-= Ion's First Woodie =- *Update 2.5 - 1/24/16*

ionzer0 wooden woodie you_found_the_hint it_will_have_a_barrel_roll dont_spoil_the_secret_;)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

Hello once again, everyone.  I'm cautiously testing the waters with an extremely small build (barely over 2 gray rods tall).  I'm going for a classic wooden coaster layout, but some changes and additions here and there.

I'm running a weighted, unlubricated five-car train at the moment, so hopefully with a little TLC, it'll make the hill with no problem.

Here's what I have so far.

*For some reason, the SSC gallery lowered the quality of the pictures significantly, so I have better resolution versions in my Photobucket HERE*

EDIT: TEST VIDEO DONE AND LINKED... Finally...

If any staff care to edit this post and see if they can get the embed to work, go ahead, I couldn't figure out how to do it.

med_gallery_1297_1035_1091515.jpg4

med_gallery_1297_1035_401766.jpg

med_gallery_1297_1035_1757653.jpg

TEST VIDEO: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Quick Explanation: The first run was me letting it roll of the chain naturally, the second was me giving it a slight push.  Hopefully with a little lubrication, it'll make the layout easily.

Edited by IonZer0, 25 January 2016 - 05:22 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#2 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Looking very good with supports.

#3 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

Looks good so far.  Track work seems very smooth.  Would love to see a direct side view of the hills to get a better look at the pullouts.  Also, how much weight do you have on/in your trains?  Definitely add some lubrication to the axles though, it sounds very loud at the moment.  Otherwise, very good start.

#4 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

Dat secret doe ;) Some direct side views would be nice but the track work seems to be pretty good to me with the exception of a couple of very minor but easily fixable bumps. Barely any shaking too.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#5 IonZer0

IonZer0

• 859 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

Looking very good with supports.

Thanks, it's something new I'm trying out, kind of a hybrid between box, radial, and pinfari.  It's working quite well.

Looks good so far.  Track work seems very smooth.  Would love to see a direct side view of the hills to get a better look at the pullouts.  Also, how much weight do you have on/in your trains?  Definitely add some lubrication to the axles though, it sounds very loud at the moment.  Otherwise, very good start.

Wow, thanks!  It's good to see you back on the forums again!  I posted some side views in this update, so critique away!  I'm running two batteries, one in the second car, one in the fourth car.  I re-lubed, and while it's still quite loud, it now clears the camel back no problem.  Thanks for your input!

Here's my haggard battery harnesses:

Spoiler

Dat secret doe ;) Some direct side views would be nice but the track work seems to be pretty good to me with the exception of a couple of very minor but easily fixable bumps. Barely any shaking too.

Haha, yeah.  Surprised nobody else caught on.  I posted some side views in this update.  I went through a few times to make sure everything was in working order, but I didn't have time to do a thorough run down of the whole track.  Thanks for the input!  Keeps me going. 

--------------------------------------

UPDATE 2

Alright, I am finally back!   Been a while, huh?  Sorry about the massive gap in updates, school is definitely a big chunk of my time gone, and homework pretty much makes building impossible, aside from a 30 minute session here and there.  So don't expect too much progress, although this thing is already almost complete!  I have a lot of pictures this update, so feast your eyes!  They are numbered for your convenience.

Please leave your input in the comments!  I read and reply to all comments, questions, and concerns!  Every piece of advice helps, even a simple, "Looks good".  Thanks!

* Edit:  You can click on the pictures for higher resolution (easier to see) versions in my Photobucket *

IMG_6385_zpsdumbdyqb.jpg

IMG_6400_zpsnfmgrpyu.jpg

IMG_6390_zpsnljk7tcv.jpg

IMG_6394_zpsgdhz1lfe.jpg

IMG_6392_zpsmb8ienkd.jpg

IMG_6408_zpseuobotno.jpg

IMG_6388_zpsshykolti.jpg

IMG_6396_zpsnvnq5jyb.jpg

IMG_6398_zps3nj4l0dh.jpg

IMG_6383_zpsaso9w5w6.jpg

IMG_6402_zpsof6ylm1u.jpg

Edited by IonZer0, 14 December 2015 - 04:56 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

#6 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

There are a few sharp spots that I can see, especially in number 11. There appears to be a straight spot in number 2 with the second hill, but I'm not really sure. I think it looks great in overall and I'm surprised you can get so far with a small ride. Looks great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#7 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

You've got a beautiful little coaster here. :)

Posted Image

#8 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:15 AM

This is a fantastic little woodie! I really like the shaping and style, only thing would be to add a few more TTS connections. Other than that, keeps building! :)

#9 IonZer0

IonZer0

• 859 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

There are a few sharp spots that I can see, especially in number 11. There appears to be a straight spot in number 2 with the second hill, but I'm not really sure. I think it looks great in overall and I'm surprised you can get so far with a small ride. Looks great.

I'll take a look at the sections in question.  Thanks for the input!

You've got a beautiful little coaster here. :)

Thank you!

This is a fantastic little woodie! I really like the shaping and style, only thing would be to add a few more TTS connections. Other than that, keeps building! :)

Thanks!  That whole turn section is still very WIP.  I'll definitely strengthen it in the coming updates.

----------------

Soooooo... I'm not dead.  Sorry for going AWOL.  I had to take down the coaster to make way for a Christmas tree...(low key they both fit, but my parents said I had to move it)  Don't worry, though, because I chunked the coaster, and stored it in a different location.  Now that the tree is down, I have my space back, and the coaster will be continued.  Here's pictures of the current state of things:

IMG_66381_zpsrgdummm4.jpg

IMG_66401_zpsk3ugipnh.jpg

Edited by IonZer0, 24 January 2016 - 04:20 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ionzer0, wooden, woodie, you_found_the_hint, it_will_have_a_barrel_roll, dont_spoil_the_secret_;)