post (if my previous one gets posted... my replies take a while to be put up for some reason).

The height at which I originally had the lift meant that there was no way that I could fit the coaster anywhere, but there was a chance that I could get enough momentum. If I was to simply make the lift smaller, I could probably get it to fit in the room where I had the (now dismantled) lift built. However, as I have said, there is a long straight section of the ride which could quite easily kill a lot of the train's momentum. I will keep building this for now, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this change!

Edited by Infinity, 27 July 2015 - 05:53 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drayton, manor, recreation, shockwave, standup