Iron Shark re-creation

mack sitdown micro

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

yeah, the drop is better now but i think you are going to build an immelman and not a dive loop ;D 

oops. I thought the dive loop was an immelman but where you start with a half loop. Is it the other way around?

#22 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

So I saw this Eurofighter and I thought it looked pretty cool: https://www.youtube....h?v=nDFsP6mFnbM I've only started the beginning immelman so I could re-create this.If anyone thinks I should do this then you can tell me, for now I'm going to continue going custom.

Actually looking at it now, I think I want to re-create this. Not exactly but at least the layout.

Sorry for the double post

Edited by KirbyCoast, 14 February 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#23 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

I'll tell ya, if you don't make this, I'll have to give it a try. However, I really think you should make this one; I feel like you would absolutely nail it!

#24 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

I have decided to build Iron Shark! Here's what I have so far: 

I know that the support in the middle looks ugly, since the track uses it later I might make it look better when I get to it again.

Attached File  P2150008.JPG   192.06KB   0 downloads

I can't figure out how to fix this shaping. I might move the last support a little bit closer to the lift, but I'm not sure if that would help.

Attached File  P2150017.JPG   81.09KB   0 downloads

#25 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know how to fix that problem. However, this is looking fantastic and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

#26 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

I fixed the shaping problem and changed the middle support, I'll probably also change the next support but I'll wait until the next update.

Attached File  P2200104.JPG   257.3KB   2 downloads

Attached File  P2200103.JPG   169.23KB   0 downloads

Test Video: https://www.youtube....h?v=A2RnvJiOLVg

Edited by KirbyCoast, 27 February 2016 - 01:45 AM.

#27 GravitySnake

GravitySnake

Construction Worker

• 124 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:54 AM

The link sends me to the channel of some guy called "TheSprinkledWaffle !!"

pls fix

Also, can we see the heartlining?

Edited by GravitySnake, 27 February 2016 - 12:54 AM.

#28 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:54 AM

Sorry about the link, I fixed it. Also here's a picture of the heartlining, although it will probably change a little bit when I add more track.

Attached File  P2270107.JPG   70.96KB   2 downloads

Another thing I wanted to say is that most of these supports are temporary, the track goes under these supports later in the ride and will re-use them, so I'll have to change a lot of things later. Also there will probably be another update this weekend since that's when I usually work on my K'nex rollercoasters.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 27 February 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#29 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:28 AM

It looks cool so far! And the Heartline is also pretty realistic.

Count: 211 (192 Steel & 19 Wood) 37 Parks

YouTube: www.youtube.com/k1ngdaka88

Disclaimer: Sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm from Switzerland!

#30 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:05 AM

That heart lining is a big improvement on before. Pretty decent height loss as well and pacing as well. I'd say you have a solid start ride now to build on.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#31 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

It looks cool so far! And the Heartline is also pretty realistic.

Thanks! 

That heart lining is a big improvement on before. Pretty decent height loss as well and pacing as well. I'd say you have a solid start ride now to build on.

I wasn't sure about the height loss but looking at it now I think it'll be fine.

Sorry for not posting! I've been busy with homework and on the weekends I was a little lazy, but yesterday I worked for a few hours and I managed to build this:

Attached File  P3120134.JPG   126.47KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P3120135.JPG   113.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P3120136.JPG   234.8KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P3130145.JPG   157.51KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P3130149.JPG   88.99KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P3130150.JPG   101.64KB   1 downloads

Attached File  P3130153.JPG   141.77KB   0 downloads

There might be another small update later today, but I won't be finished with the over-bank turn for a while. I'll need to either change the support on the Immelmann completely (the orange one in the shape of an A), or modify it. If you have any suggestions for the supports please tell me!

Test Video: https://www.youtube....h?v=C02Q_hCEwF0

Edited by KirbyCoast, 13 March 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#32 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

Well the supports around that section of track are pretty complex but I think you've gone the right way about it building a temporary one and then have to modify it. In the end, they don't have to be exactly the same obviously but I think getting a good look at the real coaster and seeing it how it fits together would be my best advice. You can always add in a couple of extra braces or something if it isn't strong enough but if you're only using one car, I wouldn't worry too much. That Immelmann and lift is now pretty much spot on so good job with that anyway.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#33 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:59 PM

Sorry I haven't been posting in a while, here are some pics ( I'll try to get more done over spring break).

Attached File  P3310163.JPG   112.24KB   1 downloads

I measured the drop, and it's exactly 100 degrees.

Attached File  P3310177.JPG   94.12KB   1 downloads

Attached File  P3310175.JPG   90.95KB   1 downloads

I added an S- bend, I think the heartline is okay, but it was really hard to shape because of the track connection in the middle.

Attached File  P3310168.JPG   138.13KB   1 downloads

Attached File  P3310166.JPG   79.21KB   1 downloads

I have a plan for the supports on the overbank so it shouldn't take long to make!

Attached File  ironsharkcompleteImmelmann.jpg   138.11KB   2 downloads This image is extremely useful, but it is also the reason this post has been so brief. When I tried to post it the first time it deleted everything I wrote... ಠ_ಠ .... but it should help a lot.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 31 March 2016 - 11:59 PM.

#34 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:56 AM

I think you're doing pretty well in terms of shaping. There's only so much you can do to each piece of track to get it as close as possible so I'd just say keep progressing steadily with it and it will come out just fine.

Tyndrum

#35 phantom

phantom

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

isn't than an immelman?

#36 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:56 PM

Sorry for being so lazy with updating this. This is yet another small update, although this weekend I have a lot of free time so I will probably at least get part of the over bank done.

Due to speed loss I had to add another layer to the lift hill.

Attached File  P4220300.JPG   194.69KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P4220302.JPG   154.02KB   0 downloads

This is probably the most important thing in the update, I found a compact way to support the immelman, and it's even stronger than the old one!

Attached File  P4220304.JPG   198.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P4220305.JPG   157.03KB   0 downloads

That's it for this update! Hopefully I'll get more done on Saturday.

#37 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Isn't a dive loop just a reverse immelman? Hahah, this coaster looks great so far!

aodlpu7b6bd.png

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same."

#38 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

Isn't a dive loop just a reverse immelman? Hahah, this coaster looks great so far!

Pretty much.

All I've done since the last update was add this support and part of the over bank

Attached File  P4250308.JPG   82.56KB   0 downloads

I would have kept going, but the car won't make it! It comes pretty close (about 3/4 of the way) but it's still too tall. I would usually just make it shorter, but I didn't for two reasons. One if I made it shorter there might not be enough speed for the last element. And two, I tried making it a little bit smaller and it still didn't make it. Of course if I can't figure anything out I will try to make it shorter, but as of now I'm not sure what to do. The only thing I did was clean off the lower wheels and the track. The car has no modifications, so if you do know anything that would help please tell me. 

Update: so I actually tried the supernova blast car and it goes through the whole thing with great speed. I remember this happening with my last coaster so it wasn't much of a surprise, but it still is good. Of course there are two problems with this. One, it ruins the pacing, but I think that's a small sacrifice to make, and the over bank has some hang time. Two, there isn't a chain dog! I have seen people use these cars on chains, so that does give me hope. For now I will make the other side of the over bank, just in case.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 25 April 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#39 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

Glad you found some sort of a solution! Looking good though!

aodlpu7b6bd.png

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same."

#40 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:34 PM

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to continue with this project. There have been too many problems and now the Supernova Blast car doesn't even make it anymore. It was still fun to build and if anyone else wants to build it I'd love to see it. Anyways I have a plan on what to build next. It's not a Eurofighter, it's a kiddie coaster. This time I'll try my best to get it to work. So as of now this project is canceled, although if no one else builds it I might come back to it some time in the future. Thank you to everyone who helped out!

Edited by KirbyCoast, 30 April 2016 - 05:35 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mack, sitdown, micro